Japanese Nationals 2013-2014 - Ladies | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Japanese Nationals 2013-2014 - Ladies

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wow what a pleasant surprise to wake up and hear that Akiko Suzuki won! I didn't not expect that at all. I did get to see her video and that costume is breathtaking! Glad she saved it for later in the season! :love:

Sounds like everyone did well. I hope to see the rest of the videos later.

And regardless of the placement, props to Miki for making the effort. Nobody can say that she didn't try her best this season.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Little teary-eyed for Suzuki! Wow! What a competition for her! And yes, that is one of the absolute prettiest dresses of all time. Subtle (yet still looks great on the ice) and exquisite!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Some sweet tweets from U.S. Skaters:

Mirai Nagasu
‏@mirai_nagasu
アッコちゃんを観て涙がポロポロ出てきました!(o^^o) ありがと@Mariakko2010
4:52 AM - 23 Dec 13

Rough translation: Tears came down like rain watching Akiko! Thank you, Akiko!

(As mentioned elsewhere, Mirai got to see the competition live since she is currently training in Japan. I hope this will serve as inspiration and motivate her to have her own comeback story in a few weeks!)

Johnny Weir-Voronov
‏@JohnnyGWeir
Thank you @M1K1_ANDO for a wonderful career, pushing the difficulty of what women are capable of and your smile. A true skating legend.💎
3:59 AM - 23 Dec 13

Johnny Weir-VoronovVerified account
‏@JohnnyGWeir
Big day in Japan. 1.@Mariakko2010 Suzuki 👸2. @Canyanpy1107 Kanako-chan 3. Mao-chan. A brilliant fight. Waiting for Team Japan at Sochi news!
4:03 AM - 23 Dec 13

aftertherain

Record Breaker
What was that about Akiko Suzuki being thrown aside in favor of Satoko Miyahara again?

Oh, that's right, AKIKO WON.

*does happy dance*

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
What was that about Akiko Suzuki being thrown aside in favor of Satoko Miyahara again?

Oh, that's right, AKIKO WON.

*does happy dance*

No kidding! I'm happy that prediction turned out to be WAY WRONG!!!

But props to Miyahara for a great performance as well! I hope she does well at junior worlds!

evangeline

Record Breaker
People, I fist-pumped along with Akiko when she landed that last 3S and started crying before she even stopped spinning.

This year's Japanese nationals has been such an emotional roller coaster but Akiko winning is for me the brightest spot of all!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Wow, Akiko!!! Amazing skate!!!! This would easily be a medal contending performance in Sochi. Wonderful clean competition from Murakami too. I don't think anyone could have predicte this!

Gigi13

On the Ice
OMG AKIKO WON I'm crying my queen won in Japan ugh and Kanako made the team omg I'm so happy this is the best day ever!!!! omg :love::bow::clap: Akiko I love you I can't even type I'm crying so hard :cry: and I think Mao should change her layout...

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Ooooh, I´m sooo happy for Akiko´s win and freeskate performance!!! And congratulations to Kanako for silver medal! A surprise that Mao did not get higher score, it seems she actually got what she deserved, and that was the biggest surprise.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Ooooh, I´m sooo happy for Akiko´s win and freeskate performance!!! And congratulations to Kanako for silver medal! A surprise that Mao did not get higher score, it seems she actually got what she deserved, and that was the biggest surprise.

I KNOW!! I totally thought the JSF would at least have held up Mao to silver. Her PCS was 2 points less than Suzuki. I'm actually rather impressed with the judging in the ladies event. Certainly technically not many favours were given out (note that Akiko's 3-3 in the SP was counted as <).

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
A surprise that Mao did not get higher score, it seems she actually got what she deserved, and that was the biggest surprise.

Yup. I agree 100%, that was a big surprise. Did anyone else start thinking "how are they going to fix that score now?" after Mao finished? Like, give +3s for everything, including her mistakes?
I did not think for a second that 3rd was even a possibility. But I'm thrilled.
Though, the announcement of the Olympic Team shows that they don't need to boost anyone's scores, since the result at nationals doesn't matter.

-I'm really SO happy for Akiko, her performance was once again so delicate, and this time with every jump working perfectly. I think it's great that she's now choosing to repeat the salchow (with the flip) instead of the lutz or the loop, or the 2A.
-Kanako really surprised me, in the most positive of ways! I kept focusing on her landing foot, "waiting" for that UR to happen... but it didn't! After the previous 1,5 seasons where she tried to maximize the points by doing the jumps very late, I think this will encourage her to keep it as it is. No more 10% added to both her 3T3T and 3F in the SP, and here she starts off with her 3T3T in the LP. But that largely increases her chance of getting them done right! So happy for her :)
-Mao: Again, WOW! Not about her performance, which is similar to what she's done all season long (my opinion, you may or may not agree), but the shock is that the judges didn't lift her sky-high again despite everything.
-Satoko: clean and, as mentioned by others before, that would make any team in any nation (even Russia, I believe!) but Japan. I wish her to get through puberty and work around that junior-jump-technique of hers so she won't get UR calls. Beautiful skating skills!
- Haruka: Honorary mention! Great performance in both programmes. If you see how Imai, Suzuki and Murakami have stepped it up after struggling in the GP series, it makes you (well, it makes me...) wonder how that happened: is it really so that they plan their training in order to peak at the perfect time, and so it's "acceptable" to have poor showings earlier in the season? If so, then please, Akiko and Kanako, do the same preparation for Sochi! ;)
- Miki: I HATE YOUTUBE! SO VERY VERY MUCH! If anyone knows of a way for me to watch her LP, even here in underpriviledged Europe (blocked for music rights!), please let me know! I read your comments, and I'm sad she didn't get 100% out of it, but even if she had had the performance of her life, I'm afraid they still wouldn't have put her on the Olympic Team. Then, she would only be another Kozuka, and that sure doesn't feel good either.

- Everyone! be a little more gracious in victory as in defeat please! We all love figure skating and are passionate about it. Some have different favorite skaters than you do.