Skate store / fitter advise | Golden Skate

Skate store / fitter advise

halflutz

Rinkside
Hi everyone!

I'm an adult beginner skater (26 years old) from Indonesia. I started to learn figure skating about 1 year ago, I've already started doing waltz jump, salchow, toe loop, half flip, half lutz. I've been wanting to get new boots and blades since my first boots were second-hand (Risport RF4), however in my country there don't seems to be any professional fitters, and skate shops here usually don't have boots in stock so we have to pre-order it without getting fitted.

Please advise on what should I do.. Do I really need to change my boots immediately and look for an online fitting appointment? (boots and blades recommendations are very welcome!)
Or can I still use my skates and wait until next year to buy a new one? because I have a plan to go on vacation next year to Singapore, and maybe there are professional fitters there I'm not sure..

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi everyone!

I'm an adult beginner skater (26 years old) from Indonesia. I started to learn figure skating about 1 year ago, I've already started doing waltz jump, salchow, toe loop, half flip, half lutz. I've been wanting to get new boots and blades since my first boots were second-hand (Risport RF4), however in my country there don't seems to be any professional fitters, and skate shops here usually don't have boots in stock so we have to pre-order it without getting fitted.

Please advise on what should I do.. Do I really need to change my boots immediately and look for an online fitting appointment? (boots and blades recommendations are very welcome!)
Or can I still use my skates and wait until next year to buy a new one? because I have a plan to go on vacation next year to Singapore, and maybe there are professional fitters there I'm not sure..
Closest to you is SkateSports in Petaling Jaya, Malaysia (near Kuala Lumpur). They fit and sell Risport, Jackson, Edea IIRC.

TELEPHONE:

halflutz

Rinkside
Closest to you is SkateSports in Petaling Jaya, Malaysia (near Kuala Lumpur). They fit and sell Risport, Jackson, Edea IIRC.

TELEPHONE:
Thank you!

Do you have any recommendation on what should I get?
I've been eyeing on Edea Chorus with MK Phantom or Gold Star blades, because I'm not sure I can afford another skates and blades after this next one.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you!

I've been eyeing on Edea Chorus with MK Phantom or Gold Star blades, because I'm not sure I can afford another skates and blades after this next one.
You'll have to give me more info regarding your foot shape, arches, weight/height ecetera and I would gladly give suggestions.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Thank you!

A Phantom or Gold Star will likely be too much blade at your level

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Coronation Ace or MK Pro blades would be a good choice for you. If I remember right, they should be good through all double jumps. If you care for your blades, you can wear them for longer than your boots, and just replace the boots.

halflutz

Rinkside
You'll have to give me more info regarding your foot shape, arches, weight/height ecetera and I would gladly give suggestions.
I’m 5’3 and 110lbs, I have flat feet and also overpronation, I feel pretty comfortable wearing Risport so I guess I have narrow feet.

My coach once offered me secondhand Edea Ice Fly, I tried it and it felt comfortable and snug. But I don’t think it’s a good idea to buy secondhand skates again, also Ice Fly boots are too stiff for me right?

halflutz

Rinkside
Coronation Ace or MK Pro blades would be a good choice for you. If I remember right, they should be good through all double jumps. If you care for your blades, you can wear them for longer than your boots, and just replace the boots.
Ah I see.. Thank you for your suggestion!

mskater93

Record Breaker
I’m sorry but I don’t understand what you mean by too much blade?

I know the levels of boots but I don’t know much about blades
Phantoms and Gold Stars have a marvelous run on their edges, but they both have VERY aggressive toe picks designed for high level doubles, triples, and quads. Too much blade can impede progress as much as overbooting. Emilinkaa is right as to her suggestions for blades at your level.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I’m sorry but I don’t understand what you mean by too much blade?

I know the levels of boots but I don’t know much about blades
First of all blades, the ones you were referring to Gold Star, Phantom are top level, you do not need something like that. Look at Coronation Ace or MK Pro.

Risport are not known to be narrow. Also, don't buy your coachs ice fly b/c it's too stiff/high level boot for you and if you fit a Risport, edea usually is too narrow.

Flat foot, you would be also ok to look into Graf boots.

mskater93

Record Breaker
First of all blades, the ones you were referring to Gold Star, Phantom are top level, you do not need something like that. Look at Coronation Ace or MK Pro.

Risport are not known to be narrow. Also, don't buy your coachs ice fly b/c it's too stiff/high level boot for you and if you fit a Risport, edea usually is too narrow.

Flat foot, you would be also ok to look into Graf boots.
I just got my first pair of Grafs. I'd say Grafs and Harlicks are in the same family of foot (been in custom Harlicks forever, only trying the Grafs because of the lead time and customer service issues with Harlick right now). I've only been in them 10 minutes, but with heat molding, these boots are awesome! So, a small plug for Grafs...

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I just got my first pair of Grafs. I'd say Grafs and Harlicks are in the same family of foot (been in custom Harlicks forever, only trying the Grafs because of the lead time and customer service issues with Harlick right now). I've only been in them 10 minutes, but with heat molding, these boots are awesome! So, a small plug for Grafs...
I wanted to try Graf when I got my Risport, but couldn’t find any…which is hilarious because I live in Southern Germany (and Graf are Swiss). :shrug:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I wanted to try Graf when I got my Risport, but couldn’t find any…which is hilarious because I live in Southern Germany (and Graf are Swiss). :shrug:
:scratch2: Yeah, that's like the previous posts concerning available stock of Coronation Ace blades. One skater in France had no problems getting hold of them. But a skater in Sheffield, England, where Wilson manufactures those blades, did have problems.

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
:scratch2: Yeah, that's like the previous posts concerning available stock of Coronation Ace blades. One skater in France had no problems getting hold of them. But a skater in Sheffield, England, where Wilson manufactures those blades, did have problems.
It's not availability stock, it's the shops i was reaching out to didn't stock the brand at all.