Rippon: "I am America's sweetheart!" | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Rippon: "I am America's sweetheart!"

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Her tweets are ridiculous. Her foot was already permanently wedged into her mouth, and now I guess it's penetrating out of her skull. Boyang has achieved more than she ever has in his two years as a senior.

And yet she did. :)

A world silver too! :O I wonder what's wrong with the judging system?!

I'm assuming she would have said the same had Nathan been ahead of Boyang? No? OH!

I'd take strong technique over "artistry" with inflated PCS anyday.
Ashley was never known for her flexibility so I doubt she could get her foot in her mouth - just saying lol.

As for Adam, for exhibition skating he should skate to This is Me from the Greatest Showman movie. So Adam.

gimnas

Spectator
Ashley is brave in expressing her opinion...and though possibly less than gracious, she is right on target. She would make a terrific commentator. The judges should be taken to task for their bias on the artistic mark. But hey! the right 3 skaters medaled in the right order. While I am delighted for Boyang's success :clap: and wish that he had skated better, I would love to read how Boyang's FS program received barely similar artistic marks to Nathan's. :scratch2:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Indeed he is! He and Alexa are my spirit animals, but with better eyebrows.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thats a pretty unfortunate thing to read by Ashley about Boyang. I’m surprised she goes the internet click bait route on her social media.....oh well. In this sport they’ll be lots of people who welcome this type of thing :confused2:

I’m glad Adam made the most of his Olympic chance. He should be proud of himself! He pretty much set a goal and achieved it and had fun on the TV even though his interviews had me scratching my head :scratch:

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I think the NBC ratings show that, barring an engagement to some superstar Hollywood hunk, Adam will be largely forgotten by America within a month.

Barb

Record Breaker
Ashley´s tweets would not be so annoying if she was not so biased, but she does not dare to say a single negative comment about American skaters. As if the material of them had nothing to be criticized :rolleye:. I prefer Gracie, she is funny.

Proxy

On the Ice
Ashley´s tweets would not be so annoying if she was objective, but she does not dare to say a single negative comment about American skaters. As if the material of them had nothing to be criticized :rolleye:. I prefer Gracie, she is funny.

This is what bothers me with American commentators here in the U.S. too. It happens with Tara and Johnny and it happened before them with Scott and Sandra. I question how much autonomy the commentators have or whether they are instructed on talking points by USFS or US olympic committee or some other channels between those organizations and NBC. It really bothers me to hear the broadcasters bash skaters from other countries, say nothing but good things about Americans, and then agree with whatever the results are at the top of the competition no matter what.

Hmmm...it's almost like they have an agenda?

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is what bothers me with American commentators here in the U.S. too. It happens with Tara and Johnny and it happened before them with Scott and Sandra. I question how much autonomy the commentators have or whether they are instructed on talking points by USFS or US olympic committee or some other channels between those organizations and NBC. It really bothers me to hear the broadcasters bash skaters from other countries, say nothing but good things about Americans, and then agree with whatever the results are at the top of the competition no matter what.

Hmmm...it's almost like they have an agenda?

I’d say if anything they have to hold off on bashing the Americans the most. I think they got backlash for speaking a bit too honestly about them in the past. They were over the moon for the final flight besides Dima and were pretty respectful of him. But Yuzu, Javi, Boyang,Chan and Shoma got some serious love from them.

Proxy

On the Ice
I’d say if anything they have to hold off on bashing the Americans the most. I think they got backlash for speaking a bit too honestly about them in the past. They were over the moon for the final flight besides Dima and were pretty respectful of him. But Yuzu, Javi, Boyang,Chan and Shoma got some serious love from them.

I would just prefer them to be consistent and honest. If they want to be strict but fair with their commentary, do it for all skaters. If they want to write lover letters for everyone good or bad, do it for all skaters. If they agree with the result or disagree with the result, explain why. Sincerity goes ten-thousand miles in broadcasting.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would just prefer them to be consistent and honest. If they want to be strict but fair with their commentary, do it for all skaters. If they want to write lover letters for everyone good or bad, do it for all skaters. If they agree with the result or disagree with the result, explain why. Sincerity goes ten-thousand miles in broadcasting.

They may not like them all though. Heck they may even like someone but still feel compelled to point out something negative so the casual view knows why their scores are lower. I don’t always agree with them and yes they can even annoy me like everyone else in the world but I don’t ignore all of the positive attributes they have too because of it.

Lots of my non skating fans who have never been on ice and have no understanding about the complexity involved in the choreography and jump entries and stuff like that have told me how much they’ve enjoyed and learned from them. They are not only for hardcore Figure Skating fans but a represemtive of our sport to the rest of the world. I think they do a fine job of that. Some drama, some sass, some gushing, some bias, some sympathy. It’s what we all do here everyday.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
I have no problem with Tara and Johnny. I much prefer them over Scot and Sandra. The most biased to me were Peggy Fleming and Dick Button. You always knew who their favorites were.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I really like Adam- I think underneath everything he is very genuine. He really enjoyed the Olympic experience and made the most of it. I am also so happy to see him so openly embraced for being who he is.

If you don't like it don't listen.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Thats a pretty unfortunate thing to read by Ashley about Boyang. I’m surprised she goes the internet click bait route on her social media.....oh well. In this sport they’ll be lots of people who welcome this type of thing :confused2:

Is it really surprising? Don't you remember the whole "sonograms" kerfuffle? Yeah, she has never had a problem belittling skaters from other countries and this attention seeking behavior is nothing new. I'm always confused when I see people say they think Ashley & Adam would be so much better than Johnny & Tara...they are all cut from the same narcissistic cloth. I do generally like Adam, I just think he's bought into his own hype a bit too much recently and I won't be sad when their 15 minutes are up.

Icey

Record Breaker
I think the NBC ratings show that, barring an engagement to some superstar Hollywood hunk, Adam will be largely forgotten by America within a month.

Yes, a big silence is coming which Adam will have to deal with. I read (only the headline) that Sally Field was trying to fix her son up with Adam.

This is the fate of every Olympic athlete. How many people give a rat's behind about even a gigantic achiever like Michael Phelps from one quadrennium to another?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is the fate of every Olympic athlete. How many people give a rat's behind about even a gigantic achiever like Michael Phelps from one quadrennium to another?

Um...me. But I am a swimmer so I watch a lot of swimming.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

I am facinated by his kid Boomer!!!!