Japanese Nationals 2013-2014 - Ladies | Page 21 | Golden Skate

Japanese Nationals 2013-2014 - Ladies

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Try this.
ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RiKmFtMfds

Thanks, but no. :(
"Leider ist dieses Video, das Musik von SME beinhaltet, in Deutschland nicht verfügbar, da die GEMA die Verlagsrechte hieran nicht eingeräumt hat.
Das tut uns leid."
at least they finish it off by saying "we're sorry for that".

StellaCampo

On the Ice
Thanks, but no. :(
"Leider ist dieses Video, das Musik von SME beinhaltet, in Deutschland nicht verfügbar, da die GEMA die Verlagsrechte hieran nicht eingeräumt hat.
Das tut uns leid."
at least they finish it off by saying "we're sorry for that".

Sorry to hear this, Frenchie. I live in the UK and I can access this video. I didn't know we have this difference in accessibility within the EU!!!!!

Frenchie

Medalist
Sorry to hear this, Frenchie. I live in the UK and I can access this video. I didn't know we have this difference in accessibility within the EU!!!!!

GREAT! now, I can't call myself an underpriviledged European anymore, I have to call myself an underpriviledged German! This is killing me, furthermore for a Frenchie that is! :sarcasm:

kerufin

Spectator
I thas no effect on the outcome, but I'm just interested in that stuff:
Mao only got a level 1 for her combination spin, you can see it at the 4:10 mark here:

I saw nothing wrong with that. Anyone?

I guess they didn't give credit to her sit forward position. As a result not all 3 basic positions are maintained hence the level 1.

Sochi_2014

On the Ice
Akiko was stunning. Absolutely radiant. Would love to see her on the Olympic podium, even more so than I would want to see Ashley. (and I'm a big Ashley fan)

Kanako Murakami also was excellent! I now will add her back into the mix of top 5 in Sochi, she could potentially even beat Carolina, Ashley, and Julia.....

I have mixed opinions about Mao. If she hits both 3A's in Sochi, and skates relatively well in the SP and the rest of her LP, I would think she would be the winner. It's a risk she must contemplate taking if she wants to beat a perfect Yuna. Without the 3 A's, she won't be able to catch up to a clean Yuna. At the same time, if Yuna makes mistakes, then Mao can afford to replace her 3 A's with other jumps. However, Mao would only be able to do this if she skates after Yuna. And also, it's not ideal to change the program on the day of. I suppose she could practice the two different scenarios though beforehand. Tough decision to make for her and her coaching team.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Speaking of scores enough to win most nationals... Ayaka Hosoda placed 16th here but her performance would have been enough to win the Finnish nationals.

Suzuki's skate was great. I feel like the score's a bit inflated, of course, but to me this clearly was her best performance of the season and the victory is well deserved. As for Mao Asada, I really didn't feel anything from her performance, it was pretty distant and the presentation just wasn't there. This along with the technical mistakes makes it a nonbrainer that Suzuki defeated her. Her PCS also was rightfully lower than Suzuki's. I still think that this was a bit overscored considering all the mistakes and the lack of presence, but it's still nice to see her rightfully placing third.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I suppose she could practice the two different scenarios though beforehand.
She already IS doing that, to an extent. I saw a program from Japanese TV, where she talked about her "contingencies" - how she planned to alter her later jumps/combos if an earlier one failed. I don't exactly remember the details, but I think one of the scenarios was specifically in case she failed to make her 3A combo.

Mind you that's exactly what happened here - failed to make her 2nd 3A into a combo... and it doesn't seem like she even tried to change from her "standard" layout afterwards. Maybe she wasn't too serious about this competition?

Anyway, practicing multiple scenarios is maybe not so far-fetched?

MasterB

Final Flight
Akiko had a Rudy moment. Is she now the oldest ladies champion of any nation? Not counting anyone from 60 years ago.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Akiko had a Rudy moment. Is she now the oldest ladies champion of any nation? Not counting anyone from 60 years ago.

I think she might be... Sebestyen was 28 and a half when she last won Hungarian nationals. Suzuki seems to be 28 and 9 months-ish.

edit: It actually might be Elena Liashenko -- she was 29 and a bit (born Sep. 1976) when she won Ukranian nationals in Dec. 2005. :) She actually won an NHK bronze that season!

edit 2: Actually it seems Tatiana Malinina was also 29. Not sure when her championships were though.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
Is it really hard to get the correct edge for Lutz? I'm not a skater...

99% of the skaters get edge call for their lutz. :slink:

Frenchie

Medalist
Is it really hard to get the correct edge for Lutz? I'm not a skater...

99% of the skaters get edge call for their lutz. :slink:

I noticed that Akiko didn't get an edge call on her Lutz this time. Some have extremely clear wrong edges (Ashley Wagner on her Lutz), some others it's much more subtle, and just before leaving the ice they "wobble" from one edge to the other, so it's far more difficult to say.
I found many of the edge calls Akiko got over the past 2 years questionable, since "in doubt, you should rule in favor of the accused", and I'd have called her Lutz as being started from "the middle", no edge at all!
Anyway, during this competition today, you could have a good look at Akiko's Lutz given the camera angle, and I thought it was a good Lutz, no e necessary. Still, I thought they'd give her one, out of habit! ;) Glad they didn't!

kerufin

Spectator
She already IS doing that, to an extent. I saw a program from Japanese TV, where she talked about her "contingencies" - how she planned to alter her later jumps/combos if an earlier one failed. I don't exactly remember the details, but I think one of the scenarios was specifically in case she failed to make her 3A combo.

Mind you that's exactly what happened here - failed to make her 2nd 3A into a combo... and it doesn't seem like she even tried to change from her "standard" layout afterwards. Maybe she wasn't too serious about this competition?

Anyway, practicing multiple scenarios is maybe not so far-fetched?

According to the Japanese TV, her scenarios were:
- 3A 3A+2T 3F
- 3A 1A/2A (in case she popped it or changed to a double) 3F+3Lo

But neither of them worked in GPF nor nationals:
- She two footed from her second 3A in GPF, which she just can't put another combo on the flip
- Again she put a toe loop after she popped the axel in nationals, effectively occupied one combo box

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I noticed that Akiko didn't get an edge call on her Lutz this time. Some have extremely clear wrong edges (Ashley Wagner on her Lutz), some others it's much more subtle, and just before leaving the ice they "wobble" from one edge to the other, so it's far more difficult to say.
I found many of the edge calls Akiko got over the past 2 years questionable, since "in doubt, you should rule in favor of the accused", and I'd have called her Lutz as being started from "the middle", no edge at all!
Anyway, during this competition today, you could have a good look at Akiko's Lutz given the camera angle, and I thought it was a good Lutz, no e necessary. Still, I thought they'd give her one, out of habit! ;) Glad they didn't!

I actually feel that Akiko, to her credit, has been working to get rid of that (e), which why I think she's been so inconsistent on the jump in past years. For example in her bronze winning performance in 2012, she popped her second lutz. I actually do feel that when she does pull of the jump it is more on an outside edge.