Sochi bids for 2017 World Figure Skating champs - official | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Sochi bids for 2017 World Figure Skating champs - official

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm down for even tropical climate events. Maybe it will put fans in a better mood to be in warmer climates. Have I mentioned Barcelona?

gmyers

Record Breaker
After Plushenko withdrew from the men's SP, the obnoxious rabidly pro-Russian crowd got up and left en masse, and what remained was a normal crowd of people who behaved like any crowd at a skating event. They cheered for all the skaters, regardless of the country they represented. The men's SP and FS at Sochi were the only events with a normal audience, and that was quite refreshing!

The worst event of all was Ice Dance, where the performances of the top two teams (D/W and V/M) were met with icy silence until the skaters returned to the KnC where the crowd shouted "Ross-i-Ya" until the marks were read. There was hardly any applause for the top two teams when they came out for the on-ice podium ceremony---that was reserved for I/K, the bronze medalists. How ironic that I/K broke up shortly after Worlds, which won't help Russia's ice dance hopes for 2018.

Tell that to Virtue/Moir and Davis/White, or the Germans when they fell in their FS. Oh, and every man who had to skate after Plushenko. :rolleye:

The videos of the event and the live coverage shows these posts are inaccurate russia hating lies.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Volgograd is actually Stalingrad on some major holidays celebrating the victory over the nazis as all soldiers and residents were fighting for Stalingrad.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Volgograd is actually Stalingrad on some major holidays celebrating the victory over the nazis as all soldiers and residents were fighting for Stalingrad.

Learn something new here everyday. Thank you:)

Do they change the "city limits" signs? How do they identify the name change on holidays? Just among local talk or is it visual too?

Alba

Record Breaker
Learn something new here everyday. Thank you:)

Do they change the "city limits" signs? How do they identify the name change on holidays? Just among local talk or is it visual too?

It used to be Tsaritsyn till 1925, than Stalingrad till 1961. After that Volgograd, which is a nice name I think since the city is on the volga river.
So yeah, officially is Volgograd but the city is famous for the Battle of Stalingrad.

Alba

Record Breaker
Me too!!!

Wow, never thought I'd find football fans and WWII buffs on a figure skating forum :laugh:

:yay: I'm nuts about WWII. I visit Normandy almost every year. I've been to Belgium visiting the WWII sites. Now I have to start with The Russian Campaign. :biggrin:

You're a football (soccer) fan as well? Which club and which country?

anyanka

Record Breaker
My parents live in Sochi so that naming it "a hole" does not sound nice to me. As for subtropical, what's the problem? The rink is indoors. Outdoors it's +15C or 60F. In Ekaterinburg it could be as low as -10C or 10F in March. International crowd will freeze. And then we will have another round of complaints about Russia.

Yup. They had no problems holding it on the French Riviera in 2000 AND in 2012 in Nice. Skaters went to the beach right after, incredibly warm weather and 300+ days of sun a year there. And the ice was considered "too soft" by a lot of skaters (e.g. Sasha and Yuko's frightening drop to the ice in the pairs SP) there. No such problems in Sochi this year.

TMC

Record Breaker
:yay: I'm nuts about WWII. I visit Normandy almost every year. I've been to Belgium visiting the WWII sites. Now I have to start with The Russian Campaign. :biggrin:

You're a football (soccer) fan as well? Which club and which country?

Cool! I envy you! My brother went to Normandy on one of the boats/ships on the 60th anniversary. He happened to work on a boat in Finland that was actually part of the campaign in -45 and they sailed all the way from northern Finland to England to take part. How amazing can that have been!?

I'm a Man City girl & otherwise I support my adopted country Scotland - Finland sucks at soccer! :biggrin: You?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I should dearly love to go to Gallipoli. But not on Anzac Day. I could not bear that.