Skate America Television Coverage | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Skate America Television Coverage

viennaskater

Medalist
Given that the illegal stream I used to watch is now dead, I am definitely leaning towards signing up for Eurosport Player!

CaroLiza_fan

UPDATE: Hang on a bit - I just set up Eurosport Player on my Smart TV and to my horror, even though the picture quality is first rate, it is indeed only in GERMAN - so it is defaulted to the country language. HOWEVER, I CAN get English if I access Eurosport Player on my laptop! Grrrrr! This is so annoying because I wanted it on my television. The problem is that I have to open a Samsung App to get into Eurosport Player on my Smart TV.

So if you are ok with watching it on a laptop then you can get English. Only other option is connecting your laptop to the TV with an HDMI cable which I USED to do and was hoping I did not have to do any more!

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
So if you are ok with watching it on a laptop then you can get English. Only other option is connecting your laptop to the TV with an HDMI cable which I USED to do and was hoping I did not have to do any more!
Or, use Airplay or similar streaming options to stream from the laptop (or mobile device) to the television, or to a bluray player etc. That's how I watch. I use the app on the iPad, but stream the whole thing to the television.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
UPDATE: Hang on a bit - I just set up Eurosport Player on my Smart TV and to my horror, even though the picture quality is first rate, it is indeed only in GERMAN - so it is defaulted to the country language. HOWEVER, I CAN get English if I access Eurosport Player on my laptop! Grrrrr! This is so annoying because I wanted it on my television. The problem is that I have to open a Samsung App to get into Eurosport Player on my Smart TV.

You can hook Laptops up to TVs pretty easily actually. Really if you can connect a monitor to a PC tower you can do this. If you are fussy and want good sound rather than the sound from the laptop it can get trickier (i.e. needs less common cords that you can get at Wal-Mart for less than $10.00). But you can use your TV as a second monitor for your laptop very easily if that appeals to you. Look at the back of your TV.

xabia

On the Ice
I don't know if the info in this post might be of use to anyone.

If this works you're a wonder! I've just clicked on the KAZSport link and the picture is perfect. I'm in Spain just now - don't know if that's got anything to do with it. But I'll try in 3h 20mins and hope that it shows the short pairs. Thank you so much GrandSophy!!

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
If this works you're a wonder! I've just clicked on the KAZSport link and the picture is perfect. I'm in Spain just now - don't know if that's got anything to do with it. But I'll try in 3h 20mins and hope that it shows the short pairs. Thank you so much GrandSophy!!

You're welcome, but please thank eggplant who runs that blog. I just linked her wonderful post here.

viennaskater

Medalist
OK further update - just checked the Eurosport 2 channel on my TV and found out it now has English as well! Result! I am pretty sure it didn't used to ...

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Wow phew... anyone wants to summerize this thread :biggrin: Hope all of us can whatch whatever our opportunities are :)

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

You know, I never actually thought of connecting the computer up to the TV to watch on the bigger screen. That would be more enjoyable to watch on than the wee 15 inch screen I currently watch on.

Mind you, the TV and the computer are at opposite corners of the sitting room, and would need a 10m cable between them (I know that due to having a 10m ethernet cable going to the Sky+ box to get the On Demand service). So, maybe it is not so feasible.

I think our TV is capable of getting Eurosport Player (it's Panasonic). But I've never actually tried it because it is more useful having the cable comnnected to the Sky+ box. (Very few shops keep cables that long, and the shop I bought from previously doesn't keep them any more. Plus, I am wary of buying that sort of thing off the internet).

OK further update - just checked the Eurosport 2 channel on my TV and found out it now has English as well! Result! I am pretty sure it didn't used to ...

Congratulations viennaskater!!! :cheer: That should make life a lot more pleasant for you, being able to watch the skating with commentary in your native language, courtesy of the dream team of Simon, Chris and Nicky!!! :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Mind you, the TV and the computer are at opposite corners of the sitting room, and would need a 10m cable between them
Isn't that why they invented streaming capabilities? :laugh: Just use screen mirroring or similar. Certainly much easier than using hdmi cables over such distances.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Isn't that why they invented streaming capabilities? :laugh: Just use screen mirroring or similar. Certainly much easier than using hdmi cables over such distances.

but when you leave the cords all over you get the bonus of agility training!

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Never heard tell of screen mirroring before. So, I had to look it up.

But, I don't think I would be able to use it anyway, as having wireless enabled on things always gives me really bad headaches. Hence why the Wi-Fi on our router is permanently switched off, and everything is connected with ethernet cables. Even if they have to be 10m long.

but when you leave the cords all over you get the bonus of agility training!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Never heard tell of screen mirroring before. So, I had to look it up.

But, I don't think I would be able to use it anyway, as having wireless enabled on things always gives me really bad headaches. Hence why the Wi-Fi on our router is permanently switched off, and everything is connected with ethernet cables. Even if they have to be 10m long! :laugh:

:laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

FWIW I kinda hate WiFi too when i can use a cord instead. I like it for my phone, but even a laptop i kind would rather just have the cord. I guess we are just old fashioned. Also if you ever need longer than 10m... Monoprice.com is a great option for really long cords!

That being said most TVs these days do have VGA cables so they are pretty easy to hook up to lap tops and PCs. I have even done it in hotels.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
FWIW I kinda hate WiFi too when i can use a cord instead. I like it for my phone, but even a laptop i kind would rather just have the cord. I guess we are just old fashioned. Also if you ever need longer than 10m... Monoprice.com is a great option for really long cords!

Yeah, I do tend to be old fashioned (hey, I'm an archaeologist. It kinda goes withthe territory!) But, in this case having the wireless disabled is a necessity rather than a preference. When talking about wireless giving me bad headaches I wasn't talking proverbially - I was talking literally!

And in these days of practically every public place providing their own Wi-Fi access, it is a nightmare.

Thank you for the recommendation. I'll definitely have a look. But, I'll also have to check to see if they post to the UK, though.

That being said most TVs these days do have VGA cables so they are pretty easy to hook up to lap tops and PCs. I have even done it in hotels.

Well, if I were to hook the computer and TV together, my preference would be to do it by VGA rather than HDMI. Let's face it, that's what the VGA socket on the TV is there for! The HDMI sockets are just too useful for connecting everything else to have one of them taken up by a computer!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Yeah, I do tend to be old fashioned (hey, I'm an archaeologist. It kinda goes withthe territory!) But, in this case having the wireless disabled is a necessity rather than a preference. When talking about wireless giving me bad headaches I wasn't talking proverbially - I was talking literally!

And in these days of practically every public place providing their own Wi-Fi access, it is a nightmare.

Thank you for the recommendation. I'll definitely have a look. But, I'll also have to check to see if they post to the UK, though.

Well, if I were to hook the computer and TV together, my preference would be to do it by VGA rather than HDMI. Let's face it, that's what the VGA socket on the TV is there for! The HDMI sockets are just too useful for connecting everything else to have one of them taken up by a computer!

CaroLiza_fan

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh so THATs what you mean by headache? Actually i can understand that as well. And that is an awesome job... someday i really hope to meet you in person so i can get you drunk enough to ramble on and on about your career because I think listing to a drunk archaeologist ramble enthusiastically sounds awesome!

monoprice does ship globally... they are often called basically the cords and cables equivalent of generic drugs. Good value if you are ok with utilitarian. But they have 75 foot cat5s for less than $10.00 so that is a good thing in my book. They also have a decent amount of organization options so if you want to like mount the cords to walls they have options for that too.

The only issue with VGA to TV is that the sound will come out of the computer/laptop. Which is fine if the speakers are fine (or you don't care) or you can plug in a stupid speaker to the computer too. Really it is not too bad and strangely satisfying seeing your computer desktop on the TV screen.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
So glad I subscribed to Eurosport player. The Kazakh stream when I had a peek kept freezing so it would have been no use for me although I am glad it is good for some of you. So this is wonderful!