Help with purchasing figure skates | Golden Skate

Help with purchasing figure skates

jlia04

Spectator
Hello! I am currently looking to upgrade to a new boot. I have been working with a coach for about 2 years now, but I’m currently not in lessons due to moving to another state. Although I am still skating every day at my new rink. I’m currently in Jackson Excel’s (I’ve had this boot since I started when I was 14!) I am currently working on my axel and my 2sal, 2flip, and 2toeloop. I was thinking in buying the Edea preludio, but I’m not sure if their are any other suggestions? I’m going to a professional figure skating fitter, but I still want to be prepared before hand. Thanks!!

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Welcome to the forum!! :) You're definitely doing the right thing by going to a professional fitter.

For starters - if you're working on axel/doubles then your current skates aren't stiff enough to properly support you. The Edea Preludio won't be, either. To find the right boot, you need to take into account your height, weight, foot size and shape, and skill level. If you're comfortable sharing those details, there are some wonderfully knowledgeable folks here who could point you in the right direction, and then your fitter can do the rest! But so you can at least be prepared to know what sort of equipment you'll be looking at and how much it will cost - I can say that you'd likely be looking at something along the lines of the Jackson Premiere, Edea Chorus, Risport RF3 Pro or the Riedell Motion or Vega.

All of the major boot manufacturers make good quality products, so picking a brand is more about finding the right look and fit than anything else. These aren't hard-and-fast rules, but for example, Jacksons tend to work better for folks who need a wide boot, while Riedells are snugger throughout. Riedells tend to have a classic look and feel, while Edeas are made with more synthetic materials and fit differently than most other boots (they're designed for comfort and easy break-in, so they're pretty loose around the ankle, which is a big adjustment if you're not used to it!).

At your level, you'd also be looking at buying your boot and blade separately. At minimum, you'd want a good intermediate level blade like the John Wilson Coronation Ace or MK Professional.

I hope this is helpful for getting you started!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello! I am currently looking to upgrade to a new boot. I have been working with a coach for about 2 years now, but I’m currently not in lessons due to moving to another state. Although I am still skating every day at my new rink. I’m currently in Jackson Excel’s (I’ve had this boot since I started when I was 14!) I am currently working on my axel and my 2sal, 2flip, and 2toeloop. I was thinking in buying the Edea preludio, but I’m not sure if their are any other suggestions? I’m going to a professional figure skating fitter, but I still want to be prepared before hand. Thanks!!
Hello and welcome. If you fit Jackson, you're not going to fit Edea. And the preludio is ranked lower than your level for stiffness needs anyway.

With Jackson you might be able to get away with Premiere if you are on the lighter side, but their Elite 5300 or 5200 is what is rated for your skill/jump level so I'd go with that if it were me, paired with intermediate blade: MK Pro, or JW Coro Ace.

If you foot is a bit narrow for the Jackson then look at Riedell Bronze Star. Or Graf Richmond Special.

Good luck, if you need any more help, please ask.

jlia04

Spectator
Hello and welcome. If you fit Jackson, you're not going to fit Edea. And the preludio is ranked lower than your level for stiffness needs anyway.

With Jackson you might be able to get away with Premiere if you are on the lighter side, but their Elite 5300 or 5200 is what is rated for your skill/jump level so I'd go with that if it were me, paired with intermediate blade: MK Pro, or JW Coro Ace.

If you foot is a bit narrow for the Jackson then look at Riedell Bronze Star. Or Graf Richmond Special.

Good luck, if you need any more help, please ask.
Ended up going with the Jackson entre and jw blades!:)

Vicki7

On the Ice
Ended up going with the Jackson entre and jw blades!:)

May I ask if you got professionally fitted for these? Because they’re only rated as being firm enough for single rotation jumps. You’re working on higher level doubles, so as has been said above you will need a lot more support.

At best these boots will break down quickly, at worst you risk injury because they don’t offer the support you need.

jlia04

Spectator
May I ask if you got professionally fitted for these? Because they’re only rated as being firm enough for single rotation jumps. You’re working on higher level doubles, so as has been said above you will need a lot more support.

At best these boots will break down quickly, at worst you risk injury because they don’t offer the support you need.
Hi! Yes i got them professionally fitted. I should’ve been more specific, but I have decided I wanted to go down the ice dancing path, but I still wanted a toe pick good enough for jumps if I still want to train with those.