Hopes for Boston2016!

kresslia

Medalist
I hope:

- Alaine skates like she did at Nationals

- W/P finally win

- S/B go clean and place in the top 5, I/M also skate well

- Patrick gets on the podium

I wish gold medals for Yuzuru, Evgenia, Maxim/Tatiana and Kaitlyn/Andrew. Still about two months to the worlds and I have this premonition for Yuzuru and Kaitlyn/Andrew, maybe because last year everything turned upside down for both at the last moment .

Florencito

Medalist
Javier to defend his title.
Papadakis/Cizeron on the podium together with two among Weaver/Poje, Cappellini/Lanotte and the Shibutanis. Don't really care for the placements on it.
Liza to do well at that Russian Cup thing and to get a ticket to Boston.
Wagner to be the highest ranked US gurl.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
My dream:

Gold for Yuzu
Gold for Mao
Gold for V/T
Gold for Shibs or PapCiz

Realistic:

Gold for Yuzu
A medal for Mao
A medal for V/T

Dance don't generally care.

Seruleane

Final Flight
Realistically, I know Yuzuru and Evgenia will probably get gold. But I am looking forward to seeing my favorites, Shoma and Elena have great, clean skates- hopefully the best skates of their season. I am also looking forward to seeing the Shibs skate well and hopefully medal. So far, the only skates that have given me chills this year are Shoma's Turandot FS at GPF, and the Shib's Coldplay FS. I also hope all the Pairs teams that are currently injured get well! I was so looking forward to that event at Worlds, and now I'm worried everyone will be competing injured.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
My main hopes are for Lena and the Shibutanis to medal and for Yuzu and V/T (assuming they'll go) to get the gold. :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I hope that Max will be brilliantly, heartbreakingly, wonderfully perfect, so that I can stand for him and applaud as I have done so many times at home.

And I also hope then that he gets the score he deserves for such a performance, and is not held back because he's "not artistic".

Imagine

Medalist
1. Gold for Gracie Gold (realistically, it's Evgenia's to loose)
2. If not Gold, then I hope the gold goes to Mao, Anna, or Evgenia in that order.
3. Good placement for Hongo Rika, maybe top 6-7 finish
4. At least one medal for the US ladies...but if not, then I hope for the Russian sweep.
5. I also want Polina and Elena have a good finish in the top 10 somewhere.

GF2445

Record Breaker
1. Ice Dance Hope: I'm hoping for a North American Sweep at Worlds for Ice Dance.

I love the French and the Italians but W/P & The Shibs have done it for me. Though I have not enjoyed their programs as much, I would like to see C/B on the podium as well because their skating demands your attention and at their best, they show determination like world champions. On a side note, I would love Penny and Nick to do well.

2. Ladies Hope: 2 Americans on the world podium for the ladies and Alaine skating like she did at nationals.

3. Savchenko and Massot take the Pairs title.

4. For the men's event to be electrifying- Quad after Quad.

On another note, I hope that NBC suddenly change their broadcast schedule to show more of the events live (Dreaming)

alain06fr

On the Ice
I will focus only on Ice Dance.
Now, talking about "hopes", I hope all ice dance couples will perform their programs at their best level.

This being said, I have the strong feelings that we are at a crossroads as I think two couples are the big favourites to win the gold medal:

On one side, Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje representing Canada. This season, they won two Grand-Prix and the Grand-Prix final in Barcelona. At the GPF, they scored a total of 182.66 points with 109.91 for their FD. Kaitlyn is 27 years old and Andrew will be 29 at the end of February. They are among the established ice dance couples. They have never won so far the World title.

On the other side, Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron, from France. Given Gabriella's serious injury (concussion), they were left with no choice but skipping the whole Grand-Prix season. Europeans in Bratislava were their very first international competition but they managed to keep their title as European Champions. They scored a total of 182.71, with 111.97 for their FD. Gabriella is 20 years old and Guillaume recently got 21. They are the reigning World Champions, after winning the world title last year in Shanghai at the age of 19 (Gabriella) and 20 (Guillaume) becoming the youngest world champions in the ice dance history. Their last season was qualified as "meteoric rise" given they became European Champions in 2015 one year after being 15th and they became World Champions in 2015 one year after being 13th ! No one ever did something like that in the ice dance history.

If W/P win the Worlds in Boston, we'll probably see a competition between W/P and P/C for the ultimate goal which is the 2018 Winter Games in South Korea. Kaytlin and Andrew are the top Canadian couple and they performed really well in the last two Grand-Prix seasons, winning both GPF 2014 and GPF 2015!

If P/C win a second World title in Boston, meaning in North America, at the age of 20/21 then that will be a second tremendous victory.
Some people claimed P/C won their World title last year mainly because of their FD. In fact, P/C are very different from the other ice dance couples, meaning that they have a modern approach of ice dance. Among the male ice dancers, Guillaume Cizeron is (imHo) definitely the only true dancer (he's a dancer outside the ice) and I can see how Gabriella improved significantly in this area too. They want their costumes, designed by Guillaume, to be "class by design" so I hardly think we'll see them wearing flashy costumes with spangles. Their focus is to perform programs with modern choreographies and, moreover, being class and elegant from start to end.

So let's see what happens but it will be for sure a very exciting competition.

As for Alex and Maia Shibutani, I think they will be on the podium, I am quite sure about that. At this point, I see them in third place but who knows? They demonstrated how strong they are by winning the US Nationals. They improved so much since GPF 2015.

Last edited:

shyne

Final Flight
Hopes for Boston 2016:

Men: A New World Record
Ladies: A New World Record
Pairs: A New World Record
Dance:A New World Record

molihua

Rinkside
My hopes:
Men: I just want Shoma Uno on the podium or Kolyada (like a big surprise)
Ladies: Evgenia skates her best in the season and takes the gold, also Alaine at the podium
Pairs: Podium for Alyona, gold for Tatiana/Maksim
Dance: Gold for Shibutani (as we say "hope dies last"):hap10:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
1. GOOD, healthy competition - no splats, no horrible falls/incidents, wish we could see a fair judging too, but this one is out of reach probably...

2. Wenjing Sui/Cong Han taking gold - yeas I know, she's injuried (like constantly this season...), but competing, still my favourites, in general my dream podium in pairs is Sui/Han, Seguin/Bilodeau and Savchenko/Massot

3. A solid outing for Mao Asada - for me, it's heartbreaking to see her with so much struggle regarding jumps, wish we could see a two solid programs from her at Boston

4. Podium for Shibutanis - this is their season, come on!

5. Gold for Satoko - I know, totally hopeless this one...

theskatingbutterfly

On the Ice
1. Ashley skates 2 BEAUTIFULLY CLEAN programs, receives the highest PCS of the event, and is the highest placing US Lady (Wildest dream: She wins!)
2. Ladies podium is nothing we expect
3. Shibutani's win and Chock/Bates win a medal
4. Scimeca/Knierim finally skate clean in both programs
5. Max, Adam and Grant keep 3 spots for men

6. A magical fairy picks me up in my sleep and places me in a seat in the arena. For free.

slider11

Medalist
Ladies: I'd like to see Gracie, Evgenia and Satoko skate "perfect" programs - what order is the podium?
Men: I'd like to see Adam pull off a podium finish with one "good" quad lutz and otherwise just spectacular programs
Pairs: I'm so sad not to see Kavaguti and Smirnov at Worlds. But I would like to see Sui and Han excel and I guess Trankov +
Dance: North American sweep - Weaver/ Poje, Shibs and I know a long shot but Gilles and Poirier. Love Papadakis and Cizeron but I think the lack of preparation will catch up on them.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Ladies: I'd like to see Gracie, Evgenia and Satoko skate "perfect" programs - what order is the podium?
Men: I'd like to see Adam pull off a podium finish with one "good" quad lutz and otherwise just spectacular programs
Pairs: I'm so sad not to see Kavaguti and Smirnov at Worlds. But I would like to see Sui and Han excel and I guess Trankov +
Dance: North American sweep - Weaver/ Poje, Shibs and I know a long shot but Gilles and Poirier. Love Papadakis and Cizeron but I think the lack of preparation will catch up on them.

If Gracie/Satoko/Evgenia skated perfectly the order would likely be 1. Gracie 2. Evgenia 3. Satoko, but the only certainty there is that Satoko would be third. Evgenia has all the backloading points, but Gracie has better SS, better spins (they both get their levels, but Gracie's are probably better) and a hometown PCS boost. Who even knows? I can see this podium happening if these three skate clean and other major contenders (Mao, Elena, Ashley, etc.) make mistakes.

slider11

Medalist
I know Gilles and Poirier are a real long shot for the podium. But I love their innovation and dynamics on the ice. I see improvement in Piper's edges and technical abilities overall. Paul has always been a strong technician. Their programs have real substance and interest. For me, they are more enjoyable than the gaping mouth, over-the- top Russian style. And I ijust don't get the same depth and interest with Chock and Bates. This is one of those teams that you either "get" or not.