Rippon: "I am America's sweetheart!" | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Rippon: "I am America's sweetheart!"

vavavoom

Rinkside
Ashley is a pathetic, fake clown with her comments.

As a gay man, I have never felt an ounce of genuine vibe from her over the years. I think she has been using our cause to get traction in show business and to attract attention on her. She is the type of a person that would have embraced the conservative cause, had it been convenient for her.

What she said about Boyang and many other things is nasty and unacceptable, and so was what she claimed was an injustice based on judging in the last US championships.

She was lucky Gracie flopped at Worlds 2016. Everyone is aware Pogorilaya should have been easily 2nd, but the US was due... she should have finished 5th at the very best, had the judging been fair.

She does not have a wit of Tara and Johnny to do comments in the future. Ashley, leave us alone, you are the weakest link. Goodbye.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States

As a gay man, I have never felt an ounce of genuine vibe from her over the years. I think she has been using our cause to get traction in show business and to attract attention on her. She is the type of a person that would have embraced the conservative cause, had it been convenient for her.

What she said about Boyang and many other things is nasty and unacceptable, and so was what she claimed was an injustice based on judging in the last US championships.

She was lucky Gracie flopped at Worlds 2016. Everyone is aware Pogorilaya should have been easily 2nd, but the US was due... she should have finished 5th at the very best, had the judging been fair.

She does not have a wit of Tara and Johnny to do comments in the future. Ashley, leave us alone, you are the weakest link. Goodbye.

I am a gay man who does not agree with you at all on all counts. Is Ashley perfect? Nope not by a long shot but she IS a friend to the LGBT community and has demonstrated that enough to satisfy me and the co-hosts of GAY USA whose opinions I respect. And no, everyone is not aware the Pogo could easily have been second because it is not true. And I say that as a Pogo fan.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I really like Adam's skating, even if I don't much care for the personality he's been projecting of late. I never feel nervous watching him skate, his programs are different from each other, and he has charisma. Congrats on his top 10 finish, and on getting a contract with NBC! A pity our TV didn't show his skate. He gives a good example to other skaters of how to just enjoy the Olympics if you've got the right personality and mindset. Now, I hope his commentary is fair towards everyone (yes, thinking of Ashley singling poor Boyang out here).

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley is the last person who should comment about doing crossovers.

She kept saying how Boyang shouldn't medal because he keeps doing crossovers and jumps.

I mean no disrespect to you, but that's something of a misrepresentation of Ashley's comments. She made ONE comment about fewer transitions and more crossovers in Boyang's program. But this was after there had been other mentions of crossovers, both positive and neutral.

One of her earlier comments was about Patrick Chan. Ashley said,

Honestly I can watch Patrick just do crossovers and I'd be happy. https://twitter.com/AshWagner2010/status/964720470640635905

Someone asked her what crossovers are, so she gave a short description.

And that's not to mention her own skating, which people are pointing out to her, and she's replying with "Guess what, I already went to the Olympics."

To be more accurate, someone tweeted "under-rotators don't go to the Olympics." (in a way that sounded to me like throwing shade, while in my opinion, Ashley's comment about Boyang was not.) Ashley's response was "Guess what, I already did."

Honestly, part of me wishes she wouldn't respond when people make hateful comments to her when she has only offered an honest opinion. But ... someone else tweeted that wish to her. Ashley's answer was this:

I answer because people need to see that words absolutely hurt, but only if you let them. https://twitter.com/AshWagner2010?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

I have to agree with her. And also, she's being her authentic self. I'm not going to quarrel with that. This is what Adam said about how what Ashley said to him a few years ago "completely changed my world." https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ent-remainder-2018-winter-olympics/349145002/

One of her earlier comments was about Patrick Chan. Ashley said,

To be more accurate, someone tweeted "under-rotators don't go to the Olympics." (in a way that sounded to me like throwing shade, while in my opinion, Ashley's comment about Boyang was not.) Ashley's response was "Guess what, I already did."

https://twitter.com/AshWagner2010/status/964719233320992768
https://twitter.com/AshWagner2010/status/964717890799726592
https://twitter.com/AshWagner2010/status/964717890799726592
https://twitter.com/AshWagner2010/status/964726535910342656
https://twitter.com/AshWagner2010/status/964369428950364161

All about Boyang, or in reference to Boyang. Maybe you can argue there's no direct reference, but to me it was obvious from her constant stream of comments what she meant. That, and how she's responding to fans now.

Even this is subtle shade given how she was tweeting about other people (notably Nathan and Vincent in the free): https://twitter.com/AshWagner2010/status/964369556079763456

And yes, the "I already went to Olympics" was in reference to her under-rotation -- a flaw in her technique. It is hypocritical to me that she says that when going to the Olympics is exactly what Boyang has done. Maybe she should think twice before posting such things? Or is it fine to defend her (extremely incorrect, and even damaging) opinions, when the target doesn't have a pathway to do so (Boyang doesn't have twitter, as far as I know)?

Ashley is the first to speak out against "trolls" or whatever when they "attack" her, so it is hypocritical that she feels the need to spread her own exaggerations and misinformation.

I answer because people need to see that words absolutely hurt, but only if you let them.

And yet she will do all it takes to makes foolish comments about one person's program. This just reads to me as her victimizing herself.

EDIT: You removed a part of your post talking about the game of telephone. I crafted a part of my reply around that. I'm sorry if this reads as too aggressive, but I am not sure what to remove here to fit my response.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Fair point. Five tweets is too much.

But I'll bow out of the conversation now. I read Ashley quite differently than you do, and you're entirely entitled to your views.

Here's an example of where she both acknowledges what other people have said and pokes fun at herself.

"And chill all I ever did was crossovers too"

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
EDIT: You removed a part of your post saying talking about the game of telephone. I crafted a part of my reply around that. I'm sorry if this reads as too aggressive, but I am not sure what to remove here to fit my response.

Yeah, I thought better of that part and took it out. I sometimes sound preachy when I don't really mean it that way. So I really should reflect longer before I post.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don’t want to belabor the point, but I feel like I’ve made clear why it rubbed me the wrong way and I hope Ashley is mindful why people saw it as disrespectful. I know she tried to clarified it but again, if the tables were turned, I think she would be hurt by it.

Last edited:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not to belabor the point myself, but I felt the discussion (and other people's responses) represented yet another example of conversations reeling out of context after being slightly misunderstood. Typical of tweet interactions. In the future I'll try to leave it to the admins. :)

I thought it might be useful to point out how the crossover topic also covered crossovers that she loves.

Bcash

Final Flight
He's way over the top with these off-ice antics. Did you see him milking the crowd after his long? You'd think he just landed 7 quads or something.

Amei

Record Breaker
He's way over the top with these off-ice antics. Did you see him milking the crowd after his long? You'd think he just landed 7 quads or something.

Well going back to the ladies US nationals his training partner did the same thing...maybe that's part of Raf's training for his skaters :laugh2:

musicfan80

Medalist

^ Strike while the iron is hot!

Agreed - But I think it will be interesting how Adam will affect NBC's ratings. You know they will be watching and analyzing that like a hawk. That's the main thing they care about - high ratings = high $$$ to in advertising dollars.

About Ashley - I have always felt that Ashley's support of the LGBT community was genuine - but I will admit that I've been generally irritated with her persona for two years now. Basically way too much narcissism and "hot air".

I think it will be very interesting telling what her sponsorship situation is after her current contracts end (I'm assuming after this season). The biggest thing to remember about endorsements/sponsorships if that they typically only continue if the company is getting a good enough return for their brand AND they see that continuing in the future - and I think Ashley's value dropped significantly when she didn't make the Olympic team.

RobinA

On the Ice
Adam has had a fantastic Olympics. I do wish he'd check his impulse to say everything that comes into his head the second it comes into his head. He needs to tone it down a bit.

lappo

Final Flight
Agreed - But I think it will be interesting how Adam will affect NBC's ratings. You know they will be watching and analyzing that like a hawk. That's the main thing they care about - high ratings = high $$$ to in advertising dollars.

About Ashley - I have always felt that Ashley's support of the LGBT community was genuine - but I will admit that I've been generally irritated with her persona for two years now. Basically way too much narcissism and "hot air".

I think it will be very interesting telling what her sponsorship situation is after her current contracts end (I'm assuming after this season). The biggest thing to remember about endorsements/sponsorships if that they typically only continue if the company is getting a good enough return for their brand AND they see that continuing in the future - and I think Ashley's value dropped significantly when she didn't make the Olympic team.

This. I know it's a limit of mine but I can't warm to her skating because of her personality (same with Rippon).

Tigerlily87

On the Ice
Adam has had a fantastic Olympics. I do wish he'd check his impulse to say everything that comes into his head the second it comes into his head. He needs to tone it down a bit.

I don’t understand this. It’s like telling Nathan Chen to be a bit more outgoing