LADIES LONG PROGRAM Thread | Page 12 | Golden Skate

LADIES LONG PROGRAM Thread

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I've seen Alissa live, and she is indeed quite slow. I suspect this was one factor that kept her back at Worlds last year even though she skated fairly well, given that she was put behind Caro Kostner (very fast), Alena Leonova (sloppy but fast), Yu-Na Kim (fast), Miki Ando (also quite fast).

About Ashley--she has been her own worst enemy for the past couple of seasons with all those 2-foots and not being able to peak at the right time. You won't get much street cred if you can't even make it out of your own Nationals properly.

Just by placement comparisons alone, Ashley's is the U.S Akiko Suzuki.

Akiko - 4th 4th 9th 12th 12th 10th 5th 4th 2nd 4th
Ashley - 3rd 3rd 4th 6th

Akiko obviously saw early success in her early years with two solid 4th place finishes in 2001 and 2002. Obviously we know that Anorexia did her in for two seasons, but even her comeback was a long time coming. As a result, it would take six Japanese nationals (and a medal finish at the 2008 NHK) before she would be taken seriously at the national level (thanks to that fantastic Dark Eyes program).

Likewise Ashley had some early success but has not been able to rise much higher than that. I think Ashley's best decision was to make some serious changes relatively early in her career (I know it seems that she's been in the game FOREVER, but really, as you can see, it's only been about four years). I think Ashley needs to be patient, don't want it too bad and she will get there. It seems that Mr. Nicks is teaching her well on that, judging by her post-interview competition. She as scored in the 109-110 range. This is a good start. Work on the 3F-3T for the next few months then you got it made.

Compare that with Alissa, who ended up, imo, staying way too long with her previous coach. (She did not even medal until her sixth U.S. nationals and then went on a super roller coaster after that).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley had a successful Junior Career---two JGP gold medals and a JGPF silver in 2006/2007. But she hasn't impressed the judges that much as a senior skater, despite making it to the GPF in 2009/2010 and finishing 4th. Maybe it's because she hasn't represented the USA at Worlds since 2008, when she finished 16th; she was 8th at 4CC the same year.

Trewyn

Medalist
Interesting discussion about Ashley. I'm glad people seem to agree she was probably robbed of the bronze in this competition, she should not have been five points behind Leonova overall! Seriously.
Ashley's issues in the past; two-footing and not peaking at the right time seem to have become a big hurdle to overcome. She's made great progress the past seasons (except last season was pretty weak; her Malaguena wasn't working very well and recycling her short was a bad move as well). This year with Nicks, I really hope she'll *finally* have another great Nationals (last really good Nats was 2008) and makes the world team. I really think her two-footing issues have gotten better... I'm not too worried about her mistake on the loop in this competition; her feet got a bit tangled, but the loop is usually a pretty good jump for her. It's the flip that she's had issues with two-footing often in the past and her toe jumps are looking really solid right now (at least to my eye, but I admit I'm not a skater), except for the edge on the lutz.
Her programs are pretty good this year, I had my doubts about the 'Black Swan' program at first but she seems to love it so much herself that I can only love it as well; because she sells it! Her real weakness in NHK was the short; I thought she skated a little hesitantly and with the upbeat, fluttery music her insecurities stood out more.

It's hard to accept that Worlds 2008 is what 'did her in' in every possible way. She was 16, first year as a senior and failed to deliver. It was definitely not a good performance and she messed up; but for it to be held against her even now nearly four years later is a bit sad. Of course it's because she's never been able to make another worlds appearance. And that's because there were only two spots and there were only two spots because the US ladies messed up in 2008 and... You see; it all comes back to that one moment in 2008 and that's got to be a bitter pill to swallow. She's been wanting redemption for what feels like forever. She's got the goods so all I can do as a big fan is cross my fingers and hope it'll finally happen :)

PS Small question: Nicky said during Ashley's gala that the top 10 make it into the GP final; I was confused... It's only the top six, right? Even for juniors this year... Nicky get his facts wrong? (wouldn't be the first time, but I still love him ;-))

camion

On the Ice
I've seen Alissa live, and she is indeed quite slow. I suspect this was one factor that kept her back at Worlds last year even though she skated fairly well, given that she was put behind Caro Kostner (very fast), Alena Leonova (sloppy but fast), Yu-Na Kim (fast), Miki Ando (also quite fast).

About Ashley--she has been her own worst enemy for the past couple of seasons with all those 2-foots and not being able to peak at the right time. You won't get much street cred if you can't even make it out of your own Nationals properly.

I watched Alissa at this year's Skate America and her skating has become surprisingly fast compared to the time I last saw her in Spokane in 2007.

True about Ashley at nationals when she gets herself into a grind because she screws up in the sp, but I thought she deserved the bronze here. The judges gave way too much credit to Alena's sloppy skating for her lp.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alena gets the nod over Ashley because Alena has a far better international record. Alena was 4th, just a step from the podium, at 2011 Worlds, and 5th at 2011 Euros. She also finished in the top 10 at the 2010 Olympics.

IMO that is why Alena got those ridiculously high PCS scores in the SP and the FS, ensuring that she would edge out Ashley for bronze. Alyssa cannot afford even the smallest mistake---such as URs on her flip and loop---when she is facing skaters with international cred.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just caught up with the ladies' final last night. While I like Alena Leonova's programs in general, I felt Ashley should have been on the podium. So happy for Mao. She was glowing, and so good to see her smile again (basically the same feeling I had when the smile came back on Midori Ito's face in the latter part of her free skate in Albertville 1992). I :love: Akiko!!!!! I:love: "Die Fledermaus" for her!

Ashley's blade to ice skating is among the best and should be noted by the judges. Hope she makes the Worlds but US Nats is strange to me.

mskater93

Record Breaker
^^^^
Unfortunately, she doesn't have the "rep" of being a good SKATER with the judges (both at US Nationals or internationally) and so takes it in the shorts a little on her PCS mark (until she shows some consistency in terms of skating and ability to deliver). I happen to agree that she has very strong edgework and clean and quick turns and I always enjoy her skating, especially because even if she skates to a warhorse, she has taken a different approach choreographically. What I am really appreciating what John Nicks and Philip Mills have done with Ashley is to get her to SLOW DOWN her movement without taking the speed and power out of her skating. She used to rush through everything so the presentation of the programs never seemed completely "finished" and her jump take offs used to be so rushed that this is what caused a lot of her under rotation and two foot issues. Many have remarked on the improved quality of her tech elements and this is completely related to taking her time on the entries.
Basically, when she was turning backwards and almost immediately picking for her flip (or toe loop) or bending and springing on her loop, she didn't allow herself to settle over the correct side to rotate and so was somewhat "center" in her axis of rotation which caused her to come down on 2 feet a lot. Now that she's taking her time, her rotational axis is correct over the left side of her body which makes the jumps MUCH easier to land and get credit for.