Single flip advice? | Golden Skate

Single flip advice?

cantheskater

Rinkside
Country
Turkey
Hi, I'm an adult figure skater for almost two years now. The thing I noticed with my single flip is that I tap my pick on the ice and my toepick turns on the ice for like 180° before I'm jumping . I see people taking off as soon as they tap their toepick on the ice. My coach said it's your brain that slows you down. LoL is this a common problem for newbies? Btw I can do it with both hands above my head at a normal speed. I don't find flip difficult anymore but somehow I still have this toepick issue.

cantheskater

Rinkside
Country
Turkey
What bothers me the most is that I had thought that I was done with the single flip and there was no problem yet I was wrong :(

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Hi, I'm an adult figure skater for almost two years now. The thing I noticed with my single flip is that I tap my pick on the ice and my toepick turns on the ice for like 180° before I'm jumping . I see people taking off as soon as they tap their toepick on the ice. My coach said it's your brain that slows you down. LoL is this a common problem for newbies? Btw I can do it with both hands above my head at a normal speed. I don't find flip difficult anymore but somehow I still have this toepick issue.
I really shouldn't be answering this because I was always a weak jumper. I should keep quiet and let the coaches here help you, but I'm trying to picture what you're doing. It sounds as if you're leaving your pick in the ice too long and the rest of you is in the air and turning, while that pick is still clinging to the ice and wailing:"Nooo! I don't wanna jump!" and then getting hauled along behind while the rest of you is in the air? Metaphorically speaking :biggrin:. Turning 180 degrees on the pick in the ice and then jumping forward off it would be what my coach called my Toe Axel :bang:. Apparently, and this is digging a long way back into memory, I was on way too much lean to the inside after the Mohawk or 3 turn entry with my free foot dropping too far into my circle. Most of my weight was going onto the pick. I had to first learn to, basically, cheat and do edge jumps while just lightly tapping with the toe of the free foot, keeping all my weight on the skating foot. Once I got that into muscle memory I could gradually put more weight onto the pick and get more lift from it, like a pole vaulter.

Now I'll let one of the *real* coaches tell you that what I just said was wrong :palmf: and explain how you can fix the problem. Good luck!

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I really shouldn't be answering this because I was always a weak jumper. I should keep quiet and let the coaches here help you, but I'm trying to picture what you're doing. It sounds as if you're leaving your pick in the ice too long and the rest of you is in the air and turning, while that pick is still clinging to the ice and wailing:"Nooo! I don't wanna jump!" and then getting hauled along behind while the rest of you is in the air? Metaphorically speaking :biggrin:. Turning 180 degrees on the pick in the ice and then jumping forward off it would be what my coach called my Toe Axel :bang:. Apparently, and this is digging a long way back into memory, I was on way too much lean to the inside after the Mohawk or 3 turn entry with my free foot dropping too far into my circle. Most of my weight was going onto the pick. I had to first learn to, basically, cheat and do edge jumps while just lightly tapping with the toe of the free foot, keeping all my weight on the skating foot. Once I got that into muscle memory I could gradually put more weight onto the pick and get more lift from it, like a pole vaulter.

Now I'll let one of the *real* coaches tell you that what I just said was wrong :palmf: and explain how you can fix the problem. Good luck!
It’s a common problem with toe loop too. They call it a toe waltz.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
so to try and explain this easy peasy haha..you’re not using your toe pick to rotate. You’re using your hips. The pick helps you vault with your leg when you press into the ice. When you pick you draw back your free skate and bend the pick leg and snap up and into the jump. You’ll essentially always start a rotation with the pick but it’s not meant to do a bulk of rotation

cantheskater

Rinkside
Country
Turkey

Hearing anecdotes can sometimes be really helpful. Thanks for sharing it. ☺️

cantheskater

Rinkside
Country
Turkey
so to try and explain this easy peasy haha..you’re not using your toe pick to rotate. You’re using your hips. The pick helps you vault with your leg when you press into the ice. When you pick you draw back your free skate and bend the pick leg and snap up and into the jump. You’ll essentially always start a rotation with the pick but it’s not meant to do a bulk of rotation
This is super helpful. Thank you so much!! I don't know if this is allowed but here is the link of me doing a flip jump. Feel free to judge me everyone ☺️
My flip jump; https://vm.tiktok.com/ZM66Xejxm/

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Oh, honey, we're NEVER done with any element...
Earlier this week, practising our program for a little New Year's Eve club show, I completely lost my Salchow. I learned the Salchow when I was 7 or so. For context, my youngest grandkid is 7, so I've been doing that jump for a loooong time. But I'd set it up and then my left knee refused every time to bend and lift, and I never left the ice. Finally my partner said, "Look, I'm doing a jump and you're doing a twizzle. :rolleye:Can we flip a coin and decide which we're both going to do?" We worked on a different section of the program and when we came back to the sbs jumps again later, this time I got airborne again :jump:. It happens. All the time.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
This is super helpful. Thank you so much!! I don't know if this is allowed but here is the link of me doing a flip jump. Feel free to judge me everyone ☺️
My flip jump; https://vm.tiktok.com/ZM66Xejxm/
Actually that’s pretty good. I’m not going to lie. I watched it a few times. The basic technique is there. You didn’t pre rotate overboard. It was correct. If you want to move to a double it all needs to come together quicker. Like 2.5x faster haha. When I say faster I don’t mean uncontrolled. Timing timing timing. I do a 1-2.count set up ..one two turn one two bend one two pick jump .. I’ll do a video tomorrow. It will make more sense

Last edited:

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Actually that’s pretty good. I’m not going to lie. I watched it a few times. The basic technique is there. You didn’t pre rotate overboard. It was correct. If you want to move to a double it all needs to come together quicker. Like 2.5x faster haha. When I say faster I don’t mean uncontrolled. Timing timing timing. I do a 1-2.count set up ..one two turn one two bend one two pick jump .. I’ll do a video tomorrow. It will make more sense
Single flip timing click link Timing only lets not worry about dropping side etc lol