Russian Junior Test Skates, 10-19 August 2020, Novogorsk | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Russian Junior Test Skates, 10-19 August 2020, Novogorsk

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
a man costume that looks like...a costume :biggrin: we all know how rare that is in pairs skating. kudos

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
6. Alina Raskovalova - Artem Butaev, skating to Let me entertain you by Debbie Gibson, coached by Pavel Sliusarenko

LadyB

Record Breaker
My picks today are
Kuzmina/Khvalko
Akhantieva/Kolesov
Artemieva/Nazarychev

I'm just warming up! That was too short!

See ya tomorrow, guys!

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Akhantieva/Kolesov + Cirque du soleil = :thumbsup:

These two were my favorites. Nice use of the music.

I thoroughly enjoyed this—Russian pairs at all levels are such a delight. I was unsettled to see people bunched up together at the boards, though, as well as post-skate hugs/embraces with the coaches. I am hoping that Covid is under control in this part of Russia.

hanca

Record Breaker
Akhanteva/Kolesov are the most polished pair from those who attended. On one side they could be called ‘the best’, but to be fair, considering how long they have been together, it would be surprising if they didn’t look polished. So even though here they look the best, pairs like Boikova/Kozlovski, Mishina/Galliamov, Pavliuschenko/Khodykin, Pepeleva/Pleshkov and Panfilova/Rylov have been together much shorter time and just overtook Akhanteva/Kolesov. That’s why all the other pairs I named are already in seniors and Akhanteva/Kolesov are still in juniors. Nevertheless, they do have the chance to be the best junior pair - if they manage to stay together. In the offseason there were some gossips that they split up. It seems it wasn’t just a gossip, they did struggle but somehow they managed to get back together. Will this last when they experience the stress of competition? We will see. If they stay together, they may be good enough to move to seniors next season. If they stay together and manage to work together productively...

Raskovalova/Butaev - they looked very good! Their size difference gives them an advantage. I wouldn’t be surprised if they became one of the top junior pairs this year. Although of course it will depend on whether they can be consistent.

Artemeva/Nazarychev looked fine, their elements look pretty good, but I wish they got a bit more polish. They are definitely one of the top teams here, but there was a tiny bit of something missing. Something that Panfilova/Rylov had the whole last season, and Akhanteva/Kolesov have now. I am not talking about the elements now, but something that people see when they see a pair skate.

Petushkova/Malikov - I have a bit of a weak spot for her, since one competition last season when he dropped her from a lift. I liked them. For me they looked better than Belova/Chigiriev and Kuzmina/Khvalko, but not quite as good as Akhanteva/Kolesov.

Kuzmina/Khvalko did not leave a very strong impression. She grew a bit, and he doesn’t seem to be quite ready. Not sure if it is because he is not a strong skater, or if because of the C-19 he didn’t have enough time to prepare. Nevertheless, for me they have always been nothing special, the weakest junior pair from the Velikovs (after Kostiukovich/Ialin and Akhanteva/Kolesov). They don’t seem to have anything to stand out, all their elements are just done, but not done particularly well. I can’t see that they have any great future together, but if they enjoy it, why not.

Belova/Chigiriev - seem to me one of the weakest pairs here. While they did all the elements, they seem to have no wow factor on any of the elements. They just do it but it is not enough. A pair doesn’t need to just do it, they need to do it well. If it was marked, Belova/Chigiriev would get zero or negative GOE on every element, and even with a clean program, it would not be enough to have a decent results. However, they have been like this for a while. I am wondering whether Dmitriev knows what he is doing, as a coach. And whatever he is doing, it is clearly not working. That’s a pity. I am wondering what this pair would achieve with Velikovs, or with Moskvina, or in Perm, or with Pavlova (as abusive as Pavlova can be, she had resuts).

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
My only complaint, it was too short! I can watch pair skating all day, but there are always less entries.

I really hope Petushkova-Malikov will get that last bit they still need before the competitions start, because she is one tough gal :luv17:

Also, I loved Artemeva-Nazarevich, Akhanteva-Kolesov and Rakovalova-Butayev skate :love:

Really, really missed Mukhomedintzeva-Mironov

I can’t wait to see the seniors, with Panfilova-Rylov and B/K (and good luck to them)!