Practice reports | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Practice reports

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I did film her SP practice (although I'm missing a bit of the beginning because several fans were looking for their seats and they completely blocked my view :frown:); do you want me to upload it?

Sad to say at SA there were few ushers and people would walk down DURING a performance......Is practice open seating?

frida80

Record Breaker
There cant be that many different types of caps....I wonder if I should collect two or three....or just bring a collapsable water bottle and stow where they wont look....

That's an idea! Fill it up at the water fountain and hide in your coat! Go for maximum pettiness!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The livestream comments are so nasty :disapp:. How on earth such a beautiful sport can attract such trolls?

I often wonder the same thing.....once I heard some very knowledeable fans who I consider good aquaintences I was sitting with saying that "Meryl Davis should sue her embalmer".
Does it make people feel good about themselves to bully someone they cant hold a candle to? I got nothin'

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I haven't followed skating for long, but has Romeo and Juliet always been popular? Why suddenly, this year, are their so many programs across juniors and seniors? It's bizarre. :scratch2: I'm not a fan, but I get La La Land a little more as at least it came out recently...

Me neither...maybe it is good safe music or a fluke. .I like LaLa land music even though I think the movie is depressing but it makes sense that people would use it now like Yuna used Les Mis, which seems to have run its course.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Well when Romeo & Juliet loses it's popularity, I'm sure it will have run its course in skating as well. Of course it's been a staple of popular culture since 1597 so I think I will not hold my breath.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
(Trying to lower my blood pressure after reading about taking away empty water bottles...and keeping caps....) I learned something interesting at Everett. If they had not had the water fountains working, yes, you could buy a bottle of water for $4.50, but people said BY LAW if you asked for a cup of water they had to give it to you free. Dont know if that is a Washington state law or ? If someone denied me a cup of water so I could take my nitro glycerine pills and I died in the arena in the US, my wife would OWN that arena...:furious:
!
I'll always remember asking at Boston Worlds where there was a water fountain. The guy looked at me like I was an alien. I said, "You know, that thing where you press the button and drinking water comes out?!" And then he told me he didn't know. :biggrin:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Another reasons I hate the GP series. Explaining the complicated process of how substitutes spots are issued. Starr agog this spot because she was on the substitution list. She scored a 172 last year, therefore placing her in the list of people that could be chosen. Skate Canada has the right to pick anyone they want off the list no matter how well their doing for the year. Since they pay for expenses, they chose someone American, because it’s cheaper to transport and for Visa issues. Also, Skate Canada thinks she poses a lower threat than other skaters. This is why they didn’t chose someone from Europe or Asia. Furthermore they cannot chose anyone from Japan or Russia, because their spots or maxed out.

That’s the point of the invitation. Please stop with the deserving angle. That’s not how the Grand Prix is done. Substitutes are chose by what the host wants and nothing else. If your favorite skater didn’t get chosen, it’s not the skater that was chosen fault. Blame th host and the entire stupid GP Selection process.

Thank you for your kind reply.

Of course I know that she was on the substitution list, and I know that Skate Canada could choose whom they wanted.

I also know about the travel expense issue, which is why I noted that there are European and other skaters living/training in North America.

For the record, I don't have a different skater in mind, certainly not a "favorite" that I wish had been chosen.

My comment was general. She's overhyped, relative to competitive performance.

Of course, she could skate lights out and change my mind. I hope she does.

treblemakerem

On the Ice
I'll always remember asking at Boston Worlds where there was a water fountain. The guy looked at me like I was an alien. I said, "You know, that thing where you press the button and drinking water comes out?!" And then he told me he didn't know. :biggrin:

Well in Boston I think they call it a bubbler so that might explain it. I lived in Boston for a couple years and they speak a whole different language there.

frida80

Record Breaker
Thank you for your kind reply.

Of course I know that she was on the substitution list, and I know that Skate Canada could choose whom they wanted.

I also know about the travel expense issue, which is why I noted that there are European and other skaters living/training in North America.

For the record, I don't have a different skater in mind, certainly not a "favorite" that I wish had been chosen.

My comment was general. She's overhyped, relative to competitive performance.

Of course, she could skate lights out and change my mind. I hope she does.

Then why make such a big fuss when you know exactly why she was picked. It clearly has nothing to do with her being hyped and simply being convenient. There were only about eight people left on the substitution list, four of them were living in the US. Angela got placed at the same time as Starr. Courtney and Eunsoo could be threats to the Canadians. That’s why they weren’t chosen. Once again, there is no conspiracy of her getting that spot. SC just chose the most convenient.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
(Trying to lower my blood pressure after reading about taking away empty water bottles...and keeping caps....) I learned something interesting at Everett. If they had not had the water fountains working, yes, you could buy a bottle of water for $4.50, but people said BY LAW if you asked for a cup of water they had to give it to you free. Dont know if that is a Washington state law or ? If someone denied me a cup of water so I could take my nitro glycerine pills and I died in the arena in the US, my wife would OWN that arena...:furious:
OK, going back to my happy place....
Take good care of my grand daughter....!

I LOVED this picture with Mariah!:love: It looks like You had a great time in Everett last week. The bottle caps thing...It was a surprise for me in Milan, as I was at figure skating event for the first time live - but thanks to Arriba627 :)ghug:) I was prepared and took with me about 5 different caps:laugh:

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I only have time to upload one more fancam from yesterday before I have to get ready for SCI; here's Evgenia Medvedeva's LP afternoon practice: https://vimeo.com/297281413

I got to meet her briefly, and she kindly allowed me to have her autograph! :luv17:

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There cant be that many different types of caps....I wonder if I should collect two or three....or just bring a collapsable water bottle and stow where they wont look....

I did that at Boston 2016 Worlds. Stuffed it in my giant coat pocket inside of my hat. They almost found it too, but thankfully missed it in the end. It was the day of the 8 hour long ladies short and I just couldn't go without water for that whole time.

Roo87

Medalist
Out of fairness to them, when I bought a second bottle of water, they very nicely offered to put it in a cup (like they use for fountain drinks) and give me a lid and a straw. Of course, the reason I had to buy a 2nd bottle was that the 1st accidentally got kicked over and I lost half of it. Ha! Sorry to make a big deal out of it - it's so annoying. I guess rules are rules.

Just bring a cap in your pocket/purse next time, it's not likely they'll see it during bag check.

vla13

Rinkside
I brought a non-disposible empty water bottle and they didn't say anything about it. They barely checked my bags.