IceNetwork "Best of the Season" Twitter promo | Page 2 | Golden Skate

IceNetwork "Best of the Season" Twitter promo

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's a little surprising when icenetwork has a focus on skaters in USA so I thought its viewers mostly hailed from there.
Yuzu, Lipnitskaya, Sui / Han, Ilinykh/Zhiganshin won...that's a nice variety of countries--but none from the States.
I'm from the US and I'd vote for all of the above. :biggrin:

I agree that IN primarily covers US based skaters. The Olympic coverage tried to do the same thing but I found other ways to keep up on the skaters I was interested in.

Last edited:

charmblade

Final Flight
Yesterday they had voting for best free dance and to no one's surprise, P/C's Mozart won. Today the voting is for pairs free. My guess would be K/S's Manfred Symphony.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Is there anywhere to see numerical results, that does not require you to give your twitter and or email account details to some site or other?

I detest this particular Twitter voting technique with the roar and clamor of seven brass bands playing Sousa's "The Thunderer" out of synch with each other.

I detest that my phone hasn't stopped dinging with IN notifications since the thing started. I have permanently turned off notifications from IN because of it; it drove us both crazy.

I detest that IN, which has a website after all, does not do a numerical wrapup on its own website on this contest.

Ill thought out, ill implemented and :disagree::disagree::disagree::disagree::disagree:

Five thumbs down from me. No fun at all.

Last edited:

NaVi

Medalist
Eh, I don't think icenetwork takes it that seriously... it's just a fun thing and getting detailed results for something easily manipulated and influenced by factors like what time of the day the question is asked is kind of pointless... I was watching the tweet stream for a while and I wouldn't even think of doing a direct count as that would be a waste of time... and I wouldn't even bother with that if I was on a phone and not a computer.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Is there anywhere to see numerical results, that does not require you to give your twitter and or email account details to some site or other?

I detest this particular Twitter voting technique with the roar and clamor of seven brass bands playing Sousa's "The Thunderer" out of synch with each other.

I detest that my phone hasn't stopped dinging with IN notifications since the thing started. I have permanently turned off notifications from IN because of it; it drove us both crazy.

I detest that IN, which has a website after all, does not do a numerical wrapup on its own website on this contest.

Ill thought out, ill implemented and :disagree::disagree::disagree::disagree: ...

Five thumbs down from me. No fun at all.

Doris, I heartily agree that the results of this Twitter survey mean next to nothing. Totally unscientific.

The pool of voters is limited to those with Twitter accounts who happen to be aware of the voting and who care enough to vote -- even though they prob. realize that the results inherently will be meaningless.

My hunch is that the reason IN does not give vote counts is that the numbers are very low, making an already-meaningless survey even more meaningless.

If you are willing to do the counting for yourself, it is possible to see all the voting without a Twitter account -- using the Twitter search function.
For example, to see all of P/C's votes:

My very rough count is that fewer than 70 tweets voted for P/C's FD, which won the category.
I ignored tweets that jumped the gun last week with the #bestfreedance hashtag before the FD voting had started.
But I did include tweets that named not only P/C, but also one or more other dance couples -- within the same tweet.

I realize that maybe certain numbers were/will be higher -- for Hanyu, for example.
But this survey series should be utterly forgettable -- and is highly ignorable (my invented word??) in the first place.

ETA, came back to add these less curmudgeonly ;) comments about what the unscientific survey offers:
- an outlet for some fans on Twitter to show their love for their favorite programs
- a chance for some skaters to feel love from a subset of fans​

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yuzu got Best SP for Men. Well, I wish it had been clean, but the program itself is gorgeous.

Because of the fall I can't consider it the best SP. For me, it was Javier's SP at Worlds, or Joshua's SP at US Nationals (Uno's and Ten's at 4CC were also wonderful).

I hope Ten's 4CC skate wins the FS options.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The result is no wonder to me since Yulia has the biggest fandom among the listed nominees just like Hanyu for the best men's SP. Regardless, I like the program; music and choreography, costume. She delivered the image of a little girl living in a megapolis pretty well. I didn't participate in the poll but my pick would be Gracie's SP though.

Gold and Lip's were nice programs, but my pick for ladies SP would have to be Liza's... I mean, a triple axel and a 3-3... first ladies SP with 4 triples, that's a huge achievement. The choreo isn't exactly my favourite, but she still sold it and who can argue with a 3A like that!

Best Men's SP - Fernandez at Worlds
Best Men's LP - Ten at 4CC
Best Ladies SP - Liza at Worlds
Best Ladies FS - Wagner at Nationals
Best Pairs SP - S/H at Worlds
Best Pairs LP - D/R at the GPF
Best SD - W/P at the GPF
Best FD - P/C at Worlds

Last edited:

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Eh, who on earth will look at IN's website unless they are already a fan of FS?

However, someone could see a tweet on their timeline, wonder what it is all about and have a Google, look on YouTube etc. It is just a silly, small way of getting fans to get FS out there via their timelines. Cannot see any harm nor would I take it too seriously.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Eh, who on earth will look at IN's website unless they are already a fan of FS?

However, someone could see a tweet on their timeline, wonder what it is all about and have a Google, look on YouTube etc. It is just a silly, small way of getting fans to get FS out there via their timelines. Cannot see any harm nor would I take it too seriously.

Not sure whether you are responding to my post?? If so:
My point is that (as we know from GS) many skating fans do not have Twitter accounts or rarely use them.
So the survey results do not begin to reflect the opinion of the entire population of skating fans.
For example, we have no way of knowing whether Weaver/Poje's FD (instead of P/C's) would have been #1 in a randomized telephone poll of skating fans -- as opposed to a social media survey. (Most ppl do have a phone number.)​

Your post did remind me of another positive thing :):
IN's promo tweets for the survey give links to IN videos for programs.
And for the purposes of the survey, I believe the IN vids are being made available to those without a paid IN subscription.​

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It was stupidly signing up for notification that caused me to be really annoyed about this. I will never sign up for notification for anyone other than my grandson and granddaughter ever again. Twitter is my least favorite social medium in any case, and this experience has not improved my impression of the site, for sure.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
I wasn't particularly replying to anyone other than Doris' suggestion of using the site instead.

I really don't think the results are meant to be taken that seriously though, Golden. It is just a bit of fun, not a Gallup or Ipsos Mori poll.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I really don't think the results are meant to be taken that seriously though, Golden. It is just a bit of fun, not a Gallup or Ipsos Mori poll.

:agree: You took the words right out of my mouth :).

Just had wanted to make that point "out loud" b/c I would hate for someone on GS to start citing P/C's FD Twitter "win," for example, as "proof" of something.
(Disclaimer: I have nothing against P/C. I keep using them as an example only b/c the FD survey was yesterday.)​

Also b/c some people in this thread (I don't mean you, TGS and Doris) seem to be taking the survey more seriously ;) than others.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Lol there will always be people (not saying anyone in this thread!)
who will start quoting fan vote polls two years afterwards to prop up faves. One should :laugh: , :rolleye: and :slink: !

charmblade

Final Flight
Yeah, I definitely don't think it should be taken very seriously. The whole reason I started the thread was just so people could see it was happening, if they were interested, and as a silly end-of-the-season little thing IN was doing and also thought it might be interesting to see if people on this board agreed with the results or not. Obviously the audience for the poll is different from the audience on this board which is one reason I thought it might be cool to compare a bit.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Well, I have only voted for the dance FD so far and agreed with that, charmblade! :)

ETA: Voted for Pang /Tong now and we will see...

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was fun for me to see Julia get the best SP. Just a little something that made me and her other faithful fans cheer a bit. I'm not running to the bank with it and saying it was the greatest thing ever but she did as well with her SP as anyone else did. Besides it put a little :) on my face. :yes:

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
It was fun for me to see Julia get the best SP. Just a little something that made me and her other faithful fans cheer a bit. I'm not running to the bank with it and saying it was the greatest thing ever but she did as well with her SP as anyone else did. Besides it put a little :) on my face. :yes:

:thumbsup: