Virtue and Moir: Revamped Free Dance | Golden Skate

Virtue and Moir: Revamped Free Dance

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir performed their powerhouse "Moulin Rouge" free dance to win their eighth Canadian Championship with a total score of 209.82. The duo was unflappable throughout the competition, setting record scores, pulling +3 GOEs (Grades of Execution) and picking up perfect component scores like an eager kid on an Easter egg hunt.

More...

“This is more triumphant in a way,” Virtue said of the changes to the program’s feeling in which Virtue’s character, Satine, comes to her death. “Our love story gets to linger a little bit longer and there is more depth to it, but there is still some sort of heartbreak in the end and there is still some desperation.”

Even at this point in the season, Virtue is committed to the authenticity of her portrayal of the character’s death, even if dying at the end of an Olympic figure skating performance is common.

“I am not sure we are showcasing death in the same way,” said Virtue, “that can just be a dramatic end pose. I am not sure that needs to be told in the same way. Of course, that first more subtle end was more close to our hearts and what we had as a vision when we started this season, but as a natural evolution, it is really fun to play with a different and more theatrical side and a bigger ending. It’s a different energy to dive into.”

What do you think of the changes?

They left .18 on the table...:biggrin:
https://twitter.com/goldenskate/status/952329093101572098

Last edited:
I think the changes will play better to the Olympic audience and to the judges, even though Tessa says that the first version was closer to her heart. (To tell the truth, the changes are so subtle I can't really be sure that I noticed them. ;) )

Anyway, Virtue and Moir accomplished what they came for to set up the big showdown in PyeongChang Their Original Dance is their ace in the hole.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I think the changes will play better to the Olympic audience and to the judges, even though Tessa says that the first version was closer to her heart. (To tell the truth, the changes are so subtle I can't really be sure that I noticed them. ;) )

Anyway, Virtue and Moir accomplished what they came for to set up the big showdown in PyeongChang Their Original Dance is their ace in the hole.

:unsure:

Did you miss the end of their FD? No subtlety in that.

Latremu

Final Flight
I like the previous version more than the new one. This new one ends too abruptly, and there's more drama now in the second half. The previous one had the dramatic first half (he's grabbing her, she keeps pushing him away and running from him), and the more sorrowful / softer 2nd half (where she eventually dies and he mourns) to contrast with the first half. Now there's more drama throughout, then he's just about to mourn- suddenly, it's all over. Also, I had to sing "until the end of time" after the program ended at "I love you". Complete the line, darn it! Don't raise the hackles on my OC-ness by not completing song lines!

Anyway, despite Scott's stumble during the GPF, I liked that performance better than Nationals (even if the scores indicate that the judges disagree). I also felt that they skated faster- more in time to the music- in GPF, especially during the first half, more than at Nationals.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think as an olympic program the changes are helpful for their quest. Artistically I liked the first version. But I see more points with thechanges and it should improve with a month.

I will say this; I think the challenge is that it is an apple versus orange situation. V and M are able to do so many styles well. I just think the judges prefer the French FD. Yes, those in the know will admit p/c do what they do best. It, arguably or inarguably has limited rangeBUT that does not matter as the judges or judging the one program - not the fact it is similar in vibe to most of the other program.

I admit Gabby has improved alot but I do findher skating skills are not of the same level and p/c technically and pc wise should be lower but the challenge is some people will like the style choice of p/c(I do) and give marks for that whether they know it or not.

If I were judging as an oly event and assuming no major errors I think Virtue and Moir deserve to win both programs -a bigger lead in the SD.

If I were picking what I like - I prefer the FD of P/C! I just think the judges like the more classical approach of p/c. Strategically V/M took a huge risk with M/R and they are so good they are competitive but you can tell the judges want to reward the warhorse,theclassical

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
There should be no Olympic competition if the judges just want to award one style or selection of music. Just have everyone upload their .mp3 files online and they can choose. Like who needs twizzles? Bust that classical warhorse CD out and get picking. May the best selection win.

On 2nd thought, that sounds more like a lottery and less like a figure skating competition. :biggrin:

With all the complaints about the ending I think this one is more audience appealing.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
The ending is much better than before. Instead of ending with the bitterness of death, it ends with love everlasting despite death. Beyond that, the last choreo lift is far more rousing and uplifting.

Leppis

On the Ice
The ending is much better than before. Instead of ending with the bitterness of death, it ends with love everlasting despite death. Beyond that, the last choreo lift is far more rousing and uplifting.

Yes, it will get the crowd to their feet. Smart move from them to change the ending and shows that they are not taking anything for granted.

Bcash

Final Flight
This is a more crowd-pleasing ending for sure. And they did look sharper throughout the program.
It's still wide open at the Olympics. I just hope the judges won't prejudge the BRONZE medal...

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
For me, the thing is with the FD that this is their own choice of preference, their own risk taken - and their crux of responsibility, 'ownership' to bear and lift up not only to their own expectations, but also to expectations of those who will evaluate it as a competitive program. They may have had the conviction to the idea, the vision of how it should look like, but the most important thing was to balance out this desire with tools/technical ways to design it into actual program that will work - they searched for the best 'angle' to present the story, the program for the whole season I am glad to see that they seemed to find that 'perfect fit' to accommodate everything they wanted, that they felt comfortable with changes made - and it showed in the performance quality.

Speaking of performance itself, I think it was important for them to find a way to project equally strongly the edgy and lyrical sides of the program and to end it with more impact, with more 'lasting, high-note effect' - changes they've done gave the program more space to breathe and more subtle touch to the transition between two parts of the dance, both still being inside this theatrical convention, bold/vivid way of expression/presentation, yet feeling more intimate, accentuating more closeness between them than loudness of the music/theme chosen like previously I think.

The re-worked ending is kind of the biggest surprise for me, because to be honest I expected more to mix it back to 'Tango el Roxanne' part, generally to add more pace and edge - yet they found a way to work out the best of 'Come what may' piece for them it seems. I very much like how the stress and focus point were transferred onto affection, emotional involvement, strength of emotions, culminating all of it together from the dramatism of this 'death' portrayed before - the ending sequence was good, choreographed well for the purpose of an ending pose and musical accents previously and I liked it, but in more universal sense it lacked the 'punch' given by the first Tango part and created not enough impact in terms of reception (i.e. the 'flatness', one-note sense of the ending kind of derogated all work done for the first part and was just too abrupt based on opinions). They took a risk (again) and for me made this ending sequence more theatrical, more picturesque, more 'approachable' in emotional sense and plain more positive - and it really worked well for the purpose of elevating the program altogether in my opinion.

The overall work done on this FD proves that they were willing to give themselves a chance with this polarizing concept and music, when a lot of others around seemed to give them none of that and refused to give any credit for the program - this alone for me is very impressive after all these years of competition and how different in approach comparing this to 2013/14 material and road with it. I am happy for their confidence and belief expressed at Nationals in their material, probably in the most convincing way they could possibly done it.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker

Though I like the old tragic ending more because I think it is more cinematic and the program looks more sophisticated and complete if it ends that way, this new big ending also works very well and it indeed will work better at the Olympics. This new ending is grand, glorious and redemptive. Art transcends death.

eriecold

On the Ice
The overall work done on this FD proves that they were willing to give themselves a chance with this polarizing concept and music, when a lot of others around seemed to give them none of that and refused to give any credit for the program - this alone for me is very impressive after all these years of competition and how different in approach comparing this to 2013/14 material and road with it. I am happy for their confidence and belief expressed at Nationals in their material, probably in the most convincing way they could possibly done it.

Beautiful comment all the way around. As for this last part, I think it was their only chance. Only by reinventing themselves and taking huge risks are they to be considered for gold and not just a locked silver.

Read somewhere that GC said that, because it was olys, they had gone back to their own style and were not taking any risks, and it made me upset. They're increasing the level of performance and their FD will be amazing, but at the end of the day, it's an improved version of 2015 and they're placing themselves on the "don't take risks, the gold is ours to lose" band, instead of the "don't take anything for granted, we need to innovate to win gold" one. I much prefer the second.

In any case, we're all set up for an incredible show at olys with at least 10 teams worthy of gold in 2006

anyanka

Record Breaker
The new music edit / cut really made the program build to a crescendo. The music swelled, the elements dazzled, they were gorgeous. We all swooned in the arena on Saturday.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Read somewhere that GC said that, because it was olys, they had gone back to their own style and were not taking any risks, and it made me upset. They're increasing the level of performance and their FD will be amazing, but at the end of the day, it's an improved version of 2015 and they're placing themselves on the "don't take risks, the gold is ours to lose" band, instead of the "don't take anything for granted, we need to innovate to win gold" one. I much prefer the second.

Easier and more appropriate to take the risky approach when you already have a gold medal in the bag. P/C's approach is appropriate for a team gunning for their first gold.

johnsmith72

On the Ice
Just watched their new free dance... it's so improved. The reedited music cut for "come what may" make the second part of the dance not a let down. Before, the song's verses were cut, and the climax resolved much too quickly into the sad piano music for Tessa's death scene. The new ending helps make the "come what may" section equal to their riveting tango section :thumbsup:

sarama

Medalist
The new ending is more pleasant and engaging to watch....perfect for the Olympics. The old ending is for us die-hard fans, to watch on loop in a couple of moths while ugly crying and sipping hot cocoa