Snowboard | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Snowboard

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What in the world was that.:shocked: That was unbelievable. I'm still shaking my head. Wow..I've never seen him cry like that either.
He's grown up a lot in the last four year plus this is probably his final Olympic games and he wanted that Gold medal bad.

lavender

Record Breaker
He's grown up a lot in the last four year plus this is probably his final Olympic games and he wanted that Gold medal bad.

I've don't remember him ever flying that high. I was sad for him because I thought that was his last Olympics and would end his career off the podium...love being wrong in this case.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I have to say, as a totally casual snowboard viewer watching from time to time (usually Olympics;)), Shawn White's last run today was...BEYOND. What a longevity. What a class. What a spirit and confidence :bow:

I have literally no comprehension about snowboard's technique, but boy oh boy - Shawn's run was a rocket, dynamite and just left the dust behind. Seriously, what a man!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why is he dragging the American flag on the ground after is win?????? The new kneeling?

Yeah..I was with a group of people that got salty about it but seriously...I doubt there was any negative intent. He was just so overwhelmed and consumed by the moment that he probably didn’t realize he was doing it. His mind was probably racing!!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yeah..I was with a group of people that got salty about it but seriously...I doubt there was any negative intent. He was just so overwhelmed and consumed by the moment that he probably didn’t realize he was doing it. His mind was probably racing!!

Hey Sam, I think you are correct. We have to give him the benefit of the doubt. He was in shock. Although I was surprised that someone else there like the Aussie didnt whisper in his ear , "Hey, you are dragging your flag on the ground in front of millions of viewers." I would have taken the flag and drapped it over his shoulders again to not embarrass him.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Going to bed now, so putting this up as a placeholder, and will add the links tomorrow.

Women's Big Air Qualifying

Here is the link for the World Feed coverage on the British Eurosport Player (starts in 3h 30m from now):
https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/event/womens-big-air-qualifying/67526b3e-b93e-46e4-8927-2cec76d2a60a

And here is the link for the British Eurosport 1 coverage on the Player (starts in 3h 35m from now):
Part 1 (starts at 4m 10s. Ends during the highlights of #1 Anna Gasser's 2nd run) – https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/even...boarding/cf4a84e4-bfb0-4a45-89b2-1ba2f005e476
Part 2 (starts during the highlights of #14 Cheryl Maas' 2nd run) – https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/even...boarding/fbfbcd7e-aa11-4698-8e89-0b14ec236c2d

Here is the Start List:
http://medias4.fis-ski.com/pdf/2018/SB/7080/2018SB7080SLQ.pdf

And here is the Live Timing:
XXXX

Hope this helps.

:cheer: ALL THE BEST AIMEE!!! :cheer:

(and everybody else. But mainly Aimee!)

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Going to bed soon, so putting this up as a placeholder, and will add the links tomorrow.

Parallel Giant Slalom Qualifying

Here is the link for the World Feed coverage on the British Eurosport Player (starts in 3h 00m from now):
https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/even...alifying/ee9f17b2-69ec-47c9-8c2d-b4382bd3bd65

Unfortunately, the Parallel GS Qualifying is not being shown LIVE on Eurosport’s linear TV channels. :disapp:

Here is the Start List for the First Run:
http://medias4.fis-ski.com/pdf/2018/SB/7082/2018SB7082SLQ1.pdf

XXXX

Hope this helps.

:cheer: ALL THE BEST EVERYBODY!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the link for the World Feed coverage on the British Eurosport Player (starts in 6h 30m from now):
https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/even...m-finals/be63ab88-d467-46c1-b46e-626ac4d863b8

And here is the link for the British Eurosport 1 coverage on the Player:
https://gb.eurosportplayer.com/even...boarding/505c5378-2aaa-4cae-85a3-720899a908a9

Here is the Start List for the First Run:
XXXX

XXXX

Hope this helps.

:cheer: ALL THE BEST EVERYBODY!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just watched the Parallel GS Snowboarding, and all I can say is:

:bow: :bow: :bow:

OK, so she has been unbeaten all season. But, after winning the Super G in Alpine Skiing, can you imagine the pressure she would have been under to do the double?

I think it said it all when, after every run she did up to the Final, Ester hid behind her snowboard when the cameras were prowling the outrun. I don’t know if this is her normal behaviour. But, to me, it looked like this was her way of trying to get away from all the attention.

Obviously, I was delighted when she won and became the first person to win gold in two different sports at the same Olympics. But, at the same time, I felt sorry for her, because she is going to be hounded by the media for a very long time.

So, now that Ledecká has shown that it is possible to win in two different sports at the Olympics, I reckon that Elise Christie should go back to figure skating. Like, surely she can’t get disqualified in it…

This was my first time watching Alpine Snowboarding and, I have to be honest, I didn’t find it as enjoyable as I was expecting it to be.

I watched Skiing Parallel Slalom straight before I watched the qualifying and then the knock-out stages of the Snowboarding Parallel Giant Slalom. And I preferred the skiing version of parallel racing.

For a start, the skiing actually looked more exciting. Like, in any parallel skiing competitions I have watched before, the skiers all looked like they were really going for it. But, when I was watching the first run of the qualifying for the women’s snowboard, I was surprised that the girls looked like they weren’t really going for it. Then Ledecká came down. And she was as wild as she is on the skis.

That was what I was expecting everybody to be like. And the irony is that this first run was the only time Ledecká looked wild. She was so smooth in the rest of the runs she did.

Also, although I preferred the format that snowboarding uses for the qualifying to the format used in skiing, I really did not like the format that the snowboarding uses for the knock-out stages.

Here is a table summarising the differences:

Parallel Competitions
Alpine Skiing
Alpine Snowboarding
Qualifying
1 course down the middle of the slope.
1 run.
Same 2 courses as in knock-out stages.
1 run on each course, with total time used as result.
Knock-Out Stages
2 courses.
1 run on each course, with total time used as result.
2 courses.
1 run, with faster competitor from previous round getting first choice on which course they use.

As samkrut has already pointed out, the red course was definitely a lot faster than the blue course in the Alpine Snowboarding. In the qualifying, this did not matter because everybody had a run on each course. And it would not have mattered if the knock-out stages were done the same way as in the qualifying (and as they are done in the knock-out stages in Alpine Skiing). But, they weren’t. Having only one run in the knock-out stages meant that the competition was not fair.

That said, I don’t think it made any difference to where the Gold Medal was going. Ledecká was just a class above everybody else. But, it probably did make a difference to the other results.

I hope that in light of this, the FIS review the format used in Parallel competitions in both Alpine Skiing and Alpine Snowboarding, and come up with a format that works for both sports and, most importantly, is fair.

In other words, the qualifying format currently used in snowboarding, with the knock-out format currently used in skiing.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited by a moderator:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Judging controversy!!! Time to burn down and spam all the snowboard forums!! Anna Gasser got hosed on that score for that 1080 double cork!! :devil:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And saying “this is the progression of women’s snowboarding” is equal to all of the US Nationals “Body of Work talk! :furious:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Holy Crap Jamie Anderson getting SENDY AF with that last switch 1080 to face plant :shocked:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anna wins!!! :yay: I love seeing her and Jamie hugging as the score came out. All the girls ran out to hug her after she landed that massive gold medal winning jump. Wow! Love the sportsmanship and respect in this sport!

First ever Ladies Big Air and a bit of redemption for the girls after they were fed to the wind wolves during Slopestyle.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They interviewed Jaime Anderson on NBC about her silver. I can only paraphrase...

“Honestly...I’m tripping! Yeah double gold would be more gangster but I like silver too. A little yin a little yang!”

She praised everyone and said how proud she was of Anna for pushing everyone and laying down her runs! I’m so glad I caught this event on TV. The guys are insane but the girls are really pushing it and it’s super exciting to see! :yahoo:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ester Ledecka just won another gold!!! :yay:

This time in the event she was supposed. Snowboard Parallel Slalom. She is the first woman to win Gold medals in two different sports.:yahoo: