Ladies SP - 2013 Rostelecom Cup | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP - 2013 Rostelecom Cup

Icey

Record Breaker
I assume you are referring to e-mailing the ISU re today's judging??

One way would be to send a message via one of the ISU's Facebook pages. Or you could post a comment on one of its FB pages.

When people post comments on www.facebook.com/ISUFigureSkating, sometimes an official ISU response later gets added to the page.

(The ISU also has a general FB page, not limited to Figure Skating. I have not looked at either page today. Don't know what kind and what quantity of comments have been posted re Rostelecom judging.)

That's good information, but I meant--and should have made it clear--the misinformation the Brit commentators were giving out.

Icey

Record Breaker
Good to see Mirai have such a solid skate. Julia's team is genius, brilliant at choosing music for her and packaging her.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
That's good information, but I meant--and should have made it clear--the misinformation the Brit commentators were giving out.

Oh, sorry, Icey. I lost track of the flow of the thread. :eek:hwell:
Ironic b/c as my posts reflect, I too am concerned about the mistakes by the British commentators. But I am in the U.S., and am not familiar with Eurosport social media and the like.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Also noticed that many of Julia's spins travel quite a bit.

In this SP, her first two spins were centred just fine.

However her final combo spin definitely travelled, and yet it got +3's from 7/9 judges. (I would have given it a +2, personally, but certainly not a +3. Layback definitely deserved +3, the flying camel +2.)

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Good to see Mirai have such a solid skate. Julia's team is genius, brilliant at choosing music for her and packaging her.

I still love Mirai. She skates with a poker face now, probably because she REALLY has to concentrate on her elements since she has a new body. I love her skating, and I find it hard to watch her in competition because I think she is still uh-maze-ing but gets hosed. I'm not an armchair fan, but if we need to get a protractor out there to determine she is one degree over 90, then it is f'd up.

I was worried for Julia last season, I thought her programs were wrong, I thought the packaging was all wrong. I'm not a fan of her SP all that much and her drawing hearts on the ice, but in a way it seemed endearing. We all were teens and probably wrote hearts in our notebooks during class. I think it is age appropriate, and her team definitely did not go the 'glam' route this year. The little girl in Schindler's List? Hardly. I've watched Julia's FS probably ten times, Mao's maybe three. Ask me which is more compelling.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
In this SP, her first two spins were centred just fine.

However her final combo spin definitely travelled, and yet it got +3's from 7/9 judges. (I would have given it a +2, personally, but certainly not a +3.)

For me, a travelled spin is the worst type of errors in spins. Flexible position or speed is no excuse. It's like a two footed quad, being a quad does not compensate the error.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Not impressed by Julia at all. She seems juniory to me. She was not graceful with her arms and legs and I even noticed that traveling spin. What would Dick Button say?:laugh:

I love Agnes. She does not try to force herself into the ballerina mold. She's like a tough showgirl type, like Elaine Zayak or Elizabeth Manley. I hope she never changes. Sex and the City soundtrack!

If Carolina skates so fast and with such power, why does she pick such slow, bland music? I loved her dress, though. I'm not a fan of her, but she was robbed for this short program.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Really? "At all"? She did excellent jumps - the only one in the field with 3Z-3T - and difficult spin positions with only travelling on the last spin.

She's still very juniory to me too, but I'd rather she be a little girl than pretend to be a mature woman. But for 15, she does show quite a bit of maturity nevertheless.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
For me, a travelled spin is the worst type of errors in spins. Flexible position or speed is no excuse. It's like a two footed quad, being a quad does not compensate the error.

I'm going to cut her some slack. Maintaining a centred spin in some of those contorted positions is very difficult. I think the worst types of errors in spins are poor speed and bad positions. Centering is also very important but a well centred spin with poor positions and speed, IMO, is worse than a fast spin with good positions that happens to travel.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I believe Han's 3A meets 4-8.

Well 8 is just good choreography. 1 and 2 can/should go together. I can't believe you could come up with an unexpected/creative/difficult entry without preceding a jump with clearly recognizable steps or free skating movements. Gone are the days of Lavrenchuk's 3loop. The only thing unexpected about that 3loop was if she got off the ice and landed it!

But it makes me wonder, how was Han Yan given +3 GOE based on this criteria? I will say that personally that was the most beautiful 3axel I've ever seen, but did he meet the bullets for +3?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Have not seen the event at all, but looked at the protocols.

What happened to Kanako Murakami?! :confused::confused::confused:

Kanako was skating very well until she absolutely blew her combo to a 2T-2T<<. And then her 3F was UR'ed as well. There is something a bit frenetic about her skate, especially before she heads into the 3-3. Poor girl though, I hate seeing somebody usually so bubbly and cheery be in tears in the K&C. :disapp:

Moment

Final Flight
did anybody notice that Julia's 3lz-3T take off from an slight inside edge(check the slo-mo in the end). I think she should deserve a edge call here. Also, her flip take-off edge seems changed from outside edge into inside edge (flip should take off from inside edge so no problem here, not a very good take off technique though). People here are talking about Julia's PCS is inflated, but I think technique wise, she is good but not "great". He spins are fast with super flexibility but travels a bit at times. her jump technique is not perfect (tendency to have wrong edges in both lz and flip and worrisome 2A). I don't know if she will keep her jumping ability once she mature(But her jumps do seem to have more power this year and bigger). Hope she can improve her jump technique in the future and also her presentation (One thing bothers me the most about her skating is her lack of extension, especially her arms...)

Yeah it was a flutz.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yeah it was a flutz.

Yup. Her combo, like in her FS at SC, should be getting about 9.8 points, and not 11.0 points. GOE should still be 0 or -1 though, since the rest of the combo was executed fine.

And with 1 or 2 points less PCS (than what the judges gave her here), she'd have scored around 69-70.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm not blind, the second triple toe was not perfect clean, her foot is not straight at the landing. Ok maybe this deserve to be call clean but if her name was Mirai she would have get downgrade for that.

But, I cannot believe that she get +1 GOE for that combo the landing was not secure so only 0 GOE was fine for that jump.

I do agree that if it had been Mirai it would have been called UR or even downgraded. And if Mirai had competed and flutzed a 3Lz she would have gotten an edge call as well.

Woke up early to watch, saw it was only 4am (ET), told myself I could sleep another hour or so, and when I woke up it was already 7am. :disapp:

Guess I'll have to wait for the vids.

So is this an accurate synopsis: Julia skated perfect, Caro only OK and needs to bust a move (like a career best) tomorrow, and a cluster of skaters around 60 fighting for bronze?

This is exactly what happened to me! I told myself 'I'll just doze a little longer' and I missed the whole thing! I'm going to try to hang this time for the Ladie's LP.

Mirai got 3 GPs?

No. Finlandia isn't one of the GPs.

Julia has improved her 2A, it gets more height as she has curved her jump up in the air instead of just rotating it
Julia should have gotten a 75+ here

your delusional, you've been saying Julia will lose her jumps since she was what 13 ?
she is growing and she still has her jumps and has gotten better

so deal with it !!!
stop your whining

^^^
THIS! Julia's jumps, except for the axel are just fine and dandy. In some respects some of the posts read as sourgrapes that a teenager is (once-again) beating the more experienced woman. Kind of like the flak Tara Lipinski got - Tara's artistry at that age was nowhere near Julia's level imo, nevermind the jumps but the resentment was pretty clear. Everyone hits their peak at different times. For skaters like Tara and Oksana it was at 15. For Mirai, it looks like 16 was the magic number. She really hasn't been the same since 2010-2011. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a long and prosperous career ala Kwan. And Michelle unlike someone like Mirai got lucky in the gene pool. She didn't lose anything as she matured. On the contrary, she got better and better. Mirai seems to have undergone at least 2 growth spurts. She's matured even more since she won bronze at 4CCs in 2011.

Ditto!

I have to disagree with you wrt the casual skating viewer. She is a pretty young girl, has the most incredible looking spins, she lands all her jumps, and is musical (at least IMO). I prefer this kind of presentation than fakey Betty Boop moves like your idol tried. To a skating oficionado, her marks don't make sense, but to the casual viewer I think ladies' skating will very much stay alive.

In a way Lip is the 'anti-Chan'. I'm more worried that Chan will fall all over the ice and still get OGM. The casual viewer could potentially be turned off forever if that happened. But if Lip skates cleanly with a compelling program, I don't see an outrage brewing.

:rock:

I preferred Julia to Kostner here. Just because Kostner is a seasoned skater doesn't mean the quality of her elements are above an upstart like Julia. Whether you like it or not, the Russians' are a breath of fresh air in a ladies competition that's been consistently dominated by one female skater. Bring on Yuna, bring on Mao, because the Russians here whether one likes it or not.

Let the excitement begin.

THIS!

He misspoke. It happens. Wasn't Worlds in Torino that year?

I think the unspoken Elephant in the Room is that those British commentators misspoke about Chan and Nagasu due to their Asian appearance. That's what I think anyway. I'm glad that at least one of them (Nick I think?) apologized for the error. This reminds me a little bit of the year Mirai was introduced at one event (was it 4CCs?) as "Representing Japan - Mirai Nagasu". I remember Mirai shaking her head at that one!

I remember Mirai going up 26 (Olympics) to 30 (Worlds) at 2010. And that was one of the best PCS out there too. (Mao and Yuna both got 30) This is the way judges saying she is a contender now.

Agreed. I think for some time now - not just at COR but at every competition - the judges have been sending the message that as far as they're concerned Julia is the real deal for Sochi and an Olympic medal - possibly gold.

Oy...what a competition...sometimes this is what I don't like about this sport.

Carolina- did much much better than CoC. She actually sold her program to me this time. She was emotive and believed what she wanted to convey on the ice. To have her 1 point above Julia in PCS is umm.... :scratch: 4 point jump in PCS within 3 weeks is ...:clap:good job judges.

Julia- is fine to watch. She does things well, but doesn't connect with anyone. It's a lot about look at this position, or this spin. Her jumps don't warrant the GOEs she gets- some of them have distance, but very little height. I don't believe "it's because they're young" argument. Many people had bigger jumps at her age, including all the top skaters, Liza, Adelina, even Anna.
Besides the crazy acrobatic positions she gets into, many of the jumps travel, and it doesn't seem like she has that much control over them- so +3's, not in agreement.

I hope this isn't reflective of Sochi. End of story.

Did you mean spins not jumps? I disagree about Julia not connecting with 'anyone' - she certainly connects with ME and I'm sure others. More importantly with the judges though.

The judging of this event gave me death in my soul. I should be cynical enough to know that is the case already - yes - but it was a particularly in-your-face confirmation that it's all about politics/momentum and the judges don't see to be very concerned with how the elements and the programs are actually performed on the ice... :(

Julia's jumps, except for the axel are just fine and dandy.

Do you mean in general or in that particular performance?

In that particular performance, the axel maybe didn't have a great deal of height but it wasn't done barely-over-the-ice-Lipinski-style either and it was well-balanced on the landing and had good speed out so I'd say +1 GOE.

However:

There wasn't a lot of speed and flow out of neither the lutz (which had a slightly 'heavy' landing, she seemed to have her weight on most of the blade straight away) nor the toe and there was hesitation between the two jumps. Base GOE would have been fine but I don't see how +1 and +2 could be applicable to that element.

There was a short gap after the footwork preceding the 3flip and it was off an unclear edge, if you want to give her the benefit of the doubt (and the panel did). She was on the outside edge when the step into the jump was almost finished and appeared to be rolling onto the inside edge just before lift-off. In real time, I thought it was a lip but would have to watch it frame-by-frame to be 100% sure of the edge status when she took off.

In general, unclear edges on flip and lutz is something we've seen from her in the past (and yes, she doesn't get as much height as most skaters - but then, she is quite tiny).

Slowdive

On the Ice
Christ.
I wish many of you would just get a life.
It's not like any of your bitching is going to change the outcome of this or any event.
Just enjoy the performances.
:rolleye:

Christ.
I wish many of you would just get a life.
It's not like any of your bitching is going to change the outcome of this or any event.
Just enjoy the performances.
:rolleye:

It's a sport, not an entertainment show and the rules are there for a reason. If anything goes, why bother? Why not just have judges hand out ordinals (oh wait, that's pretty much exactly what they are doing :p) or even better, relieve them of having to watch what's actually going on and have sms/internet voting by the audience or the loudest ovation in-the-arena wins? #drama

(Yes, I know I am exaggerating ;))