National Juniors (Japan) | Page 7 | Golden Skate

National Juniors (Japan)

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
The TV Asahi news report spent about 20 seconds talking about Miyu Honda (showing more of her routine than BS Fuji did), 10 seconds talking about Rika Kihira, and zero seconds talking about everyone else.

Ender

Match Penalty
The TV Asahi news report spent about 20 seconds talking about Miyu Honda (showing more of her routine than BS Fuji did), 10 seconds talking about Rika Kihira, and zero seconds talking about everyone else.
Ridiculous. Miyu Honda didn’t medal and she will not be sent to JWC. The media is getting so cheap.

Ender

Match Penalty
I liked that more than Kihira's routine. But she probably won't win.
Yamashita is overscored compared to Araki and Kihira in my opinion.
Araki got almost 65 in the SP and 120 in the Lp at International events but she got less than that here, she was underscored almost 8-9 points in total. I wonder why they gave her such low score. But with this result, she will be sent to JWC I guess?

malo42

On the Ice
All I can ever think is if Miyu were actually a top skater it would be ENDLESS, every thing would always be about her, even worse than it is with Marin. I would really love to see the full recording that aired on TV, I hope it pops up eventually.

Mikansei

Learning how to spin
On the Ice
Congrats to Rika for winning nationals! 2 effortless 3A, I really hope she will land them in the GPF (and please don't bomb the SP there).

Nana Araki has been a surprise for me this season, I love her jumps. Wonder why she was scored so low here, she didn't make any mistakes.
She needs to work on her facial expressions though, she was really focused and had the same expression throughout her program. I believe with time she will get better, love that she chooses a non warhorse music for her LP!

Plumededragon

Medalist
Ridiculous. Miyu Honda didn’t medal and she will not be sent to JWC. The media is getting so cheap.
I agree that the top junior skaters should have gotten attention, but Miyu is a star child actress, so she's very popular, even if she doesn't have the technical ability of the best junior yet.

Yamashita is overscored compared to Araki and Kihira in my opinion.
Araki got almost 65 in the SP and 120 in the Lp at International events but she got less than that here, she was underscored almost 8-9 points in total. I wonder why they gave her such low score. But with this result, she will be sent to JWC I guess?
Nana Araki has been a surprise for me this season, I love her jumps. Wonder why she was scored so low here, she didn't make any mistakes.
She needs to work on her facial expressions though, she was really focused and had the same expression throughout her program. I believe with time she will get better, love that she chooses a non warhorse music for her LP!
According to the protocol she got a wrong edge call on her 3F and underrottated the 2Lo in her 3Lz-2T-2Lo combo. But junior Japanese competitons are harsh in Japan (just like in S.Korea imo) so it's not very surprising that she got that score (she had low GOE in all elements, that was harsh :eek:hwell:)
But I wouldn't worry. Nana had good outing this season during JGP and she's 3rd in Junior Nationals. She definitely has a step in JWC for now.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan

Look at it this way: if Beyonce got into competitive figure skating, you can be sure that her routines would get a ton of press, not necessarily because she would be a great skater, but because she is newsworthy in ways that transcend skating.

More people in Japan know Miyu Honda than any other active figure skater, including Marin and Medvedeva.

blackey

On the Ice
I think most people here who aren't familiar with Japanese culture don't get how famous Miyu is. It's ok to feel mad about her media attention, but just FYI, she is not some random child star, I'd say she's like one of the kids in the Stranger things. And she has been at that popular level for years, she is THAT famous in Japan.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Mako's score got her second place in the ladies competition…and would have been enough for second place in the men's competition!

And Rika’s LP scored higher than the junior boy’s winner. Amazing when you consider the girls had one less jumping pass and PCS factored at 1.6 vs 2 for boys!