Have any figure skaters provided you light in a dark time? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Have any figure skaters provided you light in a dark time?

arewhyaen

On the Ice
Whenever I need a pick me up, I have a couple go to performance/skaters I go to:

-Any Michelle Kwan performance - but some less popular ones I like to watch are her 2010 Carmina Burana, 2005 Nationals SP, and 97 worlds LP.
-Mirai Nagasu feel good moments like her 2010 nationals (though I usually cut it off before the kiss and cry), 2010 olympics, 2016 worlds SP, 2018 Nationals LP, and 2018 olympic team LP
-Nathan Chen any iteration of his Phillip Glass program, 2022 olympic performances both team and individual
-Yuna Kim 2010 olympic performances, 2014 olympic performances (though I also cut off off the LP before the kiss and cry lol)
-Carolina Kostner, 2014 olympic performances, 2017 rostelecom LP
-Sasha Cohen, any performance where she doesn't fall, and her 2006 olympics LP

There are so many more, but based on my youtube history, these are the most recent that I watched.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Scott Hamilton skating to Paul Simon's "Call Me Al" and "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard."
I especially love "Julio" because Scott has 3 sidekicks: Brian Orser, Kurt Browning, and Steven Cousins. They all look like they're having SO much fun. Be sure to check out Scott's hi-top skates!

and.... would you believe a 4-year-old Nathan Chen? He's got this big red bow tie and does a teeny jump like maybe 3-4" off the ice. And his pose at the end.... I was dying from the cute overload. :love2:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So many wonderful performances already mentioned!

I can never get enough of Todd Eldredge's 1996 Worlds "First Knight" free skate program, and I still get choked up when he puts his gold medal on his mom. I also :love: his "1492" free skate from 2001 Worlds (including his reaction on the ice & in the K&C).

Viktor Petrenko's "Mambo #5" always makes me smile! Ditto for Kurt Browning's"Brickhouse," "Don't Fence Me In," & "I'm Yours."

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist
So many wonderful performances already mentioned!

I can never get enough of Todd Eldredge's 1996 Worlds "First Knight" free skate program, and I still get choked up when he puts his medal on his mom. I also :love: his "1492" free skate from 2001 Worlds (including his reaction on the ice & in the K&C).

Viktor Petrenko's "Mambo #5" always makes me smile! Ditto for Kurt Browning's"Brickhouse," Don't Fence Me In," & "I'm Yours."
One of my all-time favorites!

nguyhm

On the Ice
Most recently between Covid and the "war" I've been finding "solace" in watching
Nathan's Philip Glass's programs (any that I can find either on Youtube or on my DVR)
Olivia Smart and Adrian Diaz's She's a maniac exhibition
Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier's Vincent exhibition at the Beijing Olympics
Vincent Zhou's Sign of the times exhibition at the Beijing Olympics

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
It wasn't a dark time, but every time I watch Michelle Kwan's East of Eden I get choked up. I love that piece of music anyway and the way she puts her heart into it each and every time just always reminds me of why I love figure skating. The expressions on her face and the way she moves her arms was just perfect.