Ladies : History to repeat itself? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Ladies : History to repeat itself?

CeCiLiA

Rinkside
In 1998 a heavy favorite 18 year old Michelle Kwan was beaten by a 15 year old Lipinski
In 2018 a heavy favorite 18 year old Evgenia Medvedeva was beaten by a 15 year old Zagitova

In 1998 Lipinski retires
In 2018 Zagitova retires

Kwan continues to compete for another 4 Years and ends up with the bronze medal in 2012
Medvedeva continues to compete for another 4 Years and ends up with a bronze medal (?) in 2022

Do you think history will repeat itself?
I think we will see a lot of up and coming skaters who will like Zagitova beat Medvedeva at her own game. I think in the next Olympic cycle women will have to have a quad or triple axel to compete leaving Evgenia behind technically.[/QUs

:(:(
Sadly, i think no...the russian girls are so strong and they have a lot of talent to come from junior untill the next olympic game to replace the actual senior girls. Is not the case like other country where the girls can go at least 2 or 3 olympic games, or 4 like Costner. Russia have a lot of girls with better jumps and time to development their art for Beijin 2022.

GGFan

Record Breaker
It's an analogy and like all of them they break down if you look too closely.

The ages match but there are many differences. Alina is not the defending world champ. Alina and Evgenia train together. Evgenia is not the artist Michelle was. There are no ordinals involved here--because if there were Evgenia would have won.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I don't think Zagitova will retire right away. She'll want at least one world title first. It's not the same situation as with Sotnikova since Zag has been much more successful overall than Sot. before winning the OGM and could probably "easily" get a World title, while Sot's lights-out skate in 2014 was maybe a one-time deal... she may have had trouble getting even bronze if she showed up at the following worlds, while Zag is almost guaranteed a gold or silver at the 2018 Worlds. I can't see anyone beating her besides Med.