Seasonal Superlatives | Golden Skate

Seasonal Superlatives

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
So, as the season mostly draws to a close, let's make a thread discussing our favorites of 2014-2015! Skaters, programs, costumes, ect.... we need some optimism. My thoughts later.... :slink:

Weathergal

Medalist
So many things to choose from...for now, I'll stay with the Worlds theme.

Bright spots from Worlds:
Misha Ge doing so well! I've always loved his passion and joy in performing. For him to end up 6th after his previous best finish in Worlds being 16th, being 17th at the Olympics, and 8th at this year's 4CC, is amazing. I'm so happy for him!

Duhamel/Radford winning pairs. I don't find them the most elegant pair, but I have always admired their drive and athleticism. They're pushing their sport and will "leave it better than they found it," and there's something to be said for that.

Jason Brown finishing 4th at his first Worlds--without a quad no less. If he can add that pesky quad and keep that 3A working, he can certainly be a podium threat. Although his performance wasn't perfect, there was definitely a maturity from him in it that I haven't seen before. He skated beautifully. (Even the costume change to the darker one was a thumbs up for me!)

Pang/Tong making a bronze-winning comeback at their home Worlds. With Tong's knee issues, their past few years were a bit of a struggle, and their recent Olympics, while respectable, probably wasn't what they had hoped. I thought this was the best they looked in a while. If this really is good-bye to the amateur ranks, they certainly said it with style.

Elizaveta's win and successful 3A! I've watched her Worlds SP several times (OK, a lot) already, and it doesn't get old! She capped off an amazing season with a gutsy move, pushing herself and her sport.

Papadakis/Cizeron's ice dance win. In just their second year as Seniors with a previous 13th place finish at Worlds, they captured the gold medal with a stunningly beautiful program.

Javi delivering a clean "Black Betty" short program and ultimately winning the gold. What can I say, the little thing he does with his arms dancing just does me in! :eek:: So thrilled for him to realize his amazing potential! Also what a great boost for Spain's growing interest in figure skating!

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
Best dressed: Gracie Gold's LP dress at Worlds :love:

Honorary mention goes to Josh Farris and Jeremy Ten for their almost matching LP costumes. ;)

Biggest comeback: Liza's entire season

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Most improved since last season: Liza!!! And Misha Ge for the men.
Best reaction to winning: Javier's goat-bleat
Most flattering costume: Sergei's FS costume / Javier's Black Betty
Best coach: 3-way tie between Papa Mishin, Brian Orser and Eteri
Favorite podium: the men at the GP Final (but the men's Worlds podium is pretty great, too)

I'll think of more later...

Last edited:

peg

Medalist
Best surprise: Nam coming 5th at Worlds

Best comeback/best skater over the course of the entire season: Liza

Best program: Alena Leonova's Chaplin program

dress

On the Ice
Best comeback: LIZA and Ashley Wagner
Improvements: Misha Ge, Piper Gilles,
Badass of the season: Liza doing the 3 axel at the worlds

peg

Medalist
Farewell of the season:Anna Pogorilaya lol she is NEVER going back to world's

I'm sure last year most people thought Liza would never get back to Worlds either. I'll admit that the competition in Russia is super stiff, but we don't know how some of the younger skaters will fare once they hit puberty.

Amei

Record Breaker
Best warhorse: Kanako Murakami POTO
Best Comeback - Liza
Best FS: Karen Chen US nationals
Best SP: Yulia Lipnitskaia Cup of China

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
Best dressed: d10
Best hair: Anna pogorilaya
Most overscored: Liza (PCs were outrageous)
Most underscored': can't really say
Most likely to do the quad: Liza or Sotnikova
Most likely to fail if there arms were chopped off: zheniya
Most revealing costume: max aaron or yuzu
Most likely to pass for a fake Id: anna pogorilaya
Most likely to makeout while skating: I/Z
Fastest : Liza?? I'm not so sure
Slowest: Nam Nguyen
Hottest: Liza, Anna and idk I like javi and florent
Creepiest: kovtun
Most makeup: Ashley
Biggest surprise: Elena not getting second, yuzu not winning
Cliqueiest skaters: tutberidze camp
Most in need of costume makeover: Elena Radionova
Most original: Liza or Denis
Least origi NAL: everyone who used POTO
richest: whoever made POTO
most likely to take over skating: Liza, no doubt
Cutest: Elena :)
Most annoying: Tara lipinski
Most absent: alexandra proklova, anyone know what happened to her?
Most gangster: han yan
Most petty: stolbova
Most likely to win hunger games: stolbova

andromache

Record Breaker
Best exhibition: Shibsibs!

Most likely to succeed next season (by this category I mean skaters who we'll see really make an impact next season in seniors, because obviously skaters like Yuzuru and Liza will likely be successful next season :p): Shoma Uno, Nam Nguyen

Heartthrob of the year: Josh Farris

burntBREAD

Medalist
This season, I really enjoyed quite a lot of programs, but especially:
Papadakis/Cizeron's long
Miyahara's long
Kavaguti/Smirnov's long
Sui/Han's short
Peng/Zhang's short (so subtle but effective)
Farris' short
Hanyu's short

Honestly though, there were actually quite a good number of solid programs this season and I enjoyed many of them. Not going to miss the Paso but I guess it's the same feeling at the end of every season when it comes to the short dances, :laugh:

And I might be the only big fan of Denney/Frazier in this entire forum but I loved their long (and only became a big fan because of this program).

skateluvr

Record Breaker
What you will remember 2015 season

The season is over but I wonder what things will stay with you? For me there are several. Javier's two clean skates and his incredible sp was genius. Also seeing ashley skate her heart out at GPF and medal again. And her regaining her nationals crown against gracie.

What were pictures you will likely recall?

Last edited: