Great rivalries in last 25 years | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Great rivalries in last 25 years

ffionhanathomas

On the Ice
Absolutely - The only reason I didn't bring this one up is because my understanding of this topic was that this was about rivalries since 1988.

Oh oops! Didn't see that, sorry about that :)

One since 1988 would be..Sotnikova vs Tuktamysheva, perhaps?

minze

Medalist
Mao was much closer to Joannie than she was to Yuna in 2010.

Someone defined rivarly and it has nothing to do with scores. Again didnt Mao win 2010 worlds after the olympics. I get you dont like mao but objetivity is important

vera01

Final Flight
Someone defined rivarly and it has nothing to do with scores. Again didnt Mao win 2010 worlds after the olympics. I get you dont like mao but objetivity is important

But after 2010 Worlds, Mao never placed over Yuna again(so far). So, IMO, ever since 2011 Worlds, Mao wasn't Yuna's rival. I think Carolina should be considered as Mao's rival as of now, not Yuna-unless you include Carolina in Mao vs Yuna rivalry, too.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not sure what was going on with Yuna at Worlds 2010 but she should never have competed. It was obvious that the Olympics took everything out of her even more then the other skaters. She looked more nervous than at the Olympics and made bizarre mistakes. That was the only way Mao was going to beat Yuna.

minze

Medalist
But after 2010 Worlds, Mao never placed over Yuna again(so far). So, IMO, ever since 2011 Worlds, Mao wasn't Yuna's rival. I think Carolina should be considered as Mao's rival as of now, not Yuna-unless you include Carolina in Mao vs Yuna rivalry, too.

Without running the risk of making this a mao vs yuna again see the defintion of rivarly in page 2. Because not all threads lead to yuna is better than mao as much as some posters insist on making them so. The thread is simply about rivarly not about who scored what.

chloepoco

Medalist
Not sure what was going on with Yuna at Worlds 2010 but she should never have competed. It was obvious that the Olympics took everything out of her even more then the other skaters. She looked more nervous than at the Olympics and made bizarre mistakes. That was the only way Mao was going to beat Yuna.

Oh boy, here we go again....would've, could've, should've

yunaddiction

Rinkside
Regardless of who scored what...:sarcasm:, Yuna's latest defeat was in 2011 WC by Ando Miki.
Actually Ando is the 2 time World Champion (like Yuna & Mao)

Why don't we also call it 'Yuna-Ando Rivalry'....?

zschultz1986

Final Flight
Because Yuna and Ando aren't main rivals. Yuna and Mao have been competing against each other since juniors. Yuna and Mao are mentioned in the same breath most times, in that, when you talk about Yuna, you don't compare her to Ando, you compare her to Mao, and vice-versa. Kwan's main rival was never Butyrskaya, even though Maria beat her at Worlds. Slutskaya was the one. Sarah Hughes beat Irina, Michelle, and Sasha in at SLC. However, I wouldn't rate Sarah Hughes as a main rival of Kwan as I would Sasha or Irina or Tara. Carolina is similar to Maria in that respect. As was Joannie. They may beat one, or both, of Mao-Yuna, but they're not rivals.

Again, I'm sure at the top that everyone is a rival, at least a little bit, because you are going up against everyone. However, one way to KNOW who someone's chief rival is, is by asking their fans. Ask MOST ANY Yuna or Mao fan "Who is your skater's Chief Rival?" 9 out of 10 times, they'll say the other. Jeremy Abbott beat both Johnny and Evan multiple times in 2008, 2009, and 2010, but if you ask Johnny and Evan fans "Who was Johnny/Evan's Chief Rival: Jeremy or Evan/Johnny?" 9 out of 10 times, they'll say Evan/Johnny.

As for Yuna's 2010 Worlds performance, it was extremely predictable. The Worlds after an Olympic Games tend to be unpredictable, in that: people retire, people don't go, and the skaters who do go have endured a VERY long, and stressful season (especially for the OGM and other medalists) and there tends to be a mental and physical letdown, as they AREN'T building towards Worlds like a usual year, but to the Oly Games.

Also, I understand what you were saying Jammers about how "that's the only way Mao could beat Yuna." However, you must understand that even if you may not have meant it in a negative way, it was taken negatively. The ice is slippery, and Mao produced, Yuna did not. Mao won, and she deserved to win, because Yuna did not perform. Similarly, we can all realize that Miki Ando took advantage of years where Mao and Yuna made mistakes, weren't competing, or were having down years. However, Miki DID take advantage, and full credit to her, she earned her World Titles fair and square. The ISU doesn't award World Titles with asterisks, and neither should we.

Definitely Ando was one of the main rivals at the top of the heap from 2006 on. She is, as you point out, a two-time WC, the same as the other two.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I was trying to think of a way to articulate my feeling about what constitutes a rivalry, and you did it the best way possible, by giving examples. That was the one aspect of PTF's original post that I couldn't sign on with: the idea that some supposed rivalries weren't really rivalries because one person (or couple) of the rivals generally won. Thanks for making that point, Zschultz1986. Kwan vs. Cohen, for example, always felt like a rivalry to me, because although Kwan almost always won, there was the possibility that Cohen could win on any given day. She was a threat to Kwan, though Michelle usually overcame the threat (or Sasha made enough mistakes to fall back.) Now, Kwan vs., say, Amber Corwin would not have been a rivalry in the same vein. Perhaps co-contenders is another way to state the relationship? In any case, the original post sets up a fascinating issue to consider, whether one agrees with every set of rivals listed or not.

Thanks Olympia that makes perfect sense to me and reading this is hard not to include Sasha as one of Michelle's biggest rivals at the time. Certainly, she was Michelle's biggest rival within the USA for the last couple of years and Michelle always triumphed at nationals but with Sasha around no way was that a given outcome. And of course, Sasha got the better of Michelle at two worlds. She wasn't Michelle's only rival during those years but a rival for sure. Clearly, Sasha is always controversial and some believe she was overscored but the judges loved her and I'm sure Michelle thought of her as a major threat. Irina and Shizuka probably did too.

Since the thread is about "great rivalries" I'm on the fence about whether Michelle-Sasha is a great rivalry. For me it was so fun to watch but somehow I think Michelle-Irina and Michelle-Tara will be remembered as a greater rivalry probably because they traded the biggest prizes more. Flattfan does have a point that by the time Sasha got the better of Michelle at worlds, Michelle was probably on the decline (but still good enough to win nationals and bronze at worlds :cool:) But Irina and Tara overcame Michelle more at the peak of her skating.

I say the Kwan/Chen showdown in 1996 was probably the most exquisite of Michelle's career.

I think of Michelle's victories over her greatest rivals the best were probably: 1996 Worlds, Chen Lu, 1998 Nationals, Lipinski and 2003 Worlds, Irina.

minze

Medalist

I can always expect your Mao quote to be negative. Mao went to the Olympics too and took everything out of her. So your point is? So much Mao hate cannot be healthty

Krislite

Medalist
Regardless of who scored what...:sarcasm:, Yuna's latest defeat was in 2011 WC by Ando Miki.
Actually Ando is the 2 time World Champion (like Yuna & Mao)

Why don't we also call it 'Yuna-Ando Rivalry'....?

Why is it not considered an Ando-Asada rivalry when they're both from Japan and competed in the same era and have two World titles each?

Because there's more to a rivalry than titles or scores.

...2003 Worlds, Irina.

2001 Worlds, right? (Irina wasn't at 2003 worlds.)

It's a shame that Lipinski's career was cut short. The USFSA was salivating over the prospects of a Michelle-Tara rivalry for years to come after 1998.

zschultz1986

Final Flight

It's a shame that Lipinski's career was cut short. The USFSA was salivating over the prospects of a Michelle-Tara rivalry for years to come after 1998.

And 2000 Worlds, where she came back and beat both Irina AND Maria.

If you asked me in 1999 if i was glad Tara was gone, as a rabid Michelle fan I would have said: "HELL YES." However, as time and distance has tempered me (somewhat), I agree, that Tara's career was way too short. I may have actually started to like her had she undergone the "artistic blossoming" that Michelle did in 95-96...

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Not sure what was going on with Yuna at Worlds 2010 but she should never have competed. It was obvious that the Olympics took everything out of her even more then the other skaters.

I think she received a significant amount of pressure to compete there after missing out on 4CC in Korea. Adam Rippon, her training mate at the time, even noted that Yuna wasn't herself during the training leading up to that Worlds and that it seemed like she had more pressure than she did prior to the Olympics.

Why is it not considered an Ando-Asada rivalry when they're both from Japan and competed in the same era and have two World titles each?

Because there's more to a rivalry than titles or scores.

There was definitely an Asada-Ando rivalry, IMO, but their rivalry was more about the Japan #1 slot. I certainly don't consider it "one of the greatest", and while Mao is certainly more decorated than Miki, both have two World titles under their belts. It's more like the Michelle-Sasha rivalry, but with less cattiness(?) and with equal amounts of World golds on both sides.

And 2000 Worlds, where she came back and beat both Irina AND Maria.

If you asked me in 1999 if i was glad Tara was gone, as a rabid Michelle fan I would have said: "HELL YES." However, as time and distance has tempered me (somewhat), I agree, that Tara's career was way too short. I may have actually started to like her had she undergone the "artistic blossoming" that Michelle did in 95-96...

I think my thoughts progressed in much the same way yours did: later on, I wished for Tara's career to be longer so she could mature as an artist. However, I didn't get a great sense of growth from Tara as a pro skater during the post-1998 season, so I'm not sure we would have seen any blossoming from her had she remained an eligible skater. Keeping in mind that her hip impeded her in terms of jumps, there was still the chance for her to increase her musicality, and she didn't seem to go in that direction. After all, Katia Gordeyeva as a pro singles skater had weak jumps most of the time, but she could create such a mood on the ice notwithstanding. Tara didn't seem to have that capability, or at least she chose not to develop it that I could see.

I agree that Michelle's greatest triumphs were 1996 Worlds, 1998 Nationals, and 2000 and 2001 Worlds. I give the edge to 2001 Worlds over 2000 because I just adore the Black Swan program, both the skating and the music.

Layfan

Record Breaker

Hmm. the one where Irina pouted over her silver and I think Michelle was recapturing her title after having lost it. (NOT that I'm happy that Irina was sad! I like Irina. I was thrilled with her '05 victory.)

I wonder what would have happened if Lipinski had been able/wanted to continue. It's hard to get motivated after already winning Olympic gold (see Sarah Hughes). Even though it took her a while to find her path, Tara probably made a wise choice.