Music Ideas for All Skaters | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Music Ideas for All Skaters

Final Flight
for delobel and schoenfelder (thinking optimistic hear),
perhaps another movie sountrack?
atonement maybe?
they always pick the absolute best music. (frida, the untouchables, the piano)

For Yuna Kim,
Anything performed by Jacqueline du Pré...
yes!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
For Laura Lepisto:

Angels in America Soundtrack by Thomas Newman
It has a nice flow and she could pull off a serene short program to it.
I love that soundtrack - it would be great to see a program to it. I think, though, that it would actually suit Susanna Poykio better than Laura.

jyshin

On the Ice
Erich Wolfgang Korngold (1897 - 1957)
Violin Concerto in D major, Op.35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNSaqTdN9tU
(A Michelle Kwan tribute set to the first movement)

Korngold was best known for his sophisticated music written for Hollywood movies, which made him the two time winner of the Academy Awards for the best film score. His D major Violin Concerto was written in 1945, as he was about to retire from the movie industry. It contains the flavor of some of his movie score.

1 mov (Moderato nobile) incorporates a theme from Another Dawn (1937), Juarez (1939) for the second theme.

2 mov (Romanze) A solo clarinet introduces the principal theme quoted from Anthony Adverse (1936).

3 mov (Allegro assai vivace) is a very fast jig. The second theme is based on the main motif from The Prince and the Pauper (1937) and builds up to a virtuoso climax.

Last edited:

jyshin

On the Ice
Early type of Baroque concerto is called 'Concerto Grosso' where a group (or groups) of soloist, instead of one, plays with the recurring tutti. Vivaldi, the king of Baroque concerto, wrote numerous concerto grossos and J.S.Bach did quite a few as well, (i.e. Bradenburg Concertos).

It is a tightly knit music generated by the strong bond between the solo groups and the small size of the orchestra. Filled with sequences and repetitions, but never monotonous, it has variety of sound materials to ponder upon. What I find special in Vivaldi's music is the pumping energy and the passion absolutely genuine.

Still up to these days in Italy, one can hear Vivladi's Concerto Grosso walking down the street next to the conservatory. The following clip is a glimpse of what goes on inside.

Vivaldi: Concerto for Mandolins in C major
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9QQQ0CU3CE&feature=related

What way to wake up from the siesta!

Last edited:

Medusa

Record Breaker
I actually didn't want to make any more suggestions - because I loved my first list, but then I started to organise my sister's birthday and had to find lots of different music for it, voilà, a few new suggestions and some pieces I haven't thought of before as skating music.

Johnny Weir
Élegie Opus 24 by Gabriel Fauré for Cello and Piano, orchestrated version (also by Fauré) is here (the clip shows part of a ballet set to this music - I watched that ballet live last year in Paris, absolutely fantastic, and I don't even like contemporary dance)

I think that this one by Gabriel Fauré (again) would make a fantastic short program for Johnny, it's perhaps a bit fast but he did fast before (Rondo capriccioso...). It's called Papillon - and I am very much in love with this one right now.

I have a thing for Chamber music tonight - this is Nocturne, written by Lili Boulanger (*1893-1918) who was the younger sister of Nadia Boulanger and taught by Fauré, among others. Lovely piece of music, the melancholy character is ideal for Johnny (though I would prefer him to skate to something a bit more energetic for once, like the Papillon mentioned above - but this Nocturne would suit him nonetheless).

Yu-Na Kim
My first suggestion for one of the girls - Village Song by David Popper. I knew close to nothing about this composer before I started my research, but I love what I got to know so far.

Takahiko Kozuka
Popper again - Gnomentanz (Dance of the Gnomes). Popper was Bohemian, surprised me a litte, I thought that the name sounds rather English. Well, I love this piece and think it suits Kozuka's light quality and his youth.

Stéphane Lambiel

Unter Donner und Blitz by Johann Strauss Sohn. I desperately want to see Lambiel in a conservative suit and skate to this... And isn't Kleiber an amazingly fantastic conductor?

Daisuke Takahashi
This awesome piece by Pablo de Sarasate (I know, some critics say his compositions only exist because he wanted to show off his abilities - but I think that he was a decent and exciting composer!) - it's not Zigeunerweisen (his most played composition and the most skated to) but Introduction and Tarantella Op.43.

jyshin

On the Ice
^ Wow... what a lucky sister! Does she play any instrument?... maybe cello?
ha, ha, the reason why I bring up cello is because it reminds me of Evan Lysacek. He seems to do well with strong characters and your Faure reminded me of his intensity and somewhat rustic masculinity... not that Weir is a loose bump. See... I am just having a difficult time NOT thinking "Johnny = violin"

Among your suggestions, Erich Kleiber's Strauss is my favorite...
Kleiber does a phenomenal Beethoven's Pastorale... and I thought of Mao Asada :cool:
BTW, I hope she found her coach by now...

p.s. I noticed a mistake here. I meant Carlos Kleiber. :)... although both Erich and Carlos (father and son) did the Pastorale

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Thank you Medusa for your suggestions. I second jyshin. What a lucky sister!

I have not had a chance to listen to all of your suggestions, but would look forward to doing so. I just listened to Fauré pieces and loved both. Especially, I loved Élegie Opus 24. It’s bittersweet. I could picture Johnny skating to it. I might like the orchestra version better. I feel it's more dramatic. Tarasova might do a beautiful work with it.

Papillon was such a playful, lovely little piece. I actually thought of a bee:)

jyshin, I also would love to see Mao skating to Pastorale.

Yesterday, I was listening to red violin and the past conversation with you came up to my mind. Which violin pieces would you like Johnny to skate to other than red violin?

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
I would love to see a lot less overused music this year but I see some war horses are all ready on the radar for next season. Can more skaters find new music please?! :sheesh:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
http://youtube.com/watch?v=j1FtL4uIQ0c&feature=related
I like Sviridov - The Snowstorm - Troika more. I think it could be a good music for pair skating
It is - but didn't Totmianina and Marinin use it in their last season (2006)? If I were a pairs team, I'd be hesitant about skating to music used by Olympic champions only a few years ago. Alexei Yagudin has defnitely skated to it, though that was in 1998.