What The Fabric Costume Award | Page 8 | Golden Skate

What The Fabric Costume Award

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How could I forget Misha? I unapologetically adored his costumes.

Then again, as he became more “serious”, I said more than once on the Forum that I missed pink haired Misha. And I did:drama:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not sure if there's a brutal costume category or if this one has been mentioned. I always liked Taka, so no disrespect meant to him. It's pretty bad though when a whole article is written about your costume, and not in a good way. I saw this one live and joined in with the majority in saying "What WAS that?!" Kinda looked like part rug, part bear skin? part I-don't-know-what? Floaty-y things hangin' all over!
(from Skate America 2015)

Last edited:

Mariott

Now the flower is making its way through concrete
Record Breaker
Country
Russia
he's been nominated already for both Disco Inferno and Backstreet Boys :biggrin:

----------------

speaking of russians, i did take notes during the season, but being my head a wonderful place filled with chaos i also lost them :ROFLMAO:. @yume @Mariott @EdgeCall @Mariiiiskate i nee dyour help here, @icewhite you too :biggrin: some dancers deserve to be here
Shanaeva`s disco ball dress? :rolleye:

I specialize in boys, comrade.

I actually have two candidates among the boys that I have doubts about. The holy-book-angel costume for Andrei (love it, but everyone thought it was weird) and Petr's Malevich-Kandinsky costume. It's a reference to iconic cultural phenomena, but they're both overdone. I'm always for concepts, though, and Andrei really liked the blue color of his book cover.

And here's something I can't forgive at all and would gladly nominate in the worst costume category.

z4s_Tba3XKs.jpg

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
This is why I wanted to make doubly sure juniors were included; costumes tend to be creative but not as expensive looking except for those juniors who are further along in their competitive life bordering on senior.

I qualified Eva’s costume by saying just below that I kind of liked it too. It is appropriately folksy; mixing patterns is to my taste but not to others so I included it.

Sofia’s reminded me a lot of Diana Davis’ RD costume.. which I like. It was cute but did not seem to fit the music. Her FS dress was lovely.

I nominated Emilio’s costume for a BLING award (if there is even such a thing!) I thought it was great.. perhaps not as bright as a senior outfit might be but a WOW effort.. his skating is strong too even with mistakes. Will watch him with interest next year.

Olesya is tiny and such a powerful young performer I felt the tutu while appropriate for the music could have measured up to her strengths a bit more…adore her Michael Jackson outfit for example

Does this clarify things a bit more?🤩

Thanks for the reply. I just questioned it because, when there are two people in the photo / video, it is not always clear just who is being nominated - the girl, the boy, or both.

In this case, I liked Eva's costume, but I didn't like Ivan's. But, other people may think differently.

Everybody's taste is different. And that is the way it should be. The world would be a very boring place if everybody liked and didn't like the same things.

CaroLiza_fan

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
some of them were nice but the extra fabric ones for me were too much... the one that fans called salad was particularly not to my taste.

Agreed

there seems to be a huge tradition of awful costumes in Russian ice dance. I think many teams could get lifetime achievements awards

if it were only that ;) they also had weird prints, weird concepts, over the top characterization.... it never ends... I haven't followed Russian skating since they no longer compete on the main circuit, so I'd be curious to see how this has evolved ;)
There's a huge tradition of awful costumes in Russian pairs, too - especially for the men - the costumiers seem to favour outfits so bland and ill-fitting that they can make a highly trained athlete's physique look like a sack of dough

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
On another thread I was reminded of someone who may be nominated for Hall of Fame, especially as his wtf constumes are still actually wonderful fun - Misha Ge? :)
View attachment 7989View attachment 7990View attachment 7991
Misha deserves a nomination, do you remember the face costume? :biggrin:
Not sure if there's a brutal costume category or if this one has been mentioned. I always liked Taka, so no disrespect meant to him. It's pretty bad though when a whole article is written about your costume, and not in a good way. I saw this one live and joined in with the majority in saying "What WAS that?!" Kinda looked like part rug, part bear skin? part I-don't-know-what? Floaty-y things hangin' all over!
Takahito deserves a nomination too :biggrin:
Shanaeva`s disco ball dress? :rolleye:

I specialize in boys, comrade.

I actually have two candidates among the boys that I have doubts about. The holy-book-angel costume for Andrei (love it, but everyone thought it was weird) and Petr's Malevich-Kandinsky costume. It's a reference to iconic cultural phenomena, but they're both overdone. I'm always for concepts, though, and Andrei really liked the blue color of his book cover.

And here's something I can't forgive at all and would gladly nominate in the worst costume category.

z4s_Tba3XKs.jpg
boys are fine, comrade, as a matter of fact there're more WTF costume in men than in women (unless we're talking about dance). Shanaeva's tin foil bikini cover deserves a nomination i think, what my fellow judges think? also Mozalev's illuminated codex costume (even though as medieval historian i love it to the moon and back) is borderline WTF. is this last photo from an exhibition? exhibitions are not included, only competition costumes

icewhite

Record Breaker
Misha deserves a nomination, do you remember the face costume? :biggrin:

Takahito deserves a nomination too :biggrin:

boys are fine, comrade, as a matter of fact there're more WTF costume in men than in women (unless we're talking about dance). Shanaeva's tin foil bikini cover deserves a nomination i think, what my fellow judges think? also Mozalev's illuminated codex costume (even though as medieval historian i love it to the moon and back) is borderline WTF. is this last photo from an exhibition? exhibitions are not included, only competition costumes

I actually think the disco ball dress is really good (as in not worthy of this award).
I also would not award Mozalev's book costume.

Semenenko's crane costume would definitely be worthy if it was allowed. That fabric is just wildly hanging around.
But I still have hopes that in 10 years he will be a candidate for the career award.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

My goodness! That is bad!

Oh. My. Goodness. :jaw:

I never knew CyBC showed figure skating once upon a time! 😲

I wonder if that is Andreas Georgiades commentating. He had been a sports journalist for CyBC for about 40 years when he became president of the Cyprus Skating Federation.

Come on, that's not fair. Seeing Sasha skating in her bra rather than her nightie shows that she can be versatile, and is not a one-trick pony after all...

:devil:

CaroLiza_fan

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Come on, that's not fair. Seeing Sasha skating in her bra rather than her nightie shows that she can be versatile, and is not a one-trick pony after all...
She did add tight pants... Honestly I thought it went well with their music and really deserved to be seen for the novelty

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I need to have some fun here as I am working 13 hours and with the last half of my day learning new software Yikes! I am going to take a long nap and fresh shower before going in today.

Last edited: