Seguin / Bilodeau Split | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Seguin / Bilodeau Split

andromache

Record Breaker
Does Mervin Tran still plan on competing? That's an option for Julianne, potentially.

There aren't many options out there that I can really think of - I think both of them will have to "settle" for partners who are not yet at their level (e.g., like Kirsten and Dylan did).

Though given her concussion history, it would also make sense for Julianne to retire.

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Mervin is apparently skating with an american girl. I think Julianne will have more options than Charlie - Maxime Deschamps and Francis Boudreau-Audet come to mind. Maybe even Martin Bidar if she is willing to switch countries.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I am happy the reason is not health. I was a bit of surprise it was Charlie's decision. I guess it's more difficult for Julianne to find a partner than for Charlie, but you never know as a good match is always difficult to find. I wish good luck to both of them.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am listening to him in French... I can understand his point of view... he felt that despite all the changes, they were not improving at all... in some ways, I can see how they have not been able to grow much after the initial successes... of course, there were injuries.

He said : this is what I felt was best for the future... He calls in for a partner... he said : if chemistry isn't there (talking about a new partner) she could be the best in the world, it won't work out...

he said it's risky as it could end his career.. but he is willing to take the risk for the future.

I understand what he is saying ... they couldn't push each other...

He celebrates what they have had ... but he had to move forward...

oly2018

Final Flight
On one hand, I understand his frustration, but to blindside her is wrong. They have both had injuries over the years, but his interview makes it seem like he blames her. I feel like something must have happened between them because to spend so much money on new choreography and then to just split makes very little sense. We are four years out from the next Olympics, he could have easily continued with her this season to see how it panned out. I don't know both sides of the story, but if he didn't even mention to her that he was considering a split, that's just wrong.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
On one hand, I understand his frustration, but to blindside her is wrong. They have both had injuries over the years, but his interview makes it seem like he blames her. I feel like something must have happened between them because to spend so much money on new choreography and then to just split makes very little sense. We are four years out from the next Olympics, he could have easily continued with her this season to see how it panned out. I don't know both sides of the story, but if he didn't even mention to her that he was considering a split, that's just wrong.

he said that he wasn't able to lift them up when they felt down and vice versa.. that before one of them would bring the other up... i am not so sure he is blaming he in this situation... sometimes in a relationship that is stagnating, one decides to leave for the best of both individuals, though it's very painful...

i felt it more like that but, it's just my feeling...

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Thank you for the written interview. I have problems understanding Canadian French, but written French is OK. I am glad both skaters want to go to the next Olympics. Charlie was glad to have Savchenco/Massot experience as an example. I with them the same success as the German couple!

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada
he said that he wasn't able to lift them up when they felt down and vice versa.. that before one of them would bring the other up... i am not so sure he is blaming he in this situation... sometimes in a relationship that is stagnating, one decides to leave for the best of both individuals, though it's very painful...

i felt it more like that but, it's just my feeling...

Exactly, he is not blaming her. He said they both were not giving each other what they needed to move forward. I think they just had different views on what they needed to do to improve. Maybe Julianne was cautious to try new things because of her concussion history. I guess it's better to end it now than to end up resenting each other when things go bad.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
We don't really know what happened. At least Julianne said she was surprised of his decision after the choreography was done, and they were waiting for costumes, and that she needs some time to digest what had happened. She said something that is is like loosing a friend. Of course both praised the time spend together.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Another option, could Julianne perhaps return to singles? I recall her skating both singles and pairs at the beginning of the last quad.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
As others have said: Off-season, enough already! :( Obviously, this is far less tragic than the news about Denis, but it was also really shocking to me. They always seemed to get along so well, and I thought that they had the potential to be Canada's #1 team, as well as World-level contenders. They had 'it' - a great connection and spark on ice, and I always enjoyed their interesting musical choices. I am glad to hear that they are parting on friendly terms and that they are both healthy. Best wishes to them both!

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
This is so stupid! Why Why Why would they split? :gaah:

I liked their chemistry so much, it's sad that Charlie decided to split

Lota

Record Breaker
Man, yesterday was a bad day on multiple levels, was so caught up with Denis Ten that I didn't even see this til today. While obviously incomparable to the D10 tragedy, this is still sad and bad news for me, as I really liked this pair :cry: In general, there are so many pairs splits this decade, it's insane :eek: While it's not unusual to see partnerships end and there were plenty splits in the previous decades, the couples seem to be splitting with increasing frequency (therefore, T/M, please don't split on me, all my other faves are splitting, stay strooooong~).

Anyhow, S/B seemed like a really loving partnership to me, and it never even crossed my mind that they could split up, so this is shocking to say the least. And, while both are entitled to make such a decision, it does leave a slightly sour taste in the mouth that she was slightly blindsighted by his choice. If they had to split, I wish it could've been a more unanimous decision, but life doesn't really work that way, does it.

slider11

Medalist
I believe they had a personal relationship off the ice. If that is true and something happened there, it may have contributed to the professional split.

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I believe they had a personal relationship off the ice. If that is true and something happened there, it may have contributed to the professional split.

No, they were not a couple off the ice, he says so in the first interview I posted. And Julianne is dating Mathieu Ostiguy.