Practice reports | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Practice reports

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Honestly, many years ago, I watched streamed practices (I guess i must have been SCI), and among all ladies the only one that did all the jumps in the program was very young Elizabet Tursibaeva. The practice was perfect, perfect 3Lz-3T combination, no fall, but during competition she fell on almost every jump. That was the only time I trusted practices. Alaine Chartrand was always very good during practices. There are skaters that perform better in competition, but most of them are better in practice.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Starr: 3T3T, back-counter 2A (ok, but not a lot of height), 3Lo (2ft, <)

Not a fan, but hope she does better here than at SA last week.

I'm not a fan, either. I don't see the appeal.

I can see USFSA giving her an opportunity last week at SA, but Skate Canada gave her a spot as well?

Based on what? Is ladies skating so depleted that Skate Canada could find no one else who might actually be deserving? I get the travel thing, but so many Europeans and others now live and train in North America.

I have no idea what the point of that invitation was.

moriel

Record Breaker

I can see USFSA giving her an opportunity last week at SA, but Skate Canada gave her a spot as well?

Based on what? Is ladies skating so depleted that Skate Canada could find no one else who might actually be deserving? I get the travel thing, but so many Europeans and others now live and train in North America.

the GP invitations are based on certain rules. She could be invited, so she was.
Aside from that, there are many possible things - for example, she was invited because she was no threat for the local skaters (many feds do such invites) or she was invited because of some exchange between canadian and american feds

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Here's my 1080p fancam of Roman Sadovsky's gorgeous SP afternoon practice :luv17: (I wasn't able to attend the morning practice where he performed his LP): https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6w5qjd

Oh, his skating is even more heavenly in person! :love: It was cold and windy today, and it takes me 2 hours and 15 minutes to commute to Laval (so I lose 4.5 hours travelling in one day), but seeing this live warmed by fandom heart and it made the long trip worthwhile! :party2: This is the only time in my life where I got to sit in the second row from the boards (and that was genuinely my seat as listed on my ticket) at a major skating competition, and WOW, the view is incredible! :popcorn: I'll sadly be in the nosebleed section for tomorrow's and Saturday's events, but it was a delightful experience to be so close to the rink and observe in great detail all the skaters.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here's my 1080p fancam of Roman Sadovsky's gorgeous SP afternoon practice :luv17: (I wasn't able to attend the morning practice where he performed his LP): https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6w5qjd

I'll sadly be in the nosebleed section for tomorrow's and Saturday's events, but it was a delightful experience to be so close to the rink and observe in great detail all the skaters.

This was a very beautiful, heartfelt performance from Roman! Don't worry about the nosebleed seats. My family's take on it is always "You were in the building." You still get to be a part of it and will feel the intensity of it. Have fun!

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
any video of Wakaba’s practice???

I did film her SP practice (although I'm missing a bit of the beginning because several fans were looking for their seats and they completely blocked my view :frown:); do you want me to upload it?

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Daria's jumps now remind me of Serafima's jumps, especially the hard landing. Her jumps used to be much smoother.

Based on the practice videos, I think Evgenia will probably do well. Her jumps look much better and it seems she also skates with deeper edges. Since she trains in Canada, she won't be affected by jet lag.

I hope Elizabet finally gets a top 3 finish at a GP event.

rikaquegira

On the Ice

thank you guys!!!!

Not a great skate at practice from Wakaba... [emoji24] I hope she can still skate well in the competition. I really like this program, although the first half feels a bit empty, like it doesn’t enhance the music as well. The stsq is great and that last spin matches the music perfectly!!!
Pray for Wakababy! [emoji120]

frida80

Record Breaker

Another reasons I hate the GP series. Explaining the complicated process of how substitutes spots are issued. Starr agog this spot because she was on the substitution list. She scored a 172 last year, therefore placing her in the list of people that could be chosen. Skate Canada has the right to pick anyone they want off the list no matter how well their doing for the year. Since they pay for expenses, they chose someone American, because it’s cheaper to transport and for Visa issues. Also, Skate Canada thinks she poses a lower threat than other skaters. This is why they didn’t chose someone from Europe or Asia. Furthermore they cannot chose anyone from Japan or Russia, because their spots or maxed out.

That’s the point of the invitation. Please stop with the deserving angle. That’s not how the Grand Prix is done. Substitutes are chose by what the host wants and nothing else. If your favorite skater didn’t get chosen, it’s not the skater that was chosen fault. Blame th host and the entire stupid GP Selection process.

katymay

Medalist
Out of fairness to them, when I bought a second bottle of water, they very nicely offered to put it in a cup (like they use for fountain drinks) and give me a lid and a straw. Of course, the reason I had to buy a 2nd bottle was that the 1st accidentally got kicked over and I lost half of it. Ha! Sorry to make a big deal out of it - it's so annoying. I guess rules are rules.

I would have found the same to be irritating. And I really don't understand not allowing you to have a lid, especially at a figure skating event.

frida80

Record Breaker
I will never understand the point of taking a bottle lid. I would be so petty to find out which kind of bottle they use in advance, buy the same bottle from Target, keep the lid and use it to seal my own water.

That'll show 'em.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Alaine Chartrand was always very good during practices. There are skaters that perform better in competition, but most of them are better in practice.

She wasn't rotating her jumps in practice at SA last week so I'd say it's a step forward if she is doing so now.

I fully agree with your point above though. Good practices, especially LP practices, are usually a good sign. All the ladies medalists from SA looked good in both their SP and LP practices last week, but so did Hendrickx and Tsurkskaya. You never know.

Shoma has never looked good in a practice when I have seen him compete, and he has always been good in the same competition. (Three competitions running now). I'm not quite sure what to think now that he has had a good practice. LOL. But Shoma, Lindfors, Pogorilaya, Patrick--I've seen them all look far better in competition than I anticipated based on practice.

Especially when it comes to big elements, you really have to pay attention to what the athletes are not trying. If they are going out and falling on something super hard that other athletes aren't even trying, then that's maybe one element that's above & beyond anyway. If they are skipping their pairs throw or a particular jump, you've gotta think that's probably the one that's likely to be an issue.

But then sometimes it's exactly the reverse. Nam was only struggling with his triple axel in practice last week prior to the SP. Naturally that was the only clean element he did in the short program? You never know.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Food alert -- my sandwich and empty water bottle were taken away when I came in. And they are doing my pet peeve -- keeping the water bottle cap when you buy a bottle.

Always have the camera ready. Mariah Bell just sat down in front of me.

Please cheer for my Grand daughter!!! She can be very hard to spot in the stands.... :rofl:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Speaking of jumps, not quite sure what was up with Daniel Samohin. Hope he's not injured -- 5 quad attempts and 5 falls. Jumps just weren't there at all (in general).

I can see why people are so frustrated with him. That kid's skating is really impressive! Such nice edges and good speed, but WHY OH WHY (using Marin hands) can't he land any of the jumps. He fell on his 4S right in front of me easily four or five times in a row.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Food alert -- my sandwich and empty water bottle were taken away when I came in. And they are doing my pet peeve -- keeping the water bottle cap when you buy a bottle.

Always have the camera ready. Mariah Bell just sat down in front of me.

(Trying to lower my blood pressure after reading about taking away empty water bottles...and keeping caps....) I learned something interesting at Everett. If they had not had the water fountains working, yes, you could buy a bottle of water for $4.50, but people said BY LAW if you asked for a cup of water they had to give it to you free. Dont know if that is a Washington state law or ? If someone denied me a cup of water so I could take my nitro glycerine pills and I died in the arena in the US, my wife would OWN that arena...:furious:
OK, going back to my happy place....
Take good care of my grand daughter....!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I will never understand the point of taking a bottle lid. I would be so petty to find out which kind of bottle they use in advance, buy the same bottle from Target, keep the lid and use it to seal my own water.

That'll show 'em.

There cant be that many different types of caps....I wonder if I should collect two or three....or just bring a collapsable water bottle and stow where they wont look....