Help! Heel bone inflammation in EDEA Ice Fly (after 3 months) | Golden Skate

Help! Heel bone inflammation in EDEA Ice Fly (after 3 months)

Surge_et_age

Rinkside
Hi everyone,

I bought my Ice Fly skates in September (changed from Overture) and started to have issues with my feet. Overture were comfy as a cloud - I could never imagine I would have such problems with EDEA in general.
First week I could skate in my shoes only 30 mins, then I had to take them off and warm my feet because they were getting numb and cold.
After a month all went away and I skated well.. but after 2 months i started (it became suddenly really) have a pain on my left heel (I am lefty so its my landing leg). I noticed that there is bone ball growing out of my heel.
hours searching in internet - i found it (I am not native english so it took me a while to understand the vocabulary)
here is the exact situation how it looks like "A bony prominence on the back the heel"

https://www.chelwest.nhs.uk/your-visit/patient-leaflets/surgery-services/posterior-heel-pain

and it is killing me.

Today I tried heel Bunga Pad and it squished my heel so much apparently, that after skating 1,5 hours (and when I am skating - I dont know what happens with my body but I am so involved so I dont feel any pain :D) But leaving the rink and I couldnt walk omg. So no bunga heel sock (pad) for me..

What should I do? anybody had a problem like this with bones growing (omg sounds crazy) and adjusting the boot? I went to one fitter (I know only one) and he told me he does not work with edea, but he can try to heat it and push the point a little.. But I dont know - I have heard you cannot heat the Edea boot.. What to do then?

Thank you so much

Any help is appreciated

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Before you do anything, you should see a podiatrist (foot doctor), preferably one who treats skaters. Bring your skates so they can see what’s causing the problem and if it needs treatment. After that work with a good fitter to see if Edeas are right for your feet and if the problems can be fixed, or if you should be in a different boot,

Mods, can this thread be moved to Lutz Corner forum?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you and you are in so much pain.

You need to see a doctor that specializes this kind of injury (podiatrist, orthopedist).

You also need a new fitter.

What level are you and do you require ice flys?

Also, Edea doesn't sound like the boot for you (at least not anymore).

Good luck! :)

withwings

On the Ice
Hmm... I wonder if/how a poster could know that his/her thread is removed to other forum ??:unsure:

Surge_et_age

Rinkside
Ah yes, I apologize - I did not know I put it in a wrong forum. Thank you for correcting me.

and yes, I saw the notification about the move.

Thank you for your advice. I will try to find a doctor.

Surge_et_age

Rinkside
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you and you are in so much pain.

You need to see a doctor that specializes this kind of injury (podiatrist, orthopedist).

You also need a new fitter.

What level are you and do you require ice flys?

Also, Edea doesn't sound like the boot for you (at least not anymore).

Good luck! :)
Changing a fitter is hard.. We have only one fitter in our city unfortunately.
So to heat the ice fly's is not a good idea?
My level is all single jumps(-axel), learning axel and doubles but currently falling %)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Changing a fitter is hard.. We have only one fitter in our city unfortunately.
So to heat the ice fly's is not a good idea?
My level is all single jumps(-axel), learning axel and doubles but currently falling %)
Single jumps into low doubles you don't need Ice Fly in the first place. You might have to travel to a fitter outside of your city.
Heating isn't going to help your issues. The boots don't work with all the issues you're listing, and like I said they are too stiff for you!

Surge_et_age

Rinkside
Single jumps into low doubles you don't need Ice Fly in the first place. You might have to travel to a fitter outside of your city.
Heating isn't going to help your issues. The boots don't work with all the issues you're listing, and like I said they are too stiff for you!
Thank you for your opinion.
Okey.. what would be your suggestion for the better shoes? I am a little lost now - didn’t expect it all like this..

I did quite a long research before buying them and as I spread my ankle in March I wanted a secure shoe. Also I found out that adults when learning doubles and jumping high get into Ice flys - therefore I went for them. (I am a tall adult - prof tennis player in my 20th - so classic tennis body complexion). the overture shoes were a perfect for me before that so I had no doubts so far..
All other shoes I tried (classic ones like wifa) seemed super hard to me

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you for your opinion.
Okey.. what would be your suggestion for the better shoes? I am a little lost now - didn’t expect it all like this..

I did quite a long research before buying them and as I spread my ankle in March I wanted a secure shoe. Also I found out that adults when learning doubles and jumping high get into Ice flys - therefore I went for them. (I am a tall adult - prof tennis player in my 20th - so classic tennis body complexion). the overture shoes were a perfect for me before that so I had no doubts so far..
All other shoes I tried (classic ones like wifa) seemed super hard to me
This is why it's so important to see a better fitter. They can measure you and tell you what boots/brands work best for you.

Why did you not move up in Edea to the Chorus, which is stiff enough for your skill level? You skipped two boots between Overture and Ice fly.

Everyone thinks they need ice fly when they don't even if they are adult.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Sounds like Haglund's Deformity. Pretty common amongst skaters; caused by ill-fitting boots. I saw a skater with HD on both feet at my skate techs' shop back when I was getting fitted (she also wore Ice Flies). That's why it's so important to be properly measured and fitted, and find an experienced tech who can recommend the brand that's best suited to the shape of your foot.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Yup, almost certainly Haglund's 🥲 A memento I have of previous skates that were too big/wide at the heel/too stiff.

Padding/punch-outs can work for some people, but my skates didn't have room for a bunga pad, and punch-outs caused more movement (as my heel is narrow), so I had to change to a different boot brand with a split width. A good fitter/podiatrist/orthopedist should be able to advise the best course of action for your specific situation.

And yeah, please see the fitter/medical professional as soon as possible! If they can minimise the source of irritation (heel movement/pressure from the boot counter) early enough, the deformity goes away over time as the bone resorbs. Mine became so large that they didn't go down after 10+ months of rink closure and I have to be very careful even with everyday footwear not to aggravate them. However, in my current boots the bumps have stopped hurting or growing further, so the deformity is mostly cosmetic now.

Surge_et_age

Rinkside
Yup, almost certainly Haglund's 🥲 A memento I have of previous skates that were too big/wide at the heel/too stiff.

Padding/punch-outs can work for some people, but my skates didn't have room for a bunga pad, and punch-outs caused more movement (as my heel is narrow), so I had to change to a different boot brand with a split width. A good fitter/podiatrist/orthopedist should be able to advise the best course of action for your specific situation.

And yeah, please see the fitter/medical professional as soon as possible! If they can minimise the source of irritation (heel movement/pressure from the boot counter) early enough, the deformity goes away over time as the bone resorbs. Mine became so large that they didn't go down after 10+ months of rink closure and I have to be very careful even with everyday footwear not to aggravate them. However, in my current boots the bumps have stopped hurting or growing further, so the deformity is mostly cosmetic now.
Wow thank you so much for sharing your experience! Can I ask you please what shoes you switched to?

You know.. I am a figure skating fan - I love watching it and I just wanted the same brand as my favourite skater Trusova - this gave me a nice boost for my training. But well health is more important yeah..

Surge_et_age

Rinkside
This is why it's so important to see a better fitter. They can measure you and tell you what boots/brands work best for you.

Why did you not move up in Edea to the Chorus, which is stiff enough for your skill level? You skipped two boots between Overture and Ice fly.

I was thinking to get a boot for longer time - as I am training a lot - I was expecting a good progress and thought it’s better to buy a boot for the next 2-3 years. And also in this forum people write that ice flys are same as chorus so I chose ice fly.

I had to keep myself from buying Pianos 🙈my favourite skater Trusova switched to them recently and I wanted to have the same skates as she. Stupid (yes I know) but true :)

Surge_et_age

Rinkside

Ah and to add.. I assumed that a better equipment would simply boost my progress.. I have to say I still don’t understand why it is not :) and how then the other skaters manage to skate in those boots without having issues.. 🤪

tinna

Spectator
Hi,
I would like to second this because I have skated in Edea Overture which was very comfy, like I could not even feel it on my feet.
Then when I had to get new boots, I got Chorus because I am now on low double jumps. It is equally comfy and has really molded to my feet. Maybe you should think about the Edea Chorus if you liked the Overture?
I found that I trashed the Overtures in less than a year but the Chorus has lasted me for two years so far (with covid, so maybe 1 in total). It is a really good boot. Oh, and I wanted to get Ice Flys too but my coach (who also sells equipment straight from the brand representatives) told me NO.
I think you can always sell the Ice Flys. Good luck!

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Wow thank you so much for sharing your experience! Can I ask you please what shoes you switched to?

You know.. I am a figure skating fan - I love watching it and I just wanted the same brand as my favourite skater Trusova - this gave me a nice boost for my training. But well health is more important yeah..
Jackson semicustoms, but what worked for me may not necessarily work for you...
Some people fit Edeas best and have foot problems with other brands. Other people find Edeas horrible. I guess it depends mostly on how your feet are shaped... Plus, even in the right brand, the wrong stiffness level can really harm your feet.
Just keep an open mind and be willing to try out what the fitter recommends for you. There isn't one 'superior' brand, top-ranked skaters wear Edea, Risport, Riedell, Jackson and many others, because they have all kinds of foot shapes just like the rest of us!

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I have to say I still don’t understand why it is not :) and how then the other skaters manage to skate in those boots without having issues.. 🤪
Because you have to be good enough to adequately use the stiffness of the boot. Think of it like bra sizing. A bra that is too big is not going to support you, but neither will one that's too small. You need one that's just right.

Other skaters manage to skate in the boot because it's the right boot for them. It's not the right boot for you. We are all different.

I'll just say that I'm a high level skater and I've worn Riedell, Jackson, Edea, and Risport. They all worked for certain stages of my life and nothing about each boot made my skating any worse or better until it stopped fitting properly.

Surge_et_age

Rinkside
Hello, I just want to update on my problem here over a week.

I bought a round bunga pad now and it seems to work better with my spot. It’s not painful anymore just uncomfortable after skating..
I also went to the fitter and we did heat the shoes and they became a better fit over the foot in general but the stiffness over the Achilles of my left foot is still there.

The fitter said that the heel in Risport and Edea are very narrow (as made for Italian feets :)) and he said he saw a lot of people with those problems. But the only solution he sees is to buy a half size bigger to make more room. - what do you think?

Well - my shoes are currently 3 months - I think I will skate them further for now, but I will really warm the idea of buying new more comfy boot maybe in a year or so or when I will not be able to skate at all…

But then the question will be which shoes :)

I will also go to a doctor next week and let’s see.. but he will probably say I have to stop skating to make the problem disappear aha - yeah we know those doctors and what they think about Hobby Sportlers :)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello, I just want to update on my problem here over a week.

I bought a round bunga pad now and it seems to work better with my spot. It’s not painful anymore just uncomfortable after skating..
I also went to the fitter and we did heat the shoes and they became a better fit over the foot in general but the stiffness over the Achilles of my left foot is still there.

The fitter said that the heel in Risport and Edea are very narrow (as made for Italian feets :)) and he said he saw a lot of people with those problems. But the only solution he sees is to buy a half size bigger to make more room. - what do you think?

Well - my shoes are currently 3 months - I think I will skate them further for now, but I will really warm the idea of buying new more comfy boot maybe in a year or so or when I will not be able to skate at all…

But then the question will be which shoes :)

I will also go to a doctor next week and let’s see.. but he will probably say I have to stop skating to make the problem disappear aha - yeah we know those doctors and what they think about Hobby Sportlers :)
The heel in Risport stock boots is whatever you need if the fitter knows how to order them correctly for you. Same with any stock boot to be honest. They aren't all very narrow for Italian feet or whatever crap he tried to tell you. All Italians don't have narrow feet, that's just ridiculous.

Glad you got some relief.

Surge_et_age

Rinkside
The heel in Risport stock boots is whatever you need if the fitter knows how to order them correctly for you. Same with any stock boot to be honest. They aren't all very narrow for Italian feet or whatever crap he tried to tell you. All Italians don't have narrow feet, that's just ridiculous.

Glad you got some relief.
Thank you for your reply.
Good to know about risport. Maybe they will be the boots I consider after the current ones

And sorry if I offended you with the „Italian narrowness“ comment. I don’t share my fitters opinion, just retelling it here to find a confirmation or … hm not 😿