USFS Announces Three Withdrawals | Page 6 | Golden Skate

USFS Announces Three Withdrawals

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, they should probably be earlier but I think it is not very wise in terms of attendance to have them on the Christmas time (like Japan and Russia do) because people are usually having time with family and are probably unwilling to travel to see competitions or even watch them. A feasible solution would be to move the competition after the worlds, maybe.

SP start orders for Worlds are dependent on World ranking, which would include the points for Euros---but not for 4CC, which wouldn't be held until after Worlds. That would put the non-European skaters in later start groups than the Euro skaters---NOT an equitable solution, and furthermore it would further devaluate 4CC, so few skaters would bother to attend an event held not only after Worlds, but after WTT, at a time when most of the top skaters are headed out on tour. Few would be willing to give up tour $$ to attend 4CC.

temadd

Final Flight
Ashley doesn’t have to prove anything to anyone! The most decorated skater of the last ten years has to go to 4CC to prove her worth to whom?

You tell'em Georgia. No other US ladies skater has won a world or grand prix final medal in the past 11 years. We really should just let her have her outspoken Ashley moment. Athletes and coaches in pro sports call out bad officiating all the time.

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
SP start orders for Worlds are dependent on World ranking, which would include the points for Euros---but not for 4CC, which wouldn't be held until after Worlds. That would put the non-European skaters in later start groups than the Euro skaters---NOT an equitable solution, and furthermore it would further devaluate 4CC, so few skaters would bother to attend an event held not only after Worlds, but after WTT, at a time when most of the top skaters are headed out on tour. Few would be willing to give up tour $$ to attend 4CC.

Here are really some points to think about. But if they get precious points for WTT, why the USA federation don't take it more serious?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes, I do. It's a major international assignment, even if does not have the prestige of the Olympics or Worlds. It's not the US Classic.

Ross has many longtime fans (including you) and many newly won fans (including me) who would have loved to see him accept the Fed's appointment and represent Team USA one more time.

It is possible to think USFSA screwed him, and also to think he should have proudly been a part of Team USA at 4CC.

My heart hears what you say, and agrees, but my head is telling me something different. I think he just wants out and he wants to go out on top of his game. Since being Nagasued, yes, he could take the 4CCs and maybe bomb and validate Tanith's words about people putting out the skate of their lives at nats and bombing at the Olys (next skate) . I dont want that for him. Yes, he might get his act together and do two great skates at 4CCs...but I dont think that would change his legacy much. I see much to loose and less to gain here for him. I would let skaters of the future have the experience and help team USA that way. I like 4CCs when I have seen it in the USA..its a fun competition.....but how many of the winners and loosers are remembered? Ross, today is the first day of the rest of your life.

lappo

Final Flight

That's absolutely true, I forgot about the correlations with the ranking and its consequences. My bad, thanks for pointing it! Still, I think more efforts should be made to accomodate 4CC better in the calendar and to make it a "cool" competition, possibly hosted not only by the big federations but also by the smaller ones.

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
I think the only time when it clashes so badly with other competitions is in the Oly year. The rest three years is still time till Worlds. Perhaps in Oly year, just move it after Worlds?

Ashley begged off 4CCs even in non-Olympic years, so the reasoning that time-frame isn't nearly as tight between 4CCs and Worlds enabling skaters to compete at both doesn't pertain to her mulit-year decisions not to do 4CCs.

Lipea

Final Flight
The last day of competition at Four Continents is Sat Jan 27.

The first day of the OWG team event is Fri Feb 9.

The gap is thirteen days. The two competitions are pretty darn close to each other.

The last day of competition at Euros is Sat Jan 20.
I know that. 13 days is not that small of a gap, plus most of skaters won't be there from the start of OG, unless they skate at the team event. Russian girls went to GPF and less than two weeks after were competing at Nationals successfully. In addition, it seems that there are more ice given at the competitions than wherever they are... at least Mishin did that with Liza Tuk, taking her to all possible champs, saying that this way she got more ice.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Few Olympic athletes want to miss the opening ceremonies, particularly those who are going to the Olympics for the first time. IIRC, just about all the US skaters attended the OCs back in 2014.

And 13 days IS a small gap, especially if much of it is wasted traveling back from 4CC with the concomitant jet lag, then a week or so at home, then another long journey back to Korea with more jet lag. A great deal of practice time is lost because of travel and jet lag. No US Olympians will be competing at 4CC for that reason, and I doubt if any of the Canadian Olympians will be there, either.

Maybe European Olympic competitors would prefer that US and Canadian Olympians should go to 4CC and lose lots and lots of practice time, but sorry, that's just not going to happen. :biggrin:

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I think people are looking for something where there is nothing. This isn't some giant middle finger to USFS. Ashley never does 4cc and as first alternate the timeline is pretty close. As for Ross, I'm sure he has his reasons.

If a skater's heart really isn't in a competition then the graceful thing to do is bow out so another skater can take their place. I'm sure Grant and Angela are glad for the opportunity.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
^ It is interesting that Jason, who is also first alternate for the Olympics, has opted to compete at 4CC. Although Jason has done back-to-back competitions before (see the two back-to-back senior Bs in the fall of 2016 and doing a senior B right after doing Skate America in 2015), so it's not as foreign as a concept.

mintx

On the Ice
I think Jason likes to compete in Asia, it's a good reason to keep in shape while waiting to see if he will get a call. He may also want redemption for some of his free skates this season.

He has to know that he may get a call for worlds, often some of the Olympic competitors miss Worlds. Espically if they medal.

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
Few Olympic athletes want to miss the opening ceremonies, particularly those who are going to the Olympics for the first time. IIRC, just about all the US skaters attended the OCs back in 2014.

chuckm , this truly puzzles me. Why would they want to go to the OC and how are they even allowed? Especially with the team event pushing foreard their competition schedule?

I know for summer OG’s, the US female gymnasts are banned from partaking due to their competition being pretty much first up. A lot of athletes from other sports choose to forgo it in order to save their legs for their events, especially if they’re in the first week. The standing around and waiting, the long time on their feet seems to be the biggest fear.

I’ve competed at multi sport events and the thought of even being coughed on made me shudder. Given that my coaches were also recommending that I minimise standing in every day life (talk about an excuse to be waited on! ;) ) - I have no idea how the skaters would risk the toll on their bodies.

Do you know if the winter ceremony is organised differently? Do they have different waiting conditions before the march out due to the extreme weather, stuff like that?

ice coverage

Record Breaker

chuckm , this truly puzzles me. Why would they want to go to the OC and how are they even allowed? Especially with the team event pushing foreard their competition schedule? ...

Do you know if the winter ceremony is organised differently? Do they have different waiting conditions before the march out due to the extreme weather, stuff like that?

I remember for sure that in 2014, Ashley Wagner and D/W gave priority to their next-day responsibilities for the team competition -- and did not participate in the Sochi OC. (I do not remember for sure whether the same was true for Castelli/Shnapir.)
The day after the OC, Ashley skated the team SP, D/W skated the team SD, and C/S skated the team FS. Two days after the OC, D/W skated the team FD.

Jason and Gracie participated in the OC, and competed in the team free skates two days later.

(I believe Polina was the only Team USA figure skater who was not in Sochi at the time of the OC? I think she was at the Team USA training site in Germany?)

Nigel

On the Ice
Opening ceremonies info :

"Organizers of winter games prepare for harsh cold at open-air PyeongChang Olympic Stadium"

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...open-air-pyeongchang-olympic-stadium/70003817

"The 2018 Winter Olympics will officially begin on Feb. 9 in PyeongChang, South Korea, and this year’s winter games are expected to feature frigid air that could endanger spectators at outdoor venues.
The bone-chilling cold of the Taebaek Mountains, where many of the contests will be held, has been a source of contention and worry for Olympic organizers in the lead-up to the competitions.
PyeongChang Olympic Stadium is an open-air facility that was built without a roof to save time and money, although organizers had requested a roof, Reuters reported. In November, six people reportedly suffered from hypothermia while attending a concert at the stadium.
To help address the issue, officials in South Korea have arranged to provide each spectator at the Olympics ceremonies with a small blanket, rain coats and heating pads. A crowd of 35,000 is anticipated for the opening ceremony.
The stadium, the games’ primary venue which will host the opening and closing ceremonies, is also being equipped with wind shields to help keep athletes and spectators warm. The polycarbonate fence is 3.5 meters high (11.5 feet) and 510 meters (1,673 feet) long. "

I suspect number of the athletes will make decisions the day of the event depending on the weather, as to if they will march in the OC.

heyang

Record Breaker
Do Alternates to the Oly team go to Pyeongchang? I saw a promo for Team USA and Jason was talking about what in Korea he was most looking forward to (awkward). I didn't think they did (Emily Hughes didn't initially) but that video confused me, unless it was recorded before Nationals.

EDIT: By alternates going to Pyeongchang, I mean if they aren't called up do they go anyway?

I don't think they go as Team USA. Michelle Kwan went in 1994 as 1st alternate but that was because there were real concerns about whether or not Tonya would remain on Team USA or not. She didn't participate but I think the US sent her just in case.

If an alternate does attend, I presume it's at their own expense. Most would prefer to save that money for training etc.

heyang

Record Breaker
Opening ceremonies info :

"Organizers of winter games prepare for harsh cold at open-air PyeongChang Olympic Stadium"

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...open-air-pyeongchang-olympic-stadium/70003817

"The 2018 Winter Olympics will officially begin on Feb. 9 in PyeongChang, South Korea, and this year’s winter games are expected to feature frigid air that could endanger spectators at outdoor venues.
The bone-chilling cold of the Taebaek Mountains, where many of the contests will be held, has been a source of contention and worry for Olympic organizers in the lead-up to the competitions.
PyeongChang Olympic Stadium is an open-air facility that was built without a roof to save time and money, although organizers had requested a roof, Reuters reported. In November, six people reportedly suffered from hypothermia while attending a concert at the stadium.
To help address the issue, officials in South Korea have arranged to provide each spectator at the Olympics ceremonies with a small blanket, rain coats and heating pads. A crowd of 35,000 is anticipated for the opening ceremony.
The stadium, the games’ primary venue which will host the opening and closing ceremonies, is also being equipped with wind shields to help keep athletes and spectators warm. The polycarbonate fence is 3.5 meters high (11.5 feet) and 510 meters (1,673 feet) long. "

I suspect number of the athletes will make decisions the day of the event depending on the weather, as to if they will march in the OC.

The pairs skaters usually don't participate in opening ceremonies since they start competing the next day, regardless of weather. Based upon Michelle's post Torino interview, she said that she probably shouldn't have gone to opening ceremonies due to sitting on such a long flight and then all the standing around in the cold not being great for her hip.... and of course the risk of catching cold/flu (i.e. Caryn Kadavy withdrew before her free skate because she developed flu after the short program)

I do think most will attend the Opening Ceremonies as it is such an exciting event and most won't necessarily participate in more than one Olympics.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The Team Event factors in here...I think in 2014, Wagner and a couple other skaters who had to compete the next day skipped the OC in favor of preparation.

Again, this year, the Team Figure Skating event starts on the day of the OC and continues on for another 2-3 days I believe.