GPF Gala | Page 18 | Golden Skate

GPF Gala

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
As my final say I want to offer anyone not to blame France for some minor organizing shortcomings during this competition. Some fundings probably are going more into their security services to provide safety for their French citizens and us silly tourists. They probably paid a decent euro amount to make sure Marseille to be the safest place in the world during this Grande Prix. And obviously this was the money well-spent. Anyways, thanks France for being a good host and providing safe and elegant competition. Some small screwups happen sometimes. Everywhere. Let's not abuse hospitality of our French friends and just say thank you!

This is a joke, right? 'Some small screw-ups'? Look a lot of stuff like the shaky podiums or plastic medals are kind of stupid, but I don't think people would be raising such a fuss about it... but did you for example care to read the interview why they don't have a sponsor anymore? Sounds like their bad organisation & communication is already the reason for that, not the result.
Also there is so much stuff that was awful that is completely unrelated to money: the ticket selling site was only in French, and down for weeks - nobody cared. The unnumbered seats. Both big reasons why we saw so little audience attendance - that problem was 100% on their organisation, just look at Barcelona last year. And it really ends when you look at the horrible ice condition. Heck, so many skaters - who I've never seen complain before - mentioned it. This isn't just some small weirdness you can laugh away, that was an endangerment to their health, given how much more likely it makes them to fall and mess up. If you can't get a halfway decent ice surface, you shouldn't be allowed to hold events. End of the story.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Funny about these Russian Skaters' song choices, like don't even care if you know the lyrics, but Imma use a Russian song now.
I totally support it!

well if VM can skate to Justin Bieber our ppl totally should skate to local music its fair:agree::dance2:

Chinese & Japanese skaters imo should totally skate more to the local music as well!

Last edited:

Upnights

On the Ice
Yes, I wonder if they just aren't bidding for it? (Or whatever the process is) Is it possible they (the USFG) is holding out for the Worlds?

I think it would be cool to bring the final to somewhere stateside. NYC would be really cool I think maybe they could even get some free promotion by hooking up with the lighting of the tree at Rockefeller center . The skaters would have a blast and it's really easy to get international flights (for Japanese fans) in and our of NYC.

It was my dream that we could host the GPF in NYC. There could be great tie-ins with our glamorous outdoor rinks. Although hotels are very expensive in Manhattan, I think a lot of fans would enjoy combining a Christmastime trip to NYC with the GPF. A skating complex was planned that would have been a great venue. Unfortunately, our lousy mayor put some impossible conditions on the financing & the plan is stalled.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
It was my dream that we could host the GPF in NYC. There could be great tie-ins with our glamorous outdoor rinks. Although hotels are very expensive in Manhattan, I think a lot of fans would enjoy combining a Christmastime trip to NYC with the GPF. A skating complex was planned that would have been a great venue. Unfortunately, our lousy mayor put some impossible conditions on the financing & the plan is stalled.

I think Newark, NJ would be a good compromise. The Prudential Center is a great arena and in the downtown area so it has restaurants and bars all in close walking distance, 20 min. train ride from NYC (both NJ Transit and PATH with both providing multiple lines to Newark), direct public transportation and closer proximity to the Newark airport, cheaper hotels in NJ for guests, can try to market the event to all the NJ residents, NYC (all Burroughs and surrounding areas), and the Philadelphia area as well (as it is not a far ride and there are direct train lines to Newark from Philly). They can even try to reach Connecticut and Massachusetts if need be as well.

Newark recently hosted the Gymnastics American Cup with Gabby Douglas competing and the arena was full and it was so successful that USAG decided to have Newark host it again next year.

Last edited:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Have the Russians had the GP Finals recently?

I think the nice thing about putting it somewhere that you know the tickets will sell is that it's always nice to see a full crowd (a full supportive crowd) so I would put it somewhere that they will get that. However, that doesn't help to expand figure skating's footprint. It's a balancing act I guess.

I would say that what ever they did in Spain last year should be a good model to follow. It went to a country without much FS depth or history and they got great crowds.

da96103

Record Breaker
Have the Russians had the GP Finals recently?

I think the nice thing about putting it somewhere that you know the tickets will sell is that it's always nice to see a full crowd (a full supportive crowd) so I would put it somewhere that they will get that. However, that doesn't help to expand figure skating's footprint. It's a balancing act I guess.

I would say that what ever they did in Spain last year should be a good model to follow. It went to a country without much FS depth or history and they got great crowds.

Should just move Trophee to Barcelona.

Barb

Record Breaker
This is a joke, right? 'Some small screw-ups'? Look a lot of stuff like the shaky podiums or plastic medals are kind of stupid, but I don't think people would be raising such a fuss about it... but did you for example care to read the interview why they don't have a sponsor anymore? Sounds like their bad organisation & communication is already the reason for that, not the result.
Also there is so much stuff that was awful that is completely unrelated to money: the ticket selling site was only in French, and down for weeks - nobody cared. The unnumbered seats. Both big reasons why we saw so little audience attendance - that problem was 100% on their organisation, just look at Barcelona last year. And it really ends when you look at the horrible ice condition. Heck, so many skaters - who I've never seen complain before - mentioned it. This isn't just some small weirdness you can laugh away, that was an endangerment to their health, given how much more likely it makes them to fall and mess up. If you can't get a halfway decent ice surface, you shouldn't be allowed to hold events. End of the story.

agree. I could not buy my tickets because the page did not accept my credit card, then when I arrived to Marseille to buy it personally they did not want sell gold seats to me because it was only possible on the internet, they did not know why the page did not accept my credit card and did not try help me. So they had seats available at gold section and they did not sell it to me. If that is not incompetence and even elitism I dont know what is. The only positive thing about this event was they sold entries to practices.

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
agree. I could not buy my tickets because the page did not accept my credit card, then when I arrived to Marseille to buy it personally they did not want sell gold seats to me because it was only possible on the internet, they did not know why the page did not accept my credit card and did not try help me. So they had seats available at gold section and they did not sell it to me. If that is not incompetence and even elitism I dont know what is. The only positive thing about this event was they sold entries to practices.

Geez, I'm sorry for you... hopefully you got a good seat anyway. It's not as if the arena was that full after all :slink:

shyne

Final Flight

You didn't miss much.
My friend paied money for the gold seats (front row too), got a seat with obstructed view, and spend most of her time no where near her original seat. :palmf:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker

Sounds like a horrible experience. I hope all of you who go to Helsinki will have a wonderful time.

The last GPF in Russia was in Sochi before the Olympics, as far as I remember. I think it's a bit frustrating. France has the Tropheé de France and the GPF. I think the GPF should always be in countries that have no Grand Prix event of their own. I can imagine those countries to put much more effort into the event, because it is not business as usual.

Barb

Record Breaker
You didn't miss much.
My friend paied money for the gold seats (front row too), got a seat with obstructed view, and spend most of her time no where near her original seat. :palmf:

yes, some gold seats with really bad view, so unfair they doing that. After my experience this season at ToF and GPF I am going to try just Canada and USA.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I am so sorry for you to experience that. No wonder my friend lives in Lyon but she refused to go to this event. :dumb:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I think the GPF should always be in countries that have no Grand Prix event of their own.
I really hope Jan Dijkema doesn't hear you and gets funny ideas... :slink:
I would *love* for Germany to organize the GPF sometime, however.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

So sorry the experience was less than what you were hoping for. I know you were really looking forward to it. And one question -- how were those seats? They didn't look like they would be very comfortable! From what I could see, I couldn't imagine spending three days sitting in them.

Barb

Record Breaker
So sorry the experience was less than what you were hoping for. I know you were really looking forward to it. And one question -- how were those seats? They didn't look like they would be very comfortable! From what I could see, I couldn't imagine spending three days sitting in them.

well, the last days I walked too much, so I was just happy to have a seat, but yes, the most of people were not very comfortable.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
There was some pressure to move all international competition out of Russia after the Wada stuff. I think they ended up leaving it to individual sports to decide. Figure Skating without Russia would be like .. I don't even know what it would be like. Siberia maybe?

sk8ergirl101

Spectator
Forcing skaters to share a bed, though, when the officials are in a 5 star hotel? That is shameful. I think getting a good night's sleep is paramount for these athletes and I could imagine that being a little awkward - at a minimum - even if the skaters get along well. Any little thing that deviates from the normal routine could be stressful when you are at a major competition. I wonder if it was just those two who were unlucky, or were there others in the same situation?

I heard that most of the American girls were in the same situation bedwise. The "double room" had one bed and one tiny pull out sofa that was deemed too uncomfortable to sleep on by most. Next time the officials should be forced to bunk up or sleep on couches, they're not the ones who need to rest their bodies. And to have the skaters work so hard and then receive plastic medals? It just doesn't seem right. Many of the athletes were dissapointed.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker

Wasn't the ice bad at TdF this year too? And last year they had the mist. I remember Shoma looking like he was skating through a stage of dry ice at one point!

Last edited: