Great rivalries in last 25 years | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Great rivalries in last 25 years

I just got the latest issue of International Figure Skating. It has a bunch of interesting articles as usual, and one is about Slutskaya. It makes an interesting point that I hadn't given much thought to before: that Irina is the most decorated female singles skater in Russian/Soviet history. How apt that she and Kwan were rivals, considering that Kwan holds that position in American skating.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I just got the latest issue of International Figure Skating. It has a bunch of interesting articles as usual, and one is about Slutskaya. It makes an interesting point that I hadn't given much thought to before: that Irina is the most decorated female singles skater in Russian/Soviet history. How apt that she and Kwan were rivals, considering that Kwan holds that position in American skating.

Russian ladies' skating was really nothing before Slutskaya. Prior to her, Russian ladies had won only 3 World medals, total. Although not everyone's cup of tea, there's no doubt she was a groundbreaker and certainly the most important female skater in Russian history. As such, she was indeed a great rival for Michelle!

deedee1

Record Breaker
Russian ladies' skating was really nothing before Slutskaya. Prior to her, Russian ladies had won only 3 World medals, total. Although not everyone's cup of tea, there's no doubt she was a groundbreaker and certainly the most important female skater in Russian history. As such, she was indeed a great rival for Michelle!

:yes::yes::yes:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Excellent point. I was never a huge Irina fan; her skating just didn't suit my eye.

But one would be blind not to see the importance of her career. The current crop of promising young Russians owes a great debt to Irina Slutskaya.

gmyers

Record Breaker
When she was young Elena vodorezova was held back by figures. but then injuries and stuff got bad. I wonder if moskvina stayed in singles. She did one of the first bielmans. No doubt at all about slutskaya Being the best female ever of all time in singles in russia I just wonder about the possible near misses. Obviously in 1984 you had the bronze medal by Ivanova but that was because of figures and an sp.

Layfan

Record Breaker

Indeed, that is why I'm always pleased when Irina is remembered as one of the greats. I enjoyed watching her despite her flaws. She had such energy and presence on the ice although I admit that it was night and day when she gave sloppy performances versus when she put it altogether as like at 2005 worlds. She's not a skater whose skates I'll revisit even if they have mistakes, like Sasha or Michelle. (although Michelle gave so many perfect performance there's never much of a need to rewatch the flawed ones :) But Irina's 2005 worlds FS was simply rousing and I always like to rewatch it once in a while.