Country
United-States
Communication No. 2558
SINGLE & PAIR SKATING
Levels of Difficulty and Guidelines for marking
Grade of Execution and Program Components
Season 2023/24
This replaces Communication No. 2474

I. Updated Levels of Difficulty of Single/Pair Skating Elements (season 2023/24)
II. Updated Guidelines for marking +GOE of Single/Pair Skating Elements (positive aspects)
III. Updated Guidelines in establishing GOE for errors in Short Program and Free Skating
IV. Changes and clarifications for GOE and Program Components for season 2023/24

Here is the link to download the .pdf

Andrea82

Medalist
Euler executed as step over...-1 or -2... not sure if it's new .. but i like it.

I also like the (new?) deduction for multiple Qs in combos

Seems like they want to reinforce the PCS capping too...
the new ones are the part of the text underlined with the _____
So step over/euler is old, multiple Qs combos is new

gkelly

Record Breaker
I had hoped they'd get rid of the totally ugly, unnecessary "feature" after a spin. Those illusion things and those steps that a skater does so awkwardly after a spin: hideous!
Steps/turns etc. that a skater does well exiting a spin -- sublime!

You can't reward well-done difficulty without offering some reward for less-well-done difficulty -- although it does have to be done well enough to meet the criteria.

Just like we can't have high rewards for great difficult jumps without offering some rewards for flawed difficult jumps.

That's the sport.

Beauty is added value (with extra rewards).

icewhite

Record Breaker
Steps/turns etc. that a skater does well exiting a spin -- sublime!

You can't reward well-done difficulty without offering some reward for less-well-done difficulty -- although it does have to be done well enough to meet the criteria.

Just like we can't have high rewards for great difficult jumps without offering some rewards for flawed difficult jumps.

That's the sport.

Beauty is added value (with extra rewards).

The thing that annoys me the most about the "difficult exits" is that they are all doing the same things, while often doing it badly. If they were more innovative with this feature it would be acceptable, but this last season that part was usually like a dress with some lose fabric randomly hanging between your feet.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had hoped they'd get rid of the totally ugly, unnecessary "feature" after a spin. Those illusion things and those steps that a skater does so awkwardly after a spin: hideous!

Also not to be forgotten: The ugly fake illusion entries to spins. The ones where the skater is just essentially bending over with the swinging leg barely waist high. It's the epitome of ugly skating for the sake of a level.

Forget the GOE reduction. The audience should be able to throw rocks at the skater for that.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Euler executed as step over...-1 or -2... not sure if it's new .. but i like it.

I also like the (new?) deduction for multiple Qs in combos

Seems like they want to reinforce the PCS capping too...
When did Eulers become an acceptable part of jump combinations? Somehow I missed that over the years of watching competitions on TV instead of being there. In my day (says Granny, grumpily thumping the floor with her cane :angry:) inserting an Euler was a minor-ish error you did in an effort to save a wonky landing on the first jump, similar to touching a hand down to keep from falling on a throw landing.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
When did Eulers become an acceptable part of jump combinations? Somehow I missed that over the years of watching competitions on TV instead of being there. In my day (says Granny, grumpily thumping the floor with her cane :angry:) inserting an Euler was a minor-ish error you did in an effort to save a wonky landing on the first jump, similar to touching a hand down to keep from falling on a throw landing.
it's been a long time.... (if my memory doesn't fail me) At first, it was possible but then the jump was marked as a sequence which lowered the base value. If i am not mistaken, Joannie Rochette was using the 3t-eu-3s when she won her olympic medal in 2010. ... Later on, it became possible to count as a combo in the LP with full base value of the jumps, just like the +2a is now calculated at full base value since the current season. I remember one year, Alaine Chartrand performed a Euler Combo at nationals and the wrong base value had been awarded. A correction was then made and IIRC, she was awarded the bronze medal.. It made a difference for her certainly. So maybe it was in 2012-13 that Eulers were allowed as part of a combo in the LP, with full BV for all jumps.

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
it's been a long time.... (if my memory doesn't fail me) At first, it was possible but then the jump was marked as a sequence which lowered the base value. If i am not mistaken, Joannie Rochette was using the 3t-eu-3s when she won her olympic medal in 2010. ... Later on, it became possible to count as a combo in the LP with full base value of the jumps, just like the +2a is now calculated at full base value since the current season. I remember one year, Alaine Chartrand performed a Euler Combo at nationals and the wrong base value had been awarded. A correction was then made and IIRC, she was awarded the bronze medal.. It made a difference for her certainly. So maybe it was in 2012-13 that Eulers were allowed as part of a combo in the LP, with full BV for all jumps.
Ah, that would explain how it crept in without me noticing. Around the few years, then, when my husband was terminally ill and I was his fulltime caregiver with other things than skating to occupy my attention. (Not a ploy for sympathy. Just a reason why there's a gap in my knowledge about several of my hobbies.)

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Well, I know Lipinski had been doing them since 1997 when she did the double axel-Euler-triple Salchow combination, which turned into a triple toe-Euler-triple Salchow by 1998.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Ah, that would explain how it crept in without me noticing. Around the few years, then, when my husband was terminally ill and I was his fulltime caregiver with other things than skating to occupy my attention. (Not a ploy for sympathy. Just a reason why there's a gap in my knowledge about several of my hobbies.)
Plushenko did them as well in 2002 Olympics. They were rarer in the past but still used. (Of course not called euler until recently)

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Plushenko did them as well in 2002 Olympics. They were rarer in the past but still used. (Of course not called euler until recently)
Haha Scott Hamilton was like 😳 at that.

It was done properly though, not like a step-out or anything and it was a 3A-halfLo-3Sal so it looked pretty cool. Didn't see that one coming.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
And that would be another reason why I thought they were something completely new. We just called them "hops" in the past. I never heard them called Eulers until the last season or two.

JimR

On the Ice
None of this really matter I suppose if world champions are getting GOE of 4 for a blade assisted quad flip, or lutz with a wrong edge.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
they were called half loops for quite a while before the Euler term came up
That too. Thanks, I knew there was another more official term used for them besides "hops" but couldn't think of it. My partner and I just said "hop, sorry" if we had to explain why one of us got out of sync on a jump combination.

lilimum

On the Ice
Country
Germany
That too. Thanks, I knew there was another more official term used for them besides "hops" but couldn't think of it. My partner and I just said "hop, sorry" if we had to explain why one of us got out of sync on a jump combination.
In Germany we call that Jump since a log time Euler and in my rollerskating "career! 40 years ago we called the Euler also Thoren. I don*t like this jump no matter what the name is. I also learnd a jump called Oppacher, like an Axel jumped off the forward inner edge (right foot while turning left way round)