Ladies Free Skating - 2013 Trophée Eric Bompard | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Ladies Free Skating - 2013 Trophée Eric Bompard

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
If Adelina goes for 3lz-2t in the FS, it opens up another jumping pass and she could replace the 2nd 3f with a 3lo. The difference in BV is only 0.02 and she's far more likely to land a 3lo late in the program and land it well enough to do a 3-jump combo on it. The first 3f is not usually a problem for her, it's the 2nd one, so if she wants to focus on going clean, she should just plan to do 3lz-2t and then swap the 2nd 3f for a 3lo-2t-2lo. Her 3lo is very strong too, would probably get higher GOEs than her flip which has the swingy technique.

yep will this and can have higher chances of landing all her jumps and her PCS can score higher

kappa_1

On the Ice
None of the programs made any sense. For a moment Wagner just wandered around the rink, and I prefer Adelina's extremely tacky Burlesque program to whatever this is. None of the top three's programs are Olympic season worthy.

Although I only partially agree with you, this made me :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thank you for that.

I really like the first half of Wagner's program...even though it wouldn't be a good idea to rework it this close to the Olympics, I think it has potential and could be outstanding if the second half is modified a bit. I'm impressed with her ability to do all those jumps late in the program, but it just comes off like she's checking things off her grocery list.

I think this is intentional on the part of Ashley's team. She wanted to get the jumps secure, especially the triple-triple. The plan is to add transitions and choreography later.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Ashley's program NEEDS a different music cut. The choreography of her spins and step sequence in the current program don't do her any favors either. Unless those basic things change, it doesn't matter if she adds extra transitions. There isn't any room for "more choreography" that isn't a transition into an element to begin with, because the entire program is already set. She already has a good amount of transitions and choreography throughout the whole program, the problem is that a lot of it simply isn't very interesting and the sum is never more than the whole of the parts.

The program needs to be reworked.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think this is intentional on the part of Ashley's team. She wanted to get the jumps secure, especially the triple-triple. The plan is to add transitions and choreography later.

That's always been a strategy for Ashley in the Nicks era as well. I remember being "OK" on Black Swan early in the season and then when she did at Nationals/4CC/Worlds, it was amazing.

I expect this FS will be great come Nationals.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Oh lord, come off of it. She skated clean, the 3-jump wouldn't have made a difference. Skaters leave out a combo or a three jump combo all the time. You're just finding reason to criticize her just because. :rolleye:

Its true that skaters leave off jumps my mistake all the time but the reason for Adelina doing it is very fixable. For lots of skaters a mistake is a surprise and they have to make a quick decision to leave off the jump but not in Sotnikova's case. This wasn't a surprise omission or surprise flaw so you know what the difference is there. It is very obvious.

zamboni step

Final Flight
Its true that skaters leave off jumps my mistake all the time but the reason for Adelina doing it is very fixable. For lots of skaters a mistake is a surprise and they have to make a quick decision to leave off the jump but not in Sotnikova's case. This wasn't a surprise omission or surprise flaw so you know what the difference is there. It is very obvious.

Actually you can see a slight delay before the 2T as she was probably over-thinking what to do. After pausing, it's quite common to have lost the tension required for another jump which could have lead to any manner of mistake. If she had made a mistake on the last part of a 3-2-2 you would be mocking that....

gmyers

Record Breaker
Actually you can see a slight delay before the 2T as she was probably over-thinking what to do. After pausing, it's quite common to have lost the tension required for another jump which could have lead to any manner of mistake. If she had made a mistake on the last part of a 3-2-2 you would be mocking that....

You are right! Because the 3 jump combo is based off of the flip. So any trouble she has comes from the fact that she's trying a 3 jump combo off her worst jump. So if she fell on the last double toe or doesn't do it or falls on the first jump of the 3 jump which would be flip you know the root cause and why the mistake happened. So I would totally be pointing out that's she was doing something she shouldn't because it hurts her potential for more success.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Sotnikova did 3Flip+2Toe+2Loop at Europeans last year, just get off of it. This LP was a good stepping stone for her and hopefully she can build on it.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Sotnikova did 3Flip+2Toe+2Loop at Europeans last year, just get off of it. This LP was a good stepping stone for her and hopefully she can build on it.

I know. That was after she singled a flip. So what does that show? She can never do all she plans because of flips. She can't do 3F and 3F-2t-2lp and refuses to change.

zamboni step

Final Flight
I know. That was after she singled a flip. So what does that show? She can never do all she plans because of flips. She can't do 3F and 3F-2t-2lp and refuses to change.

She could skate a perfect 7 triple, 2 double axel long program and you'd be complaining about how the music hurt your ears.

gmyers

Record Breaker
She could skate a perfect 7 triple, 2 double axel long program and you'd be complaining about how the music hurt your ears.

She did 6 triples that involved a flutz and 2 double axels and didn't max out her jumping opportunities for obvious reasons. So if she did those 9 jumps she could still have made the error of omission. Which is what I am saying. If she did a perfect program with all jumps and no flutzing than there would be nothing to complain about at all! Like I dislike her personally? No that is not accurate. Not just looking for any reason to criticize but she makes mistakes that are clearly indicated by precedent she will make and doesn't try to move away from 2 flips.

astronaut

Rinkside
I enjoyed the freeskates. I can see Samantha Cesario as a possibility for the "3rd spot" on the US Olympic team. I also think Ashley Wagner will have her freeskate clicking on all 8 by Nationals.

Mike

zamboni step

Final Flight
Yes she can do it. Skating a perfect program is not easy, it takes time.

Exactly, also I didn't see anyone saying Julia skated sub-par at the 2013 Junior Worlds FS just because she doubled one salchow. People seem to be in shock over her skating clean to the point of trying to make it sound like she didn't so they can process this information.

emma

Record Breaker
That's always been a strategy for Ashley in the Nicks era as well. I remember being "OK" on Black Swan early in the season and then when she did at Nationals/4CC/Worlds, it was amazing.

I expect this FS will be great come Nationals.

I wasn't quite as cold on Black Swan early in the season; but I agree with your general point and think that was something of a pattern last year too (although there she was holding off on the triple triple too, but unfortunately the injury at GPF plus getting sick before nationals sort of ruined that plan). I think getting the jumps secure and the levels is key - she already has good PCS and they can only improve. And, I think there is already improvement in this LP so I too look forward to watching this continue to progress.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Looking at the protocols, it seems a bit harsh that Anna P got a < on the 1Lo on her 3Lo-1Lo-3S sequence, which undoubtedly affected her GOE on the element.

It's got to be clean, and it wasn't. It's not harsh, it's the proper call. The 1/2 Lo is a tricky beast to master consistently.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Funny how last year people wrote Rus girls off the Oly podium. Now they have a chance to place 3!:yay:

And I have a better chance to win the lottery--every lottery being held for the next zillion years, since Russia can only send 2 women to the Olympics...

;)