Olympic figure skater, coaches being investigated for allegations | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Olympic figure skater, coaches being investigated for allegations

beachmouse

On the Ice
As a Floridian, I feel the need to point of a typo in their press release- it's Wesley Chapel, Florida. There's no Sysley Chapel, Florida. (Have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express hotel next to the ice arena there a few times and never realized it was a training site for elite athletes.)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have not re-read the Safe Sport procedures, but this is what typically happens (again the caveat that I don’t know for sure)

SafeSport is a private nonprofit organization, but no one is compelled by any government direction to join SafeSport. SafeSport has set up procedures so that sporting governing bodies will agree to use them. Those procedures state that a party unhappy with a decision will have the opportunity to appeal to an independent arbitrator.

So it is not that USFS opposed going to arbitration; they probably under the terms of the contract with SafeSport agreed to the SafeSport procedures which included arbitration for any decision. Rather, they were arguing before the arbitrator to uphold the original ban and opposed any reduction.

This would all be a matter of contract between parties and not of any particular state jurisdiction. I hope this is clearer. :)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for the information, so little have been done about the dozens coaches reported all along the 2000s to US Gymnastics federation (apart from forbidding sites relating the complaints), but there is so little about it anywhere that I thought the Federation had managed to shut up everybody with the Nasser case and do absolutely nothing against other abusers.

There is a list of persons suspended/restricted by USA Gymnastics/Safesport. Just the two I listed had their bans lifted per Safesport.

https://usagym.org/pages/aboutus/pages/suspended_members.html

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is a list of persons suspended/restricted by USA Gymnastics/Safesport. Just the two I listed had their bans lifted per Safesport.

https://usagym.org/pages/aboutus/pages/suspended_members.html

Ugh, I don’t know how to edit posts on the app.

Anyway there is a not inconsiderable list of persons permanently banned from gymnastics. The first link was temporary bans/under investigation.

https://usagym.org/pages/aboutus/pages/permanently_ineligible_members.html

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
The French statement wants to have their cake and eat it too. They want to say they defended Cipres but also “if they turn out to be true”.

Tbh I get it, perhaps Morgan feels he has a strong case and has convinced them?

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker

Alegria

On the Ice
Country
Ukraine
All the more reason to demand a quick and proper conclusion to this case.

And to FFSG, 13 year old girls skating at the same rink obviously don't matter.

I think, the main point is that they have only article in USA Today and that is all. No more official information. I think it's obvious that is not enough for official organization.

Kittosuni

Medalist
I'm so disgusted will all the people involved in violating the 13 y.o victim but my blood is especially boiling for Zimmerman, Fontana and the French Fed

After it was made known to them about the disgusting incident, Zimmerman, Fontana & the French Fed have the POWER to make it right and do the right thing but chooses not to.

Totally lost respect to these disgusting human piece of shite.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I think, the main point is that they have only article in USA Today and that is all. No more official information. I think it's obvious that is not enough for official organization.

Well, we can only assume that Cipres sending his dick in pictures to 13 year olds is no big deal to both him and FFSG. When will they start playing 'I am a victim, pity me' game?

FFSG wisely avoided mentioning the exact nature of that 'inappropriate photo' in their announcement.

But it is mentioned on his Wiki: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_Ciprès

Are the show appearances with him still on, wonder if there will be any audience displeasure?

Alegria

On the Ice
Country
Ukraine
Well, we can only assume that Cipres sending his dick in pictures to 13 year olds is no big deal to both him and FFSG. When will they start playing 'I am a victim, pity me' part?

FFSG wisely avoided mentioning the exact nature of that 'inappropriate photo' in their announcement.

But it is mentioned on his Wiki: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_Ciprès
For example, as a person, after I read an article, I could say, that it's disgusting. But as official, I can't say this. I need official information.
An article is a signal, but not a proof.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
For example, as a person, after I read an article, I could say, that it's disgusting. But as official, I can't say this. I need official information.
An article is a signal, but not a proof.

We'll have to wait until SafeSport comes to a conclusion, other accusations/evidence/confessions come to light and what (legal) action is taken next.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I have not re-read the Safe Sport procedures, but this is what typically happens (again the caveat that I don’t know for sure)

SafeSport is a private nonprofit organization, but no one is compelled by any government direction to join SafeSport. SafeSport has set up procedures so that sporting governing bodies will agree to use them. Those procedures state that a party unhappy with a decision will have the opportunity to appeal to an independent arbitrator.

So it is not that USFS opposed going to arbitration; they probably under the terms of the contract with SafeSport agreed to the SafeSport procedures which included arbitration for any decision. Rather, they were arguing before the arbitrator to uphold the original ban and opposed any reduction.

This would all be a matter of contract between parties and not of any particular state jurisdiction. I hope this is clearer. :)

Yes, this is clearer. Thanks a lot.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
After it was made known to them about the disgusting incident, Zimmerman, Fontana & the French Fed have the POWER to make it right and do the right thing but chooses not to.

What is the French Federation supposed to do before an investigation is complete? Do you think that if a top skater like Nathan Chen were accused of doing something illegal overseas, the USFSA would pull him from competitions indefinitely? I mean, we sent Tonya Harding to Lillihammer.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
So after 3 years he could potentially go back to coaching? If so that is frightening.

As I read the story, it was an overturning? Or a reduction? This story gives this both ways....It is interesting that RC has denied any wrong doing.
"Callaghan has denied any misconduct and appealed the ban to an independent arbitrator."
All these stories we are reading leave more questions than answers.....What did the arbirator say? Were there backroom deals to avoid law suits? Even arbitration?
https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/16/us/richard-callaghan-lifetime-ban-overturned/index.html

The sad part for me is that at least part of these cases come up after the statute of limitations is up. The message to caring parents is to instill upon their children to be open and honest with THEM with ANY suspect behavior the kids are not confortable with. And that they wont be punished or judged by their parents for what happened. It seems we did not learn that after the priest mess....:noshake:

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
What is the French Federation supposed to do before an investigation is complete? Do you think that if a top skater like Nathan Chen were accused of doing something illegal overseas, the USFSA would pull him from competitions indefinitely? I mean, we sent Tonya Harding to Lillihammer.

The SafeSport process was not in force during the Tonya days. And USFSA did not want to send her to the Olympics; they had to do so due to a court decision.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The SafeSport process was not in force during the Tonya days. And USFSA did not want to send her to the Olympics; they had to do so due to a court decision.

Not exactly. The USFSA did not want to fight her in court over it so they didn't suspend her. From Wikipedia: "On February 5, 1994, the disciplinary panel of the U.S. Figure Skating Association stated reasonable grounds existed to believe Harding had violated the sport's code of ethics. Her admitted failure to report about an assault on a fellow competitor, supported by her FBI transcripts, had Harding formally charged with "[making] false statements about her knowledge". The panel also recommended that she face a disciplinary hearing. Claire Ferguson, president of the USFSA, decided not to suspend Harding's membership before a hearing took place. If Harding had been suspended, she likely still would have competed at Olympics after filing suit, seeking an injunction against USFSA, and asserting her Amateur Sports Act of 1978 rights."

I think SafeSport is the wrong venue to pursue allegations against a foreign athlete if the victim wants any action taken against them. Law enforcement needs to be involved, and it shouldn't be hard at all to charge two of those involved with something if the evidence is as slam dunk as Brennan makes it sound.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

She sued them for the right to compete there. They weren't just going to send her. IIRC.