Team KoRo 7K (Kori Ade & Rohene Ward) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Team KoRo 7K (Kori Ade & Rohene Ward)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love something that Vincent said: "As long as Kori Ade is coaching, U.S. Figure skating will be all right." I'm not sure where that clip is.

I hope this is okay. In line with your OP, where you suggest we can talk about how amazing it is that Kori has built up the 7K program in two years, after having been snubbed by World Arena, I want to post links to the two parts of TSL interview with Kori Ade, so people can listen if they haven't already. It is AWESOME.

Did I mention how awesome Kori is? :love: Here's a teaser (but maybe everyone's heard it already; I'm fairly new here so I'm not sure. Do let me know if I'm being repetitive): During the first year, they didn't have heat in the Monument rink. Kori told Jason and Jordan: this is your time of adversity. Also, she said this is one way the Russians got so good -- they had to skate on poor ice, in subpar conditions, so then skating on perfect ice, they had an advantage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=174m-nshXxk (Part One)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrUv4iTSCxA (this is part two.)

Skylark, you are absolutely right about how admirable is Kori's determination to start a new coaching center even after the World Arena did not treat her with the respect she deserved. At the time, Rohene was reported to have said to her "all we need is a patch of ice, it doesn't need to be the best patch of ice in the state, it just needs to be a latch of ice and we'll get the job done." Loving that attitude and not just cause it's Rohene:rock:

I also loved the interviews with Kori. I would add the the OP, but I am using only my Air 2 at the moment, and I have not mastered copying and pasting without a "real keyboard".

Finally, Kori posted a forthright Instagram yesterday about her experience with sexism (which I also cannot copy. Can you believe that some idiot camera persons have asked her to smile (while she is intently following her skaters). When she asked why, they said because she was an attractive woman. :mad: That, IMHO, deserves its own thread. And may even be part of the earlier disrespect, again IMHO, from World Arena.

I think she is on the road to laughing last...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Finally, Kori posted a forthright Instagram yesterday about her experience with sexism (which I also cannot copy. Can you believe that some idiot camera persons have asked her to smile (while she is intently following her skaters). When she asked why, they said because she was an attractive woman. :mad: That, IMHO, deserves its own thread. And may even be part of the earlier disrespect, again IMHO, from World Arena.

I think she is on the road to laughing last...

Here it is! https://instagram.com/p/9XOl41pyoe/?taken-by=sk8coachirok

This is my game face...I've been asked by different cameramen more than once in my career to "smile more" or "give a little more to the camera" while I'm coaching at very high profile events. I'm working and trying to concentrate on the needs of my athlete in those moments. I'm not there for the camera and when I've questioned why I am being asked to essentially perform for the camera I've been told it's because I'm an attractive woman. So, no, the male coaches and older female coaches aren't subject to the same requests despite everyone being there to help their athletes win medals, achieve personal best scores, stay focused and achieve their highest potential. #MyStory #hypocrisy @sherylsandberg thank you for bringing this to light.

Sheryl Sandberg, who is known for her book "Lean In" encouraged women to post their story: https://instagram.com/p/9XFLqdlrQ1/?taken-by=sherylsandberg

@tlynnfaz is a Brooklyn-based artist who is tackling gender-based street harassment with her illustration project, Stop Telling Women to Smile. She is one of 28 women whose work has been selected to help kick off #MyStory, a new Instagram initiative to inspire women everywhere to find their visual voices.
Celebrating Tatyana – and all the amazing women who are showing us what the world can be.
Now we want to hear from you. Share a picture that captures who you are with #mystory — and explore the hashtag to meet inspiring women.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^Thanks Mrs. P! I know TV is all about the visuals, but still smh after reading Kori's post...

Tallorder

On the Ice
This sport has always had a disturbing dimension of "old guard" perspectives, that become intimidated by a new, modern and intelligent voice. Kori is a welcome breath of fresh air because she is both willing to do what she believes is right for her athletes, and call out the hypocrisy within the skating culture. #its2015 #comeon #goKori

musicfan80

Medalist
Sad news - Jordan Moeller is injured and has withdrawn from Nationals:

https://instagram.com/p/_xG88egp7k/

Sad news indeed. These skaters work too hard to even qualify to Nationals to not be able to compete.

It wouldn't surprise me if in the next couple of weeks, we will see more news of withdrawals from Nationals due to injuries.

Here's to wishing the best of luck in Jordan's (and anyone else's) recovery and that they come back better than ever.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Sad news indeed. These skaters work too hard to even qualify to Nationals to not be able to compete.

It wouldn't surprise me if in the next couple of weeks, we will see more news of withdrawals from Nationals due to injuries.

Here's to wishing the best of luck in Jordan's (and anyone else's) recovery and that they come back better than ever.

Yes I agree, it's really the one competition they don't want to miss. Poor Jordan looks so very sad in that picture. Let's hope that he heals quickly and well. As to others, it's hard to know what to make of the radio silence from Josh and the cheery tweets from Jason about everything BUT training, but I guess only time will tell.

musicfan80

Medalist
Yes I agree, it's really the one competition they don't want to miss. Poor Jordan looks so very sad in that picture. Let's hope that he heals quickly and well. As to others, it's hard to know what to make of the radio silence from Josh and the cheery tweets from Jason about everything BUT training, but I guess only time will tell.

True, what happens at Nationals can make (or break) what assignments a skater receives next fall. Missing Nationals can be detrimental - so can showing up and not skating well due to injury. Depending on where a skater is in their career, that could end up being worse.

Just my $.02 - I don't see Jason doing cheery tweets and posts Instagram about outside skating right now as any different than how he normally is. Same goes for Josh's lack of tweets and Instagram posts.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So sad about Jordan:sad21:

I'm afraid I'm another one who has gotten pessimistic about the ever optimistic Jason's tweets. I'm not ready to do a scientific survey, but the extended vacay in Chicago, the dude ranch, etc., and nothing showing him definitively in skates:confused: not even a coach Vincent practice vid?:scratch2: yes, I know it's speculation, and I know we don't *know* zip, but I am a natural fretter, and I am fretting.

I would be very happy to be wrong.

musicfan80

Medalist
So sad about Jordan:sad21:

I'm afraid I'm another one who has gotten pessimistic about the ever optimistic Jason's tweets. I'm not ready to do a scientific survey, but the extended vacay in Chicago, the dude ranch, etc., and nothing showing him definitively in skates:confused: not even a coach Vincent practice vid?:scratch2: yes, I know it's speculation, and I know we don't *know* zip, but I am a natural fretter, and I am fretting.

I would be very happy to be wrong.

We don't know where the dude ranch is - I guess that is where the concern may creep in. I need to check the weather, but isn't the Colorado Springs area usually cold and snowy right about now?

I also think that December is probably an intense month of for skating athletes and things may have gotten too busy or intense for these skaters to want to post anything about their skating right now. Just to use as a comparison, Max Aaron hasn't tweeted or posted on Instagram very recently either.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
We don't know where the dude ranch is ...

Soooooo sad :sad4: to hear that Jordan will miss Nats. Look forward to his return next season.

The dude ranch that Jason visits is in Tucson.
I don't remember the full name of the ranch, although he mentioned it by name at least once in a past year.
A short blurb about Jason and the ranch (with a photo of mini-Jason) is in a holiday traditions article in the Dec 2015 issue of Skating magazine.
See Page 22 of the magazine, which corresponds to Page 24 of the computer file.

Two paragraphs about Mariah Bell are in the same article: Page 27 of the magazine/Page 29 of the computer file.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Romain Ponsart is indeed permanently training at 7k! Article in French:

http://www.skate-info-glace.com/interview-romain-ponsart/

I won't translate the whole enchilada now, but essentially after Romain broke with Brian Joubert, the French told him he would not have ice time for a month? And they give him no financial support? The French fed is ..... :dev2:

And he is very happy to be with Kori, Rohene, Vincent and the gang. Of course:) Bienvenue, Romain!

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Interesting that he listed Courtney in the list. I don't think she is officially 7K... yet. I think she is still a 7K stray cat. Which is is a term of affection if there was any doubt... we all have met that friendly cat that maybe has a home, but is always around so you let them visit, likely feed it, but keep saying "its not my cat it's a stray" even though the cat sleeps happily and welcomed in your yard. - This is the impression i get from Courtney and 7K. Not officially her home, but they like her, she likes them, so she keeps coming around and they keep welcoming her while saying "not our cat" just as many people do for stray cats.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Happy new year everybody! Here's hoping that Roman flourishes at 7K, Jordan recovers fully from his surgery, stray cat Courtney builds on her GP successes, and Jason and Mariah skate as gorgeously as we know they can!

And okay very OT but I really hope Carly and Gracie Gold both have a wonderful nationals!

ETA: Coach Vincent just posted a clip of the newest member of 7K:

https://instagram.com/p/_-nHaoCf_h/

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lots of cross-posting (by me:biggrin:) but of interest to 7k followers:

I frankly skimmed Romain's interview and did not see (thanks to Mia in the French skaters' thread) : he is planning on changing his LP for the Bavarian Open. More Rohene choreography, perhaps?