What The Fabric Costume Award | Page 7 | Golden Skate

What The Fabric Costume Award

icewhite

Record Breaker
And yet, and yet... my hero, for who FS purists spent years criticising and damning his costumes (I do recall someone claiming they would actually prevent him from ever winning major awards) is now a Gucci ambassador - who would have predicted that 8-10 years ago? - and both his and Shoma's sparkly spectaculars are regularly in exhibitions and dearly loved. So maybe we should be a leeeetle cautious in lowering the fashion boom lest the future lowers it on us... Nah. Where's the fun in that?

Back to the subject at hand, this year's costumes, I don't think there were any that will be shoved into the WTF Hall of Fame in the future, and even the worst (that black and canary suit on one of the juniors, Jacob Sanchez?) are really rather... restrained. Except Anthony. I love Anthony.

I also thought of Sanchez.

But in general I cannot really come up with better suggestions than those that have already been made. I feel the winners have already been named. Of course I did not watch all competitions and there might be lesser known outfits somebody will still nominate, but I think from the bigger competitions the real wtf outfits have been named.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I also thought of Sanchez.

But in general I cannot really come up with better suggestions than those that have already been made. I feel the winners have already been named. Of course I did not watch all competitions and there might be lesser known outfits somebody will still nominate, but I think from the bigger competitions the real wtf outfits have been named.
Oh I agree, it has been a good year for costumes (if not such a good one for wtfness :laugh:)

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I'd like to nominate Nikita Starotsin for the Camp category, for this year's costumes (before he toned them down...) I'm on my way to work so can't upload a relevant photo. Hopefully someone can !

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'd like to nominate Nikita Starotsin for the Camp category, for this year's costumes (before he toned them down...) I'm on my way to work so can't upload a relevant photo. Hopefully someone can !
(Apologies for the spamming, I've done my leg a damage, as my great-aunt would say, and am distracting myself) There are two of his on the first page of the thread, both eye-popping :clap: is one of them the one you mean? There's also this
gettyimages-2095554275-612x612.jpg

Last edited:

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
(Apologies for the spamming, I've done my leg a damage, as my great-aunt would say, and am distracting myself) There are two of his on the first page of the thread, both eye-popping :clap: is one of them the one you mean? There's also this
View attachment 7988
Thanks so much! I missed the reference to Nikita on the first page of the thread, and was therefore confounded that he hadn't been mentioned!. This costume (above) is also a beauty. I suspect Nikita will soon be contending for a Hall of Fame award.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Thanks so much! I missed the reference to Nikita on the first page of the thread, and was therefore confounded that he hadn't been mentioned!. This costume (above) is also a beauty. I suspect Nikita will soon be contending for a Hall of Fame award.
He is one of those who is unafraid to follow his own path, and I do rather love it :clap:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
But Yuzu's costumes weren't garish, just very sparkly. Ank ok, the one with the fills was terrible.
some of them were nice but the extra fabric ones for me were too much... the one that fans called salad was particularly not to my taste.
And Shoma has rhe most beautiful costumes.
Agreed
But the Russian ice dancers just looked bad
there seems to be a huge tradition of awful costumes in Russian ice dance. I think many teams could get lifetime achievements awards
. Flappy fabric everywhere and random cutouts.
if it were only that ;) they also had weird prints, weird concepts, over the top characterization.... it never ends... I haven't followed Russian skating since they no longer compete on the main circuit, so I'd be curious to see how this has evolved ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
my lifetime achievement nomination or what you call Hall of Shame career award... Misato.

ETA : I realize that with Johnny Weir and Jana and Sergei already nominated, Misato has no chance to win ;)

this one could have been fine... but why the red at the most awkward place... no... https://youtu.be/KdiY1qwlPo0?si=eN17aAFHBPO4E4V1

Misato is even guilty with previous partner.... Andrea Fabbri

and finally

Last edited:

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
he's been nominated already for both Disco Inferno and Backstreet Boys :biggrin:

----------------

speaking of russians, i did take notes during the season, but being my head a wonderful place filled with chaos i also lost them :ROFLMAO:. @yume @Mariott @EdgeCall @Mariiiiskate i nee dyour help here, @icewhite you too :biggrin: some dancers deserve to be here

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Some juniors
Most Camp Award

(I kind of like this one)

Candidate Best BLING
This is awesome!

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Some juniors
Most Camp Award

(I kind of like this one)

Candidate Best BLING
This is awesome!

Sofia doesn't fit the requirement (i'd wear that if i were her age btw :biggrin:) Semen has his nomination already, Olesya is wearing a nice tutu it's kind of extra, but to me lack the WTF factor, Emilio is wearing a mariachi inspired costume, it's sparkling and a bit of extra but not WTF factor either :biggrin: i accept Olivia and Eva's nominations

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Sofia doesn't fit the requirement (i'd wear that if i were her age btw :biggrin:) Semen has his nomination already, Olesya is wearing a nice tutu it's kind of extra, but to me lack the WTF factor, Emilio is wearing a mariachi inspired costume, it's sparkling and a bit of extra but not WTF factor either :biggrin: i accept Olivia and Eva's nominations

I agree with your judgement on most of these assessments.

But why did you jump to thinking that Eva's costume was the nominee? I quite liked it. I thought Ivan's costume was more likely to be the nominee.

@elbkup - could you clarify?

CaroLiza_fan

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
This is why I wanted to make doubly sure juniors were included; costumes tend to be creative but not as expensive looking except for those juniors who are further along in their competitive life bordering on senior.

I qualified Eva’s costume by saying just below that I kind of liked it too. It is appropriately folksy; mixing patterns is to my taste but not to others so I included it.

Sofia’s reminded me a lot of Diana Davis’ RD costume.. which I like. It was cute but did not seem to fit the music. Her FS dress was lovely.

I nominated Emilio’s costume for a BLING award (if there is even such a thing!) I thought it was great.. perhaps not as bright as a senior outfit might be but a WOW effort.. his skating is strong too even with mistakes. Will watch him with interest next year.

Olesya is tiny and such a powerful young performer I felt the tutu while appropriate for the music could have measured up to her strengths a bit more…adore her Michael Jackson outfit for example

Does this clarify things a bit more?🤩