ISU 2023-24 Updates for Levels of Difficulty and GOEs | Page 2 | Golden Skate

ISU 2023-24 Updates for Levels of Difficulty and GOEs

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
In Germany we call that Jump since a log time Euler and in my rollerskating "career! 40 years ago we called the Euler also Thoren. I don*t like this jump no matter what the name is. I also learnd a jump called Oppacher, like an Axel jumped off the forward inner edge (right foot while turning left way round)
We were trying "inside Axels" (I don't think they had a special name) in the 1960s/70s, but I never saw them done much in competition, if at all. I liked them, although I never tried a double because I couldn't get enough clearance off the ice, but then I preferred the edge jumps and the Axel was always my favourite.

gleungc6

On the Ice
We were trying "inside Axels" (I don't think they had a special name) in the 1960s/70s, but I never saw them done much in competition, if at all. I liked them, although I never tried a double because I couldn't get enough clearance off the ice, but then I preferred the edge jumps and the Axel was always my favourite.
My coach also started with an inside axel first, back in the 1980s! He trained in Canada, I wonder if it’s a regional or era specific thing? Or perhaps they’re still popular now just as a fun trick/exercise… does anyone know?

Last edited:

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
My coach also started with an inside axel first, back in the 1980s! He trained in Canada, I wonder if it’s a regional or era specific thing? Or perhaps they’re still popular now just as a fun trick/exercise… does anyone know?
I've seen it as an exercise in many European countries. Many actually found it easier than axel (with a single), as weight distribution was easier (not having to trust the outside edge as well)