Seguin / Bilodeau Split | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Seguin / Bilodeau Split

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
I feel as sad as I was about the IK split :sad21:

rain

Record Breaker
This totally shocked me. I had no hint from their performances that they were unhappy. They had so much potential and did so well together, and it's so tough to find pairs partners. I really like them both and can only hope they can both find partners to continue. I thought they would be Canada's #1 going forward. Surprised doesn't begin to cover it. I'm sad I won't get to see them skate together again. It felt like they were only starting to see what they could be. Bad news, IMO.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well Canada looks pretty well finished this quad short of some miracle. It seems like Osmond will retire or have trouble getting back the motivation to get on top. her dream of another team olympic medal is all but finished. Canada has lost its most promising pairs team and already lost arguably its top two team. Keegan looks good but at 26 or 27 time is not on his side. Nam and Reynolds really have one year to get it together before the door maybe closing on them. Both have struggled in the past seasons. Daleman has not regained her spark. Let's forget Larkyn. Ice dance rests on its third place team Charlie and Julianne's demise might be the demise of the Canadian team this quad Who would have thought. USA might beat the Canadians in pairs. Oh how the mighty have fallen. I thought this team had such potential.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well Canada looks pretty well finished this quad short of some miracle. It seems like Osmond will retire or have trouble getting back the motivation to get on top. her dream of another team olympic medal is all but finished. Canada has lost its most promising pairs team and already lost arguably its top two team. Keegan looks good but at 26 or 27 time is not on his side. Nam and Reynolds really have one year to get it together before the door maybe closing on them. Both have struggled in the past seasons. Daleman has not regained her spark. Let's forget Larkyn. Ice dance rests on its third place team Charlie and Julianne's demise might be the demise of the Canadian team this quad Who would have thought. USA might beat the Canadians in pairs. Oh how the mighty have fallen. I thought this team had such potential.

in 2014 after the games

Patrick retired (took a break)
Tessa and Scott also retired (took a break)
Dylan and Kirsten split up
our ladies were not real contenders..

then worse : Kevin had injuries.... we relied on Nam pre growth (5th place)

Kaetlyn was almost gone forever after major injury..
Weapo were dsitanced by the French...

it was pretty dark wasn't it? This is what we call an Olympic cycle... some countries are rebuilding every 4 years... right after the games... It's pretty normal. Let's save everyone dark thoughts about the Canadian team.... and revisit in 3.5 years, right before the games... Maybe your assessment of today will still apply... but most likely, Canada will have rebuilt well enough to still contend in at least one or two disciplines and for sure in the team event.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes, those pesky Olympic cycles.

I'm not worried about the Canadian Team whatsoever. :dev3:

reneerose

Final Flight
This shocked me to no end. My hope is that they could have given it 1 more season. Did Julianne really have more than 2 concussions? Pairs is a tough tough discipline. I can't really see them with other partners. :noshake: How much does it cost to pay for choreography and then suddenly abandon it? :shocked:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Oh, come now. This has nothing to do with Kaetlyn's motivations. Gabby's fine; she had a great nationals, a great team event, a really bad individual event, a fine Worlds short, and then got injured again. The future of Canada's men's team has more to do with how our three most prominent junior men turn out, not anybody currently in the international seniors scene. Julianne and Charlie's breaking up is definitely a loss for pairs (particularly in the short term), but since both evidently plan to continue, there's no way to know how that will work out by 2022; and Kirsten and Michael have of late been doing very well for themselves. Ice dance we have a pretty good bench.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
S/B split was overshadowed by by the large tragedy that occurred in the same day. Yes, after both D/R and I/M retired, Canadian pairs lost some ground, but still looked OK with MT/M and S/B. So, for a short time, MT/M look like they remain sort of alone (in the good pairs pack).

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I recall the uncertainty during the post-Olympic season after Vancouver, when all top three Canadian teams either split because one of the partners retired or in the case of Dube/Davison, got injured right before Skate Canada. That was the year that Duhamel teamed up with Radford and also the year that Moore-Towers/Moscovitch teamed up and immediately broke out at Skate Canada, taking the silver medal. These two teams ended up battling neck and neck for the podium by the second half of the quad. For those that are concerned, we have an abundance of talent here in Canada that can carry the torch.

libecha

Rinkside
Thank you for the written interview. I have problems understanding Canadian French, but written French is OK. I am glad both skaters want to go to the next Olympics. Charlie was glad to have Savchenco/Massot experience as an example. I with them the same success as the German couple!

This is unfortunate because I don't see many similarities between this situation and S/M and I hope Charlie hasn't taken the wrong lesson from it. It's almost the exception that proves the rule. Aljona Savchenko is a once-in-a-generation pairs skater who already had a proven track record at the highest level and thus was never going to seriously struggle to have her pick of partners; anybody was going to be flattered to get a call. And Bruno went through hell to skate with her, to a degree that most people would not put up with. And while he had a lot of areas to majorly work on, he already had standout world-class skills in twists and lifts that showed attractive potential. Charlie is a nice skater, but he's not going to have the pull of an Aljona, nor does he have any glaring splinter skills that would make him a Bruno. I hope he finds someone suitable, but I also hope he isn't setting himself up for disappointment with a "grass is greener" mentality and the role model of a pair whose story is so crazy and unique that it should be a movie.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
This is unfortunate because I don't see many similarities between this situation and S/M and I hope Charlie hasn't taken the wrong lesson from it. It's almost the exception that proves the rule. Aljona Savchenko is a once-in-a-generation pairs skater who already had a proven track record at the highest level and thus was never going to seriously struggle to have her pick of partners; anybody was going to be flattered to get a call. And Bruno went through hell to skate with her, to a degree that most people would not put up with. And while he had a lot of areas to majorly work on, he already had standout world-class skills in twists and lifts that showed attractive potential. Charlie is a nice skater, but he's not going to have the pull of an Aljona, nor does he have any glaring splinter skills that would make him a Bruno. I hope he finds someone suitable, but I also hope he isn't setting himself up for disappointment with a "grass is greener" mentality and the role model of a pair whose story is so crazy and unique that it should be a movie.

Yeah...a movie would do that story justice. But, I agree there is no comparison with this particular split. I'm just sad about that because they seemed so happy together at the OG, and I just thought the mishap at Worlds was just that: a mishap after shining bright.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker

This.

Plus, he had to learn German and very nearly didn't get his citizenship in time.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Bruno is a hero and an idol for us all.
I admire his grit! He had a chance and look, now he's a Olympic and World Champion and he also had to end his old partnership for it.

So I think that Charly has a good reason for this, if he thinks that they can't move forward together.
I'm a little sad because I really liked them as a pair. But their last results where underwhelming so something really didn't work the way it should.

reneerose

Final Flight

Amen to this! Reading about his interview made me think of Charlie as extremely pretentious. I was just wondering if Julianne's injuries perhaps made him more hesitant to try to continue to make it work.