Have any figure skaters provided you light in a dark time? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Have any figure skaters provided you light in a dark time?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have a history of being not a very good sleeper, with the dark hour of 3 a.m. being a frequent wake-can't-go-back-to-sleep time.

Recently when that happens, I bring my Lenovo to bed, prop it open, and watch either Ashley and Timothy's 2022 Nationals skates or Chelsea and Danny's LA comp fs, with volume muted. Slow motion. The calm, beauty and harmony of movement remind me of Who. I. Am. And soothe me back to Sweet Dreamland.

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
During the almost half a year period, I went through an experience that led me to have some emotional and mental trauma. I won't get into what happened, but it was the worst mental experience I ever had. I felt like things weren't looking up. I had to keep pushing through because I'm like that. But I didn't feel very happy. Even seeing my favorite band Hanson during that time period didn't help me feel better (Don't get me wrong, I had fun seeing them, but still). I had an overhang. In addition, grad school was so difficult and I had a very hard time absorbing information for some classes.

I just re-read your whole post, and I "caught" a detail. It's worth remembering that emotional and/or mental trauma can actually change the brain, so that, for instance, someone who usually finds learning stimulating and positive might suddenly have trouble, as you said, absorbing information. It's neurological. Maybe our brains are self-protective, allowing time to heal.

I love your story and am so happy that enjoying Kevin and being inspired by him helped begin the healing process for you.

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
I thought about this so much. I know that some people have athletes, musicians, influencers, artists, etc that they say saved their life. I never had one of those, but one figure skater I would say brought me light during a dark time.

As some of you know, I'm a fan of now-retired skater Kevin Reynolds. I have a great appreciation for him for creativity, perseverance, and being ahead of his time for being the only man to land 2 quads in a short program for 4 years. It was because of him, I learned the rules of figure skating/program creation in a way. In May 2017, I saw the GP assignments were posted and I saw that Kevin was going to Skate America. I was so excited because I would finally get a chance to see him skate in person. So me and my family bought tickets and such. During the almost half a year period, I went through an experience that led me to have some emotional and mental trauma. I won't get into what happened, but it was the worst mental experience I ever had. I felt like things weren't looking up. I had to keep pushing through because I'm like that. But I didn't feel very happy. Even seeing my favorite band Hanson during that time period didn't help me feel better (Don't get me wrong, I had fun seeing them, but still). I had an overhang. In addition, grad school was so difficult and I had a very hard time absorbing information for some classes. I was counting down to go to Lake Placid because I knew I would feel happy. I remember when I met Kevin Reynolds in the hotel lobby (The hotel had an interesting layout). I remember getting a selfie with him (After two attempts cause my phone was out of storage LOL), telling him he was one of my favorite skaters, got his autograph, and showing him my college graduation cap where he was one of four names I wrote on the corners of people that made college a better experience for me. I felt SO happy. My dream came true there and when I saw him skate. After the men's FP and when I was on the way back home, I teared up. It meant so much to me. I felt like me meeting him and seeing him skate helped start the healing process for me. It didn't completely heal it. As grad school finals that semester gave me high stress levels. But it was a start. And I'm forever grateful for it.
During the worst couple of years of my life, when I was trapped in a terrible work/life situation, I used to watch Rudy Galindo's 1996 Nationals Swan Lake freeskate pretty much at least once a day. Rudy's magical skate and its kiss-and-cry aftermath never failed to bring up my mood elevator.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
During the worst couple of years of my life, when I was trapped in a terrible work/life situation, I used to watch Rudy Galindo's 1996 Nationals Swan Lake freeskate pretty much at least once a day. Rudy's magical skate and its kiss-and-cry aftermath never failed to bring up my mood elevator.
That's so lovely! I remember watching Rudy that year and feeling my smile growing bigger by the second.

Such a long time ago...hoping life has gotten better for you since then...

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
I wouldn't pretend to be able to assess or sum-up what watching FS did me mentally, but considering some skaters' physical health problems did help me understanding and curing my own physical health problems. I am extremely grateful to them. They may find it a breach of privacy to have to disclose medical information, but to me it was an invaluable help.

Magill

Record Breaker
Yuzuru Hanyu.
I've been watching his "Masquerade and "Notte Stellata" like hundreds of times within the last week, it literally helped me to push through it.. Like a ray of light and hope in the dark times. Like seeing alll these emotions expressed in such a powerful way has helped me to deal with my own. And his own story adds up to it, too. Thank you, Yuzuru!

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
These days, every time I'm down, I watch Ryuichi & Riku. Their joy is infectious and the perfect pick-me-up. Knowing Ryuichi's story (he was last in almost every competition he entered with his previous partners until he met Riku) makes it even better. I know he's getting on a bit, but long may they continue!!!

alyssamarie

On the Ice
Country
United-States
yes, especially after covid and something else that happened to me. Mostly watch 2014 nats and 2016 worlds, as well as skaters like Ashley, Gracie, Young, Sui/Han, basically any program that's more artistic and less jumps. and a whole bunch of others. Being able to skate with some of the people who I had looked up to as a kid like Ashley has been amazing for my mental health.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And dear Uncle Dick's absolute glee calling it:)

babyskate

On the Ice
Shen and Zhao's Turnadot at Worlds never fails to lift me up. Her smile in the final lift is everything.
Michelle Kwan's East of Eden is my go to program when work is stressful and I need her calming presence on the ice to center me.
Jason Brown's Riverdance, Sinnerman and original Schindler's List are for when I just need to feel emotion on numb days.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Also, Ted Barton. I guess, he qualifies as a skater? I just love his commentary and set-up of the JGP. I am actually thinking about re-watching all the JGP I could find with him instead of keeping up with the rest of this season.

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Also, Ted Barton. I guess, he qualifies as a skater? I just love his commentary and set-up of the JGP. I am actually thinking about re-watching all the JGP I could find with him instead of keeping up with the rest of this season.
I had a seat near place where Ted Barton was commentating (Russian Nationals 2022). It was possible to hear him and watch him work. He's very professional! He was watching very carefully and making some notes during skates.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I had a seat near place where Ted Barton was commentating (Russian Nationals 2022). It was possible to hear him and watch him work. He's very professional! He was watching very carefully and making some notes during skates.
For JGP, he and his team select what they want to show and comment on in replays. I think it’s awesome.