ISO Boot & Blade Reccomendations | Golden Skate

ISO Boot & Blade Reccomendations

megskates

Spectator
Hello All :)

I am looking for reccomendations for my first pair of more advanced skates.

My Stats:
5'7 and 155lb
Working on loop, consistent waltz, sal, toe
Currently skating in Jackson Mystique

My Feet:
According to a skate tech I ~briefly~ spoke to, my feet are extremely average/in the middle in terms of arches and width.

I am pretty rough on my skates. The Mystiques just really aren't cutting it anymore in terms of giving me good support for landings etc

There are no shops for professional "fittings" in my area, just an edea retailer and a hockey store that sells some jackson's

My Problems:
Currently the only issue that I have is that I sit just the SMALLEST bit too far forward on my rocker during spins, I alread feel like with the mark II blade that I don't have enough rocker space for effective spins, but that could just be a me issue. I really don't know. When I look at other more advanced stand alone blades, they look more "rockery" lol

The blades that are reccomended by my coaches are the JW Coronation Ace, but my main concern is going from the 8' to 7' rocker.

Please share any thoughts/opinions below :) It sucks not having reliable access to a good skate shop ANYWHERE nearby. I am near Spokane, WA if anyone knows of anything near there or that would be a reasonably priced flight.

Thanks!

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Are you in CDA? There’s supposed to be a decent tech there, I think. I used to live in Spokane, but rarely skated while there and never bought new skates. A long time ago, I trained in Tri Cities, but wouldn’t recommend that shop anymore, staff has changed and they were never fantastic. Maybe someone can recommend a shop in Seattle, Portland, or Vancouver, BC?

I went from a Legacy 8 to a CA this year, and it took me a bit to adjust (also dropped a boot size and switched brands), but I am loving them. It was very scary for the first 5 hours or so, probably because my blades were so much shorter, but I can’t imagine going back to my old ones.

CDA shop, no personal experience though: https://nwskates.com/

megskates

Spectator
Are you in CDA? There’s supposed to be a decent tech there, I think. I used to live in Spokane, but rarely skated while there and never bought new skates. A long time ago, I trained in Tri Cities, but wouldn’t recommend that shop anymore, staff has changed and they were never fantastic. Maybe someone can recommend a shop in Seattle, Portland, or Vancouver, BC?

I went from a Legacy 8 to a CA this year, and it took me a bit to adjust (also dropped a boot size and switched brands), but I am loving them. It was very scary for the first 5 hours or so, probably because my blades were so much shorter, but I can’t imagine going back to my old ones.

CDA shop, no personal experience though: https://nwskates.com/
Thank you for your insight! Unfortunately NW skates is really kinda just like a "I'll measure your foot and order whatever boot you want" kinda skate shop. They don't hold a lot of inventory and only sell edea, and they aren't very knowledgeable:( I've seen them put other adults that can't even do single jumps in to ice fly boots before so I have trouble trusting them

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I can't help with fitter recommendations (I'm in the UK) but trust your coach's recommendation for JW Coronation Ace blades. And don't give the 8' vs 7' rocker thing a second thought. Seriously, it just isn't worth worrying about. Everybody goes from a basic blade with an 8' rocker and the vast majority go to Coronation Ace and love them.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Coronation Ace is almost always the right answer.

Also, close to where you are the only decent figure skating shop I know of is in Victoria BC, Rushton Sportec.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Thank you for your insight! Unfortunately NW skates is really kinda just like a "I'll measure your foot and order whatever boot you want" kinda skate shop. They don't hold a lot of inventory and only sell edea, and they aren't very knowledgeable:( I've seen them put other adults that can't even do single jumps in to ice fly boots before so I have trouble trusting them
Ugggh. This is sad to know.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
yup. i'm headed there today to be measured/fitted but i dont think i'll be taking any of their advice 😭
Crossing my fingers for you!

Also, close to where you are the only decent figure skating shop I know of is in Victoria BC, Rushton Sportec.

If @Ic3Rabbit can recommend some CA (LA or Bay Area) or Salt Lake area shops, I know there are usually cheap flights out of Spokane to those places. I flew a lot when I was based in Spokane, and it’s been a few years, but those are usually the cheapest routes.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Crossing my fingers for you!

If @Ic3Rabbit can recommend some CA (LA or Bay Area) or Salt Lake area shops, I know there are usually cheap flights out of Spokane to those places. I flew a lot when I was based in Spokane, and it’s been a few years, but those are usually the cheapest routes.
@megskates If you are able to actually take a cheap flight out of Spokane to the LA area, I can suggest a very good trusted fitter to you via PM. Please let me know!

loveragdollcats

Spectator
i switched from the jackson mystiques to jackson entres with coronation ace blades, a little less than 2 weeks ago, and i love them. i'm also working on the same skills as you are except i have a consistent waltz. switching to the coro ace was one of the best decisions i ever made. i was nervous about the transtition at first, but adjusting wasn't really as hard as i thought it was going to be. i wrote more about it in my thread: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/t...vice-needed-for-a-high-beginner-skater.95536/

Last edited: