Ladies : History to repeat itself? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ladies : History to repeat itself?

TryMeLater

On the Ice
Isn’t it too early to know the rest of her career? By 2013 people said she would lose her jumps soon. Now she still has them. Who knows how it will happen.

I don't recall people saying that about Medevedeva in 2013. They did say so this season and it didn't happen.
In 2013 the talk was about Lipnitskaya and she did retire by 2016.

charlotte14

Medalist
I don't recall people saying that about Medevedeva in 2013. They did say so this season and it didn't happen.
In 2013 the talk was about Lipnitskaya and she did retire by 2016.
From late 2013 and early 2015 they said that Medvedeva was the least talented among her peer (the second wave of wunderkind after Liza and Adelina). They said she’s slow like a snail, that her jumps were too small, she might not survive puberty.
We shall see what she’s going to do with the rest of her career. But so far I’d say she will keep fighting.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Kurt Browning was talking about that very same topic when covering the Ladies free skate. Unfortunately, the old days of figure skating where a Carolina Kostner had FS longevity are pretty much gone. Even the new phenoms don't always keep going due to injury or the new kid on the block replacing him or her. As both Kurt and Carol said sometimes it's even by choice. Some skaters love to compete and hang in there others find it stressful and move on. It's hard to say with these two Russian ladies, Alina is a wonderful jumper and of course being so young has that on her side. Evgenia looked pretty unhappy winning the Silver when she expected the Gold at these Olympics. Who knows? she might give it another run. Of course as Kurt pointed out there is another Russian female skater working on a quad as we speak.

charlotte14

Medalist
The thing is, judges tend to go with the younger girls with higher tech. Of course it happens in men too but they’re not as extreme as in ladies.
I am not sure this is a good example for the skaters though. To be successful you should be young with the higher difficulties, so when you’re older and spend years to polish your presentation skills it doesn’t matter much.
Yeap I know they over reward Carolina for that but she never wins something big aside from WC 2012.

TryMeLater

On the Ice
From late 2013 and early 2015 they said that Medvedeva was the least talented among her peer (the second wave of wunderkind after Liza and Adelina). They said she’s slow like a snail, that her jumps were too small, she might not survive puberty.
We shall see what she’s going to do with the rest of her career. But so far I’d say she will keep fighting.

The point that I was trying to make is that I don't think she passed her puberty yet. We'll have to wait and see.
Personally, I like skaters who stay and polish their craft (a-la Kostner).
I hope she can become the name of figure skating in Russia.

Nightcrawler

On the Ice
Are the "retirement" hopefuls becoming the new "puberty bug" hopefuls? Why should anyone retire? It's not 1998 any more.
The very same Sotnikova who was lucky enough to win in 2014 and wasn't nearly as successful or dominant as Zagitova threatens to be, didn't retire immediately and competed into the 2016 season (not successfully, but still).
With show skating becoming almost extinct, it's much more profitable for a skater to remain competitive than go the "Dancing with the stars" way.
Besides, Alina hasn't started winning yet. She's never been to Worlds and I'm sure she's very competitive. I don't think she'll retire before her career starts.

charlotte14

Medalist
Are the "retirement" hopefuls becoming the new "puberty bug" hopefuls? Why should anyone retire? It's not 1998 any more.
The very same Sotnikova who was lucky enough to win in 2014 and wasn't nearly as successful or dominant as Zagitova threatens to be, didn't retire immediately and competed into the 2016 season (not successfully, but still).
With show skating becoming almost extinct, it's much more profitable for a skater to remain competitive than go the "Dancing with the stars" way.
Besides, Alina hasn't started winning yet. She's never been to Worlds and I'm sure she's very competitive. I don't think she'll retire before her career starts.
That’s not the point though. At this rate Zagitova might be the only gold medalist for the Russia. The attention on her will be huge. Many headlines in Russia will be about her. Ice shows, talks, tivi shows will invite her, media will talk much about her.
She is just 15 years old. I hope she will be strong enough for all of that.
We saw what happened to Yulia 4 years ago. When the whole Russia gaga over the poor girl and pushed her around with so much pressure.

Nightcrawler

On the Ice
That’s not the point though. At this rate Zagitova might be the only gold medalist for the Russia. The attention on her will be huge. Many headlines in Russia will be about her. Ice shows, talks, tivi shows will invite her, media will talk much about her.
She is just 15 years old. I hope she will be strong enough for all of that.
We saw what happened to Yulia 4 years ago. When the whole Russia gaga over the poor girl and pushed her around with so much pressure.

For some reason, I really doubt she'll take the Yulia road. She doesn't strike me as someone who's easily distracted by fame and I'm sure she knows she can dominate (her win was no fluke). Plus, she's got the skills, work ethic and competitive mindset to pull it off, something neither Yulia, Adelina, Tara or Sarah could.
I'm convinced she'll go on.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Is Alina going to be Russia only gold medallist? Crazy!

They might get the hockey gold. I'm sure that will put a smile on a lot of faces.

Of course it's sort of hard not to root for Germany.. such huge underdogs. Decisions, decisions. I just hope its a good game and both teams feel they gave it their all.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
They might get the hockey gold. I'm sure that will put a smile on a lot of faces.

Of course it's sort of hard not to root for Germany.. such huge underdogs. Decisions, decisions. I just hope its a good game and both teams feel they gave it their all.

This would be a nice post from anyone, but coming from a Canadian...I'd call it epic nice! Ain't nobody loves hockey like you guys so kudos for being so gracious! :agree:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Kurt Browning was talking about that very same topic when covering the Ladies free skate. Unfortunately, the old days of figure skating where a Carolina Kostner had FS longevity are pretty much gone. Even the new phenoms don't always keep going due to injury or the new kid on the block replacing him or her. As both Kurt and Carol said sometimes it's even by choice. Some skaters love to compete and hang in there others find it stressful and move on. It's hard to say with these two Russian ladies, Alina is a wonderful jumper and of course being so young has that on her side. Evgenia looked pretty unhappy winning the Silver when she expected the Gold at these Olympics. Who knows? she might give it another run. Of course as Kurt pointed out there is another Russian female skater working on a quad as we speak.

Well if Zhenya was Italian, or from another smaller skating country, we wouldn't have this discussion. She could continue as long as she wanted as long as she sometimes landed her triples. But in Russia, with all the talented juniors, that's simply not possible. You must be constantly improving in order to even make the GP. I'd rather have that than someone like Kostner who can go to every championship she wants practically because her next competitor in her country (Giada Russo) can't even make the free at an ISU championship consistently

Also, Zhenya probably knew this was her last Olympics. The pressure on her was so intense and she is a perfectionist. To her, silver is probably like last. She is constantly striving for the gold. Considering that, yeah, I think it's normal that she looked pretty disappointed...

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Well if Zhenya was Italian, or from another smaller skating country, we wouldn't have this discussion. She could continue as long as she wanted as long as she sometimes landed her triples. But in Russia, with all the talented juniors, that's simply not possible. You must be constantly improving in order to even make the GP. I'd rather have that than someone like Kostner who can go to every championship she wants practically because her next competitor in her country (Giada Russo) can't even make the free at an ISU championship consistently

Also, Zhenya probably knew this was her last Olympics. The pressure on her was so intense and she is a perfectionist. To her, silver is probably like last. She is constantly striving for the gold. Considering that, yeah, I think it's normal that she looked pretty disappointed...
Yes. It doesn't matter how competitive Evgenia could be at the international level if she cannot actually qualify for the international competitions due to her fellow Russian ladies being so strong.

What Kostner's doing for example just wouldn't fly. She falls or pops in a few competitions and she's out. And probably won't come back.

charlotte14

Medalist
For some reason, I really doubt she'll take the Yulia road. She doesn't strike me as someone who's easily distracted by fame and I'm sure she knows she can dominate (her win was no fluke). Plus, she's got the skills, work ethic and competitive mindset to pull it off, something neither Yulia, Adelina, Tara or Sarah could.
I'm convinced she'll go on.
She is still just 15. I don’t know if at that age they’re equipped with enough mentality to deal with the craziness of society.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
This would be a nice post from anyone, but coming from a Canadian...I'd call it epic nice! Ain't nobody loves hockey like you guys so kudos for being so gracious! :agree:

I love underdogs. I think a lot of fans from all countries do. But I have a lot of respect for Russians and their passion for hockey. Probably along with Sweden we are some of the most hockey mad people in the world.

Canadians still look back with lots of nostalgia on the 72 summit series. Ah the glorious Red Army team.

Either way Gold or Silver it will be a huge achievement for the Germans and I hope their country embraces them. Germany is having a really good games.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Looking at the responses to ladies free skate, I think history has already repeated itself, with the close and somewhat shocking victory and mainly the 'artistry vs athletism' debate and two groups of people each backing one of the skaters and either defending the Gold medalist or saying the second skater should have won, that group being seemingly larger but mainly being more heard since it was not the winning side.

pohatta

On the Ice
I love underdogs. I think a lot of fans from all countries do. But I have a lot of respect for Russians and their passion for hockey. Probably along with Sweden we are some of the most hockey mad people in the world.

Don't forget Finland. They just made a movie of their 1995 Worlds victory that premiered at Christmas.

I can see a good future for Zagitova. It's not like with Sotnikova, her win was so controversial that it was hard to continue as if nothing had happened.