What The Fabric Costume Award | Page 5 | Golden Skate

What The Fabric Costume Award

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
I'd like to nominate Jana Khokhlova for the career award, although it will be hard to beat Weir, especially since it has to be considered that being a woman in ice dance makes it easier to have outstanding costumes. Anyway, she has given too much to the figure skating world to not be considered.

russias-jana-khokhlova-and-sergei-novitski-perform-their-original-dance-during-the-ice-dance.jpg

df97fbdca3b0a2d2183561f016773d1f

Jana_KHOKHLOVA_Sergei_NOVITSKI_EC_2009_OD.jpg

Or, on a second thought, maybe it should be Novitsky?

russias-jana-khokhlova-and-sergei-novitski-perform-their-free-dance-at-the-scandinavium-arena-in.jpg

I nominate them both.
definitely approved, what's his name?

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I'd like to nominate Jana Khokhlova for the career award, although it will be hard to beat Weir, especially since it has to be considered that being a woman in ice dance makes it easier to have outstanding costumes. Anyway, she has given too much to the figure skating world to not be considered.

russias-jana-khokhlova-and-sergei-novitski-perform-their-original-dance-during-the-ice-dance.jpg

russias-jana-khokhlova-and-sergei-novitski-perform-their-free-dance-at-the-scandinavium-arena-in.jpg

I nominate them both.
:ot:, but I'd like to nominate the first picture, the fuchsia one, for Accidentally Vulgar Skating Photo of the Year.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I’d like to nominate Emily Chan & Spencer Howe’s Elvis… love her dress and kind of like the shirt too but it drew some comment..

IMG_3035.jpeg

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My understanding (I solicit the judge's feedback)

1. The awards are for this past season.

(Lifetime awards are considered later).

2. The awards are for costumes that in their totality are WTF. As in, WTF was that??? Made you look!:D

3. The awards are not for most beautiful costume, although I think we could set up a separate award for that. Both lifetime and past season.

4. The awards are not for offensive or ugly costumes. They are for WTF costumes. Like Anthony Paradis. A mishmash of fabrics, styles, colors, gloves and whatever that at first shocks, but somehow works.

Judges, did I get this right?:biggrin:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Off topic: I've thought about making a beautiful costume award thread, but I did not want to take the attention from this amazing one... But if there's interest I will make one.
As long as the thread title makes it clear that every opinion is a personal one, then fine by me. The "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" principle. I tend to notice first whether parts of a costume are potential hazards to the skater, or to a partner in pairs or dance. If I think something about it is dangerous, then for me it wouldn't matter how pretty the fabric is or how lovely the elaborate beadwork is, I won't like the costume.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
(Lifetime awards are considered later).
This year’s lifetime award is for a body of work.

Later on we will likely have a look back at past years to nominate older costumes for the Hall of Fame (we have not created that yet as it involves decades of costumes and will be a major undertaking). Let us work out the bugs in our first year before tackling such a large entry, please.

3. The awards are not for most beautiful costume, although I think we could set up a separate award for that. Both lifetime and past season.
sorry, we're not looking for standard beauty here, you should know per @elektra blue

Per @labgoat - That would have about a bazillion entries and be impossible to judge. I don’t think either of us have the stamina for such an endeavour. Imagine how many difficult eliminations there would be, how many friends would we lose. Again let us consider that for a future project once we work out the bugs on this one. It likely would be a separate contest and @icewhite has expressed an interest:

Off topic: I've thought about making a beautiful costume award thread, but I did not want to take the attention from this amazing one... But if there's interest I will make one.

My friend, get helpers as this is a crazy big idea and the fights will be long and bitter. All the battles past and present will likely be refought as Battle of the Costumes. It could get real ugly. I could help making charts but would not want to judge this - too many fan wars with fans blinded by their favorites.

Last edited:

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I nominate them both.
Accepted - they have a body of work and are recognized still years after their amateur careers ended.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd like to nominate Madison Chock for the career award.

The Snake

The Alien

At this time there is not a career award for beautiful costumes. The potential list is larger than we can handle for our first try. There are decades of beautiful costumes, it could take weeks to compile entries and would need several elimination rounds.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At this time there is not a career award for beautiful costumes. The potential list is larger than we can handle for our first try. There are decades of beautiful costumes, it could take weeks to compile entries and would need several elimination rounds.
The would likely need to be several considerations - beading, originality, styles, fabric, themes, interpretations. Adaptions of theatrical costumes would likely be discouraged as they are not original concepts.