Jeremy Abbott ‘kind of on the fence’ about retiring | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Jeremy Abbott ‘kind of on the fence’ about retiring

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If Fumie can stay in when it makes about 1% of the sense, why not Jeremy. Atleast Jeremy isnt coming 9th at Regionals and bankrupting his parents, while talking about still dreaming of Olympic Gold. He also isnt passing up on a potential pro career like Fumie did. There isnt one for him.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I think it's funny how Jeremy complains of not getting endorsements. Who would sign him after the comments he has made.
It is not really funny, a 4 time national champ should get some sort of flash. Jason has more and he hasn't ever won Nationals.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think it's funny how Jeremy complains of not getting endorsements. Who would sign him after the comments he has made.
It is not really funny, a 4 time national champ should get some sort of flash. Jason has more and he hasn't ever won Nationals.

The endorsements thing makes me giggle a bit because of the four men on the podium at Nationals, only one had significant sponsorship: Max.

But I am a bit surprised the hair-product companies aren't all over Jason. Come on people, he uses about four different kinds in his ponytail prep alone! Get on it!

centerpt1

On the Ice
Jason fans ragging on Jeremy has soured my opinion of Jason. I enjoyed Jason last year before his uber fans started the attacks.

Jeremy wasn't complaining. He was saying he won't have enough $ to keep skating because he doesn't have sponsorship.

Why attack Jeremy? He's out of money, his body is done, and he gets no favors from USFS. He's retiring.

Jeremy has done his part to get 3 slots.

Jason's fans should be worrying about Jason getting a quad in competition- because these days, quad-less doesn't cut it.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh please. Jason's fans are hardly the only ones "ragging on Jeremy". Here is a fact for you: Jeremy is a rubbish competitor. It becomes extremely frustrating to see the same pattern repeat itself over and over: Jeremy does well at Nationals, gets selected to the next event, screws it up, laughs it off. So it becomes frustrating when that same person, after making a ginormous song and dance about Nationals being his last Nationals blah blah blah, suddenly changes their mind.

Anyhow, you are the one constantly talking about Jason's "connections" like somehow he's got a big evil plot to unseat poor widdle Jeremy by appearing on Arsenio.

And if you want to talk about fans ragging on skaters putting them off:

I was put off Jeremy by the hyperaggressive attacks by his fans on Max last year.

Duality

On the Ice
Jason fans ragging on Jeremy has soured my opinion of Jason.

Jason isn't responsible for his fans actions. I don't understand how it's possible to blame Jason for something he didn't do. I guess Jason has the best personality among all US skaters.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Just watch- Jason WILL get preferential treatment this coming season because of his connections- and his team knows it. Why not use every angle to push their guy.

Is it good for skating? Who knows.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
as a rule, I don't attempt to encourage skaters from retiring or sticking around as its kinda inappropriate... but I gotta break my own rule this time... please retire, Jeremy and get on to your next adventure in life. we love you; you were an awesome champion & ambassador for this sport but, sweetheart, its time.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Do you feel that Jeremy is "good for skating"?

If Jeremy wants to continue competing, that is his prerogative. However,he has been the face of US men's skating since Evan& Johnny retired, but interest and viewership has done nothing but drop in the US during that time. While it isn't his fault,he hasn'tcaptured the viewer's imagination either.

While skating may have something to give to Jeremy, I would be surprised if his extended career gives much to US skating,but then, it still is his choice whether to continue or not..

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Just watch- Jason WILL get preferential treatment this coming season because of his connections- and his team knows it. Why not use every angle to push their guy.

You seem to be insistent that Jason has some sort of connections that will give him an unfair advantage. People aren't buying that argument.

Jason got ZERO attention prior to Nationals. Jason himself said that he used to squeal at getting 1,000 views on YouTube. Does that sound like someone who is trying to rest on so-called connections?

So he appeared on Arsenio Hall twice because he's a family friend. Let me give you some perspective: Per this article , Arsenio got a show best 1.4 household rating due to Prince showing up on his show and a 0.6 rating for people in the key 18-49 demo. That's 1.4 percent of all households or 1.6 million households.

ARound the same time, the Tonight Show on Jimmy Fallon got 20 times the amount of viewers. So I hardly call showing up on Arsenio Hall as some sort of television coup by Jason.

Also, the whole "Jason fans ragging on Jeremy" meme is also getting old. Attacking an entire fan base is not a way to get people to like your favorite skater.

Last edited:

Duality

On the Ice

I don't see anything bad with Jason getting preferential treatment because he is better at the moment than any other young US skater and has more potential to become a world or OG medalist than any other US skater. The only thing he needs is a quad.

Personally I like a lot both Jeremy and Jason and don't understand why someone needs to insult either of them.

BlackPack

Medalist
I know that Jason has many, many fans and a lot of viral success, but he and Kori have a great story that the public can root for. Jeremy doesn't except bombing in the Sochi SP and virtually calling himself a martyr afterwards. That turned people off.

I had no idea there was an anti-Jeremy Jason bot camp. Jeremy's critics are really just general skating fans who have been repeatedly disappointed by his results and his questionable attitude and sportsmanship. That is all. "Jason-Bots" would only be necessary if Jeremy was a big threat... which he isn't.

It's his right to do whatever he wants (that is legal), but does the public want to continue watching splatfest after splatfest? He won't get the support he needs to do whatever he is still hoping in an essentially hopeless situation. Despite all his problems he still has a solid fan base especially in Japan, 4 National titles, and he beat OGM Lysacek at one point. He is certainly talented and experienced enough to be a choreographer and consultant. A lot to be grateful for IMO.

Regarding "Fumigation" - regardless of who is the worst offender of the Fumie Syndrome, no one wants to even remotely be associated with it. It's not a good place to be in no matter how much you delude yourself from believing it's over.

Duality

On the Ice
I don't think that we can say that he made a bad or a good decision until we see how he will compete during the next season. Who knows he might perform better and more consistently than in this season. I wish him good luck.

fadeevfan

Rinkside
Jason got ZERO attention prior to Nationals. Jason himself said that he used to squeal at getting 1,000 views on YouTube. Does that sound like someone who is trying to rest on so-called connections?

People will disagree with me here. . . but in all the disciplines, I've felt that we've seen the least amount of propping up and unfair punishment in the U.S. men's placements (at nationals and elsewhere). Jason's getting credit because he's been electric -- much as Jeremy was at the 2010 Nats (best performance by a US man that year, people often forget).

Jeremy gets nasty reactions for a variety of connected reasons: He's never delivered that amazing promise on a world stage; he's a uniquely awkward communicator, and can seem bratty when (I think) he's just needs a better filter; his erratic performances have left many of us frustrated wondering how others (Jason, Aaron, Adam, Josh, etc.) would've fared instead.

I'm not sure you can blame him for any of the above -- he is who he is. But I do wish he'd glide off stage and perform in shows and do choreography. I think his own performances have become precious, a bit tedious, as though he's intent on proving how much more of an artist he is than everyone else. They can be interesting here and there -- but also a bit portentous and not much fun. Maybe if he retired his performances would lighten up -- and he would, too.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Jason fans ragging on Jeremy has soured my opinion of Jason. I enjoyed Jason last year before his uber fans started the attacks.

Jeremy wasn't complaining. He was saying he won't have enough $ to keep skating because he doesn't have sponsorship.

Why attack Jeremy? He's out of money, his body is done, and he gets no favors from USFS. He's retiring.

Jeremy has done his part to get 3 slots.

Jason's fans should be worrying about Jason getting a quad in competition- because these days, quad-less doesn't cut it.

I am not a Jason fan. I like him and look forward to watching him grow and achieve in skating, maybe I will become a fan down the road but my feelings towards Jeremy have nothing to do with Jason or Josh or any other skater.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

So if Jason becomes the new face of figure skating in the US, it will have NOTHING AT ALL to do with his great skating and likeable personality, according to you?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
FWIW: http://thrivesports.com/2014/04/17/jason-brown-after-hectic-3-months-ready-to-rest-relax/

Despite his elevated profile, Brown insisted he’s not a wholly different person.

“What is really cool, as much as so much has changed, everything hasn’t,” he said. “The rink that I train at, the same. The people I’m around don’t treat me any different.”

He didn’t buy a new car, and he isn’t even moving out of the townhouse he shares with junior pairs figure skater Britney Simpson and ice dancer Karina Manta.

“It’s been so much fun,” Brown said of living with them in a house owned by Simpson’s parents. “They surprised me at the gate, when I got home (from the Olympics) with signs and balloons.”

And although his family lives in a suburb of Chicago, Brown still respects their authority and counts on them to help him manage his affairs. For instance, while in Los Angeles to appear on Hall’s show, he was invited to the premier of Divergent.

“I said, ‘Mom, can I stay out a couple more days?’ ” Brown recalled.

Moments later, though, Brown noted that he makes plenty of his own decisions, particularly when he’s in Colorado.

“I’m the same the person,” he insisted.

Which is why he’s going to have a low-key day off.

On Saturday, he’ll stick around the townhouse, watch a movie and hang out with his roommates. At some point, he figures he’ll call some of his best friends from high school, who he hasn’t had a chance to talk to lately.

“Just relax,” he said, “and make use of the day.”

He’s certainly earned it.

He doesn't sound like someone that is getting or even WANTS preferential treatment.... Though I guess you can call living in a home that is owned by his roommate's parents taking advantage of his connections. :laugh:

Last edited:

lefeury

Rinkside
As beautiful as it is, I wonder if anyone will ever, ever use that LP music of his in the future. I mean, he has done it brilliantly, then crashed with it many times and for me the sound of that music makes me nervous. I would certainly be afraid to use it.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Jason has loads of potential, and he is musical. He needs to stay consistent on his 3A, and get a quad in the short and long. He needs more power. I'd prefer him to be less floppy , but that's apparently just me.

If he wins over skaters with more power, better line and quads... then he'll be getting preferential treatment. It hasn't happened yet.

It will be interesting to watch what happens.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Jason has loads of potential, and he is musical. He needs to stay consistent on his 3A, and get a quad in the short and long. He needs more power. I'd prefer him to be less floppy , but that's apparently just me.

If he wins over skaters with more power, better line and quads... then he'll be getting preferential treatment. It hasn't happened yet.

It will be interesting to watch what happens.

Well he won over Max Aaron, who has more speed and quads. He also finished 6th in the SP in Sochi ahead of several skaters with quads, so, I guess the preferential treatment has already happened. :rolleye:

Jason is certainly not perfect and no he doesn't have a quad -- and yes he needs one if he wants to get on the medal stand.

However, he has other qualities the judges seem to appreciate. Namely well-choreographed programs with loads of transitions, lots of charisma and good lines. I don't think he's floppy at all. And even without the quad, he has plenty of technical ability as well. He does five triples on in the second half of his FS, including a 3Z-1L-3S.

Last edited: