OK here are our reassigments:
Coki: 24, 31, 38, 45, 52, 59
Dafna: 25, 32, 39, 46, 53, 60
Loveshura: 26, 33, 40, 47, 54, 61
Meganda: 27, 34, 41, 48, 55, 62
NazAli: 28, 35, 42, 49, 56, 63
Scout: 29, 36, 43, 50, 57
Yasemin: 30, 37, 44, 51, 58

Nazli baci, It was way back on post 2130 page 142. So I think we're now on to Dafna with B32. Efendi do you want to step into Loveshura's or Yasemin's shoes here. I think we have lost them for a while, we'll see if they speak up.

I have so enjoyed the the most recent discussions - great insights and thought provoking conclusions. Thanks all.

Dafna, I wish I had known about your friends' visit to Istanbul. The thought occurred to me the other day. We could have given them the assignment to find Cem's 5x5 bar, I could have given some glues. Oh well. We could have given them Yasi's, Savas' office and the Baldar mansion adddress, so they could have visited first hand. LOL :)

Dafna

On the Ice
Nazli baci, It was way back on post 2130 page 142. So I think we're now on to Dafna with B32. Efendi do you want to step into Loveshura's or Yasemin's shoes here. I think we have lost them for a while, we'll see if they speak up.

I have so enjoyed the the most recent discussions - great insights and thought provoking conclusions. Thanks all.

Dafna, I wish I had known about your friends' visit to Istanbul. The thought occurred to me the other day. We could have given them the assignment to find Cem's 5x5 bar, I could have given some glues. Oh well. We could have given them Yasi's, Savas' office and the Baldar mansion adddress, so they could have visited first hand. LOL :)

Mehraba, so now I am on for #32. Please, give me a little time.

Meganda, you are right about photos. I wanted to ask my friend to hunt and take photos only for one place at least. The palace that is shown in both “1001 Nights” and “Lovebird”. The one where Onur proposes to Sherazad. It’s interiors are shown extensively in “Lovebird”. It is a beautiful palace. I tried but I couldn’t find it, at least it’s name. I like that palace.

Efendi

Spectator
Merhaba Meganda,

It would be my pleasure. I can take up Loveshura's list and review B33 after Dafna unless Loveshura appears soon.

I just finished Season 2 today and as much as I wanted to see Yasemin & Savas' wedding like most of you, I think they gave a decent closure to the series. The vision of the lovers living happily ever after is something that most of us want to see when a movie or a series ends with a wedding, right? I can't help but wonder if they had planned to end it this way from the beginning or if they had to cut the wedding out due to financial constraints (like most Turkish series). Personally, I would have added in the wedding as it would have beautifully contrasted the forced and loveless wedding of Kemal and Cicek with which the series started.

A few days ago, as I was curious about the casting of Savas' and Yasemin's mothers, I was surprised to learn that the actress, Tomris Incer, who played Shahnur, in real life was only 62 and that the actress who played Leyla was actually 3 years older than her. In the series, I felt the age gap appeared much larger. Shahnur said she had Mustafa late in her life, in her early forties (?), and I really had a hard time to see her as a 57-60 year old lady. She could have played Savas' grandmother and it would have been believable. What do you all think? On a sad note, I was so sorry to find out that Tomris Incer passed away at the age of 68 a few years after the show ended. I was worried that they would show her passing away and I'd become incredibly emotional but this coincidental find still had an interesting impact as I became more empathetic as I watched Shahnur's end of life journey, her remorse and her attempts to address her regrets... loving her sweetness and delicious smiles. RIP Tomris canim.

Thanks for reading.

iyi geceler

NazAli

On the Ice

Tesekkuler ederim , Meganda baci.
Shukran !

NazAli

On the Ice
Merhaba Meganda,

It would be my pleasure. I can take up Loveshura's list and review B33 after Dafna unless Loveshura appears soon.

I just finished Season 2 today and as much as I wanted to see Yasemin & Savas' wedding like most of you, I think they gave a decent closure to the series. The vision of the lovers living happily ever after is something that most of us want to see when a movie or a series ends with a wedding, right? I can't help but wonder if they had planned to end it this way from the beginning or if they had to cut the wedding out due to financial constraints (like most Turkish series). Personally, I would have added in the wedding as it would have beautifully contrasted the forced and loveless wedding of Kemal and Cicek with which the series started.

A few days ago, as I was curious about the casting of Savas' and Yasemin's mothers, I was surprised to learn that the actress, Tomris Incer, who played Shahnur, in real life was only 62 and that the actress who played Leyla was actually 3 years older than her. In the series, I felt the age gap appeared much larger. Shahnur said she had Mustafa late in her life, in her early forties (?), and I really had a hard time to see her as a 57-60 year old lady. She could have played Savas' grandmother and it would have been believable. What do you all think? On a sad note, I was so sorry to find out that Tomris Incer passed away at the age of 68 a few years after the show ended. I was worried that they would show her passing away and I'd become incredibly emotional but this coincidental find still had an interesting impact as I became more empathetic as I watched Shahnur's end of life journey, her remorse and her attempts to address her regrets... loving her sweetness and delicious smiles. RIP Tomris canim.

Thanks for reading.

iyi geceler

Efendi baci,
thanks for the commentary I do agree with you on both fronts.
It would have been nice to have the wedding indeed,
seeing the contrast in the first wedding and the final wedding; But also hearing about Tomris' demise
is sad indeed, she was a talent indeed.
I had seen her and Leyla in Binbir Gece, so I compare her different roles in both stories.

Dafna

On the Ice
Mehraba Ladies,

Ozur dilerim for the wait and going a bit lengthy.

Bölüm 32

A quick recap, highlighting some moments/scenes, and then discussion:
Savas gets arrested, because one of the Baldars’ trucks is caught transporting drugs. Sahnur, Pala, Nazan and her husband, the drivers and all other executives of the Baldar company are taken into police custody. After a quick questioning they all are released beside the two truckdrivers, Savas and Pala.
Back at Yasemine’s house: Yasemine and Lejla are stunned and frozen, by police coming at their door and arresting Savas. Yasemine carrying Omer in her hands, it seems like she will drop him any moment. Lejla starts her reciting and her hysteria. She keeps yelling and screaming at Yasemine, blaming her fate, her daughter’s fate for meeting and having a relationship with this man who is all the bad things. Yasemine is stunned and very confused, she is thinking in prospective and making connection between Savas’s arrest and the shooting at the Baldars’ house that Sahnur orchestrated. The scene of Pala with his gun on his hand is stuck in her mind. People keep calling Yasemine, but she is stunned, frozen.
Ahmet is threatened by Besir, he wants to get Orhan so he will not have witnesses.
Savas spends the night in jail. His son’s voice echoes him. He is desperate. The next morning, he gets questioned.
Back at the Baldars, Cicek feels she is in charge of the mansion, Sahnur is closed in her room desperately thinking maybe how to overcome this.
Yavuz is pushing for Sevgi and Yasemine to sign their working agreement/contract. Sevgi is so worried for the money. Poor Yasemine can’t find rest anywhere from anybody: Lejla, Sevgi. Sevgi comes and fills Yasemine’s head with her pretend worries. The only real worry she has is the money she will lose from this situation.
Savas get questioned by prosecutors. He is also confused and of course angry why and what is happening to him.
Yasemine is desperate to get in touch with Savas, but she can’t. Lejla is giving her a real hard time. She can’t resist her anymore. She can’t find rest anywhere, from anybody.
Hakan, the real friend, is working very hard to overcome the difficulties the company is suffering with the news about the drugs. Meanwhile, Valdemar the polish partner, has canceled the contract and has cut all his investments in Turkey.
Yavuz saw an opening (or created it) and is using it: he comes and goes at the Baldars like he is an honored guest or a close family friend. It is so irritating to watch him there, indoctrinating Mustafa, and Sahnur as well, pretending he is helping them. The night comes, nobody is sleeping, everybody is worried. The next morning, Pala is released and comes home very angry at Sahnur, convinced she did this. Savas get questioned by “Nobody”, that appears to be a federal drug enforcement special agent. They have a polite but tense conversation. Nobody wants Savas to cooperate with police to catch Besir, Van’s drug lord. At the end of this questioning/ conversation they don’t agree with each other. With all his talking and his effort, he couldn’t convince Savas to cooperate.
Yasemine goes to work pushed by Sevgi, who thinks is business as usual for her. Sevgi and Yasemine go to 5x5. Yasemine is in the worst shape ever: drunk and getting drunker and getting her mind filled at the same time with stupidity, anti-Savas sentiment. Sevgi is life coaching her, pretending she loves her and calls herself her sister, friend and partner!! And besides all these “coaching” and “advice” she leaves her drunk by herself in the bar. How could she?! When she is about to leave, poor, drunk and disoriented Yasemine thanks her for everything she does for her. Fortunately, Yasemine leaves and goes for some peace and quiet time on the back of the bar and gets company from Pelin. She doesn’t encounter Yavuz the evil that comes at the bar like a wild animal looking for his prey. Apparently Yasemine spends the night at Pelin’s house, while Savas spends it in jail.

Highlighted scenes:
-The whole arrest scene is very dramatic. It is a very thought out scene in every level. The police entering the home that way, so tactless, taking Savas on the ground in front of his family, and keeping him there as long as they searched for guns in the house, raises the tensions, and makes the scene very dramatic. The looks that Savas and Yasemine exchange while he is on the ground and the constant cry of the baby make the scene hard to watch.
-The police car with Savas in it, traveling from Yasi’s home to the police headquarters, with the constant sirens and police noise prepare you for the difficult scenes to come. It might be more than 30 minutes ride. They cross the bridge, so they go from one side of the city to the other.
-At the police headquarters scene, there is no dialogue at all. But, a lot is said through their looks, and mimics. There are intense moments between Savas, Sahnur and Pala. Then all the executives of Baldar company come in handcuffs, with mad faces and looking angry at Savas. He feels very bad, he feels responsible and ashamed for what is happening to all of them. At some point it looks like they are having a board meeting at the police headquarters. Later on, the Noyan couple come, so, to let say complete Savas’s misery.
- At 1:05:00 mark starts a segment showing the second night of Savas in jail. The segment has a new sound track. It is a version of Beethoven’s “Moonlight Sonata”. Apparently, no one can sleep tonight. Everybody is worried: Savas in jail, Yasemine with little Omer in her bedroom, Leyla is up also, Hakan working with other employees, Sevgi also working, Sahnur, Fidan, Cicek all are worried, except Yavuz the devil is celebrating drinking raki, and Mehmet is reading the news with pleasure.

Continues.....

Dafna

On the Ice
Bölüm 32 - Discussion

Not from their importance in the story:

FRIENDSHIP. In this episode we see friendships strengthened, weakened or dissolved at all.
Sevgi, this good friend of Yasemine, who helped her regain her power and position (maybe she wanted to help herself too), come back to work, succeed and later be her partner in her agency, fails to live to the name she calls herself: her sister, her friend, her partner. Makes you mad to see how she lies at Yasemine pretending to come at her house because she was worried for her and wanting to protect her from her mother?! You can’t watch how she pushes Yasemine at the meeting with Yavuz knowing she was in pain and pretending to be happy. At the bar scene toward the end of the episode, she clearly shows money is her true love. It might take a little bit of time for Yasemine to understand Sevgi completely.
Pelin, our sekere, the beautiful person she is in and out, shows to be the best friend of Yasemine. From this point on their friendship will be stronger and stronger.
Valdemar, really is that you? He quit all his business with Baldars.
Hakan, what a true friend he is. He is working nonstop to help Savas. He never complains or pretends. His is very smart, knows what he is doing, has a charming personality, and he is a humbled man. At this point he is the friend in Savas’s life that understands him very well and is not confused or in doubt a bit by the noise of police and media.
Esref, his loyal childhood friend and his bodyguard, no matter that, once blinded by Sahnur’s pressure betrayed Savas by spying on Yasemine (he didn’t know better), would never leave Savas. How beautiful and meaningful is the moment when he comes out of Baldars mansion keeping his fists as not to hit Yavuz inside playing theater with Baldar family?

MOTHER LEYLA: With some thinking, and a bit of research I have come to some conclusions, or resolution about Leyla.
First, Leyla lost her 21- year old daughter years ago. As a result of their daughter’s death, her husband developed cancer and later died. The years after these loses might have been hell for her. The most painful thing is that she was the one that took her daughter to have the abortion. It is unimaginable to see your child go, and beside that to feel responsible for her death. So, Leyla lives in pain from her past tragedies and because of that she lives in constant fear of losing her loved ones: Yasemine and Omer. She always concludes her talks with Yasemine: Did I tell you to hide Omer from this man, how about Omer was older they would have taken him to jail too, how about we lose Omer?
Second, Leyla is ashamed by this. Her other recurring sentences are about shame. She says: how are we going to go in public, how is Omer going to be able to go in public in the future? You have disgraced yourself by going out with this man. Eastern cultures, Turkish included, are predominantly shame cultures: starting with Morocco, going east and ending far east in Japan and China. While in Europe especially northwest Europe are predominantly guilt cultures.
In a guilt culture you know you are good or bad by what your conscience feels. In a shame culture you know you are good or bad by what your community says about you, by whether it honors you or excludes you. In a guilt culture people sometimes feel they do bad things; in a shame culture social exclusion makes people feel they are bad.

http://honorshame.com/understanding-guilt-shame-fear-cultures/

http://www.challies.com/articles/shame-fear-guilt/

So, Leyla’s concerns are fear of not losing her loved ones, and shame. This is how I can explain her behavior. With all these said, it’s not that I justify her screaming and yelling. At the end, her behavior didn’t help her daughter at all, in contrary left her more confused, in pain and vulnerable.

Tesekkur ederim!
Have a wonderful weekend All!

Dafna

On the Ice
Mehraba Ladies,

Bölüm 32New words and expressions, loan words and language observations.

mesele – problem
çabuk – quickly
burda – here
karar - decision
karar verdem – I decided
Kimsiniz? – who are you?
Biz rezil oldum – we were disgraced
Rezil – infamous
Bu gece – this night, tonight

I got tricked by listening to “Nobody” telling Savas about Besir’s different identities and learned how different countries and their citizens are called in Turkish:
Greece – Yunanistan, Greek – Yunan
Germany – Almania, German -Almanca
Russia – Rusya, Russian – Rusça
Albania – Arnavutluk, Albanian – Arnavut
Morocco – Fas, Moroccan – Fas
Algeria – Cezayir, Algeri – Cezayirli
South Africa - Güney Afrika, South African - Güney Afrikalı
China – Çin, Chinese – Çince

I also got tricked by the word “cep”, that appears always on their cell phone screens:
cep – pocket
cep telefon – cell phone and cepi for short
cepi kapalle – cell phone off (E32, 8:54 min in, the talk between Cicek and Yavuz)
cevaplar – reply

At the police station Bora called himself “reclamaçi”.
reklam – advertisement, reklamaçi – advertiser
So, when you add “çi” at the end of the word you call the person who does the job.
I answered another question of mine: the store on the left- hand side upon entering Yasi’s old apartment had the sign “Köfteçisi”, the place of the person who makes Köfte.
A small correction about the “şekere” word. Pelin says “şekerim” my sugar.
Loan words: bank, reklam.

Tessekur ederim!

Efendi

Spectator
Wonderful analysis Dafna. For me, that scene at the police headquarters tops it all. The looks exchanged between Savas and Shahnur is acting at its best. You can't get any better than this really. Was it in this forum that I read that Murat is one of the rare actors who speaks with his eyes? That is so true and perhaps the reason I'm so infatuated with him. I'm watching the Game of Silence right now and his performance is blowing me away.

Efendi

Spectator
Hi Denner, I found Murat first in Asi and I'm desperate to find the whole series with English translations. Are you watching it with English translations? If yes, can you please please please tell me where?

Meganda

Medalist
Mehraba Ladies,

Bölüm 32New words and expressions, loan words and language observations.

mesele – problem
çabuk – quickly
burda – here
karar - decision
karar verdem – I decided
Kimsiniz? – who are you?
Biz rezil oldum – we were disgraced
Rezil – infamous
Bu gece – this night, tonight

I got tricked by listening to “Nobody” telling Savas about Besir’s different identities and learned how different countries and their citizens are called in Turkish:
Greece – Yunanistan, Greek – Yunan
Germany – Almania, German -Almanca
Russia – Rusya, Russian – Rusça
Albania – Arnavutluk, Albanian – Arnavut
Morocco – Fas, Moroccan – Fas
Algeria – Cezayir, Algeri – Cezayirli
South Africa - Güney Afrika, South African - Güney Afrikalı
China – Çin, Chinese – Çince

I also got tricked by the word “cep”, that appears always on their cell phone screens:
cep – pocket
cep telefon – cell phone and cepi for short
cepi kapalle – cell phone off (E32, 8:54 min in, the talk between Cicek and Yavuz)
cevaplar – reply

At the police station Bora called himself “reclamaçi”.
reklam – advertisement, reklamaçi – advertiser
So, when you add “çi” at the end of the word you call the person who does the job.
I answered another question of mine: the store on the left- hand side upon entering Yasi’s old apartment had the sign “Köfteçisi”, the place of the person who makes Köfte.
A small correction about the “şekere” word. Pelin says “şekerim” my sugar.
Loan words: bank, reklam.

Tessekur ederim!

Dafna,

what you have given us is exceptional. I have had a busy week and this weekend will be going away to an air bnb in the mountains out here which my children organized. I'll let you know how it worked out. It's supposed to house 3 couples and several children.
So I'll make my comments when I get back next week.
My daughter works at a teaching hospital and she has hired someone who is here for the year from Turkey. My daughter told her of my love of LP and she has emailed me giving me a list of series she liked but I couldn't find any of them on Netflix. She did however offer to answer any questions I might have about Turkish. So what questions do we have on the Turkish language? I want to ask her how she pronounces r at the end of a word.

Dafna

On the Ice
Mehraba Megi baci,
Enjoy your weekend with your family! I hope you have a good time! Tell us when you come back.
I never been to an air bnb, I would love to hear your experience. Enjoy!!

Tessekur ederim, but Leyla’s mesele was bothering me for sometime. I wanted to be fair, and most of all understand her. Now, I think I do. I just wanted to scratch the surface and I didn’t go lengthy on my discussion because I know we will talk more about this . From this point of view I have answered many other questions I had about some of Sahnur, Nazan, Leyla and many others’ behaviors.

I am glad you found a Turkish lady that can answer our questions. Yes, I have language questions. I need some time to sort out and prioritize them, so not to misuse the opportunity.

Have a wonderful Weekend!

Tessekur ederim!

Scout12

On the Ice
Unfortunately there are just bits an pieces in English. Tell you how i watched it which shows how desperate i was. lol. I watched the episodes in spanish by using google translate. I used my lap top and really it wasn't so bad. I was able to understand each scene. That series is great! Murat was awesome. I see why he got the role in L&P. He really makes you believe that he loves his person of interest. His expressions with his eyes Oh My! Try the spanish and let me know. I contacted Sophia who did the translation of L&P to see if they had done Asi but she said no.

Hi Denner. So did you find Asi somewhere that had Spanish dubbed dialogue, or Spanish closed caption? I found 2 full episodes of it with English closed caption on YouTube, and then parts of episodes on YouTube and Daily Motion. Before the second season of Grand Hotel came to Netflix, I watched it with Spanish closed caption - I translated into English with Google translate. Not all scenes, just some – when I couldn’t figure out at all what was going on. I don’t speak Spanish, but I have some familiarity with it, and then there are English loan words. I found an English episode recap that helped me follow the plot. It took forever, but I was so curious - wanted to know the ending.

I just don’t think I can do that again with Asi, as much as I’d love to watch it in its entirety. There seems to be a Pride and Prejudice theme going on here between Asi and Demir. I see commonalities between LP and Asi too - cancer. Really great acting – I can see why Murat Yildirim got cast for LP. I’ve read that Asi was a really popular series in Turkey. Wish Netflix or someone would translate the whole series for us English speakers.

Scout12

On the Ice
Merhaba Meganda,

Thanks for reading.

iyi geceler

Hi Efendi

Ending the series with Yasemin and Savas’ wedding in Van. I hadn’t thought of it that way, but I agree – a joyful celebration contrasted to the tense and unhappy wedding of Kemal and Cicek. And it would have been like coming back full circle.

Tomris Incer. I saw an article about her illness. If I understand correctly – it’s Turkish, but I think there are loan words – I think it was colon cancer. I found a video online too, and I believe it was from a funeral service or wake.

I’m surprised the actress that played Leyla was older than Tomris. Genes. And - underneath her loose Sahnur dresses was a petite woman I guess. Leyla wasn’t heavy, but she carried a bit more weight I think. That helps fill out thinning skin as we age.

Can’t remember his name, but I remember reading about an actor who decided early in his career not to talk about his private life. A couple of reasons – he wanted privacy for himself and his family, but also so the audience didn’t struggle to imagine him in character in different films. So to your point – yea knowing that Tomris died of cancer, when I watch her as Sahnur talking to her Baldar family about her diagnosis, it’s that much more emotional.

Meganda

Medalist
I will be back either later today or tomorrow with my comments. I am only mesmorized the last 2 days by what is happening at our southern borders and the separation of asylum seekers from their children. I am horrified and sickened with those leading our country into such a state of horror. Sorry, I'll get back to LP tomorrow, I promise.

NazAli

On the Ice
I will be back either later today or tomorrow with my comments. I am only mesmorized the last 2 days by what is happening at our southern borders and the separation of asylum seekers from their children. I am horrified and sickened with those leading our country into such a state or horror. Sorry, I'll get back to LP tomorrow, I promise.

It's horrifying to say the least.
Ladies i've started a new assignment and it's getting harder to get time to come on here and share with y'all.
But i'm gonna make it on weekends.
Hope all is well with you.
Still need to read the new commentaries;
stay well and safe bye for now

:yahoo:

CokGuzel

Final Flight
I will be back either later today or tomorrow with my comments. I am only mesmorized the last 2 days by what is happening at our southern borders and the separation of asylum seekers from their children. I am horrified and sickened with those leading our country into such a state of horror. Sorry, I'll get back to LP tomorrow, I promise.

Disgusting, heartless and deplorable! In this day and age, It’s unbelievable that this administration is able to continue with it’s inhuman agenda. I hope this ends soon.