Which man will win (and medal) at Worlds? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Which man will win (and medal) at Worlds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I would like Boyang to win Worlds :) But I think the podium will most likely be Shoma - Nathan - Boyang :)

somelikeitpink

On the Ice
God I hope Boyang gets out of the constant Words-Bronze streak and wins this thing. I love both his programs this year so much.

Ideally my podium will be
1. Boyang
2. Shoma
3. Nathan

I have a feeling though that Nathan will do everything to get this with the olys being so botched up for him. Buuuut we also saw what can happen if he "tries everything" so who knows.

I'll be rooting for Boyang though in milan :)

Plumededragon

Medalist
My ideal podium would be:
1- Boyang
2- Shoma
3- Kolyada/Dmitri
Boyang also has a shot at gold, I only hope he’s fully healthy. I know some people are confused by the music cut in his FS, but they should go watch videos like the Piano Guys Star Wars vidéo (called Cello Wars) on YT and they’d understand the humor touch in this program more. :laugh:
I know the bronze is quite unlikely, but you can never know what will happen in a competition. The Russian men could have a shot, but obviously they need to be very clean.
I think while top 3 is more likely between Boyang, Shoma and Nathan, we can also be in for big surprises. :)

shine

Record Breaker
All the criticism of Chen hype yet it is Jin who is getting most wishing to win gold here.....and somehow that is not hype, LOL.. People complain about the hype on Chen, yet people on this board are far more friendly to the likes of Jin and Shoma than they are to Chen IMO.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I'm for Boyang, Nathan, and Shoma. I'll take any order. I'm just hoping for a well fought competition and some Olympic redemption. I am assuming here that Yuzu won't compete.

My problem is I love them all!

somelikeitpink

On the Ice
All the criticism of Chen hype yet it is Jin who is getting most wishing to win gold here.....and somehow that is not hype, LOL.. People complain about the hype on Chen, yet people on this board are far more friendly to the likes of Jin and Shoma than they are to Chen IMO.

I mean I can just say that for me personally Boyang just has a slight edge in his artistic ability. His programs feel more connected to me. Which isn't Nathans fault as such but I really dislike his programms whenever he tries to add more quads cause they just loose out on .. well anything that isn't a jump.

RobinA

On the Ice
Yay, Yay! Go for it Boyang. You were superb at 4cc, just not yet good enough at the Olympics but pretty close. I sincerely hope you get a medal of a different colour than at the last two WCs. I am also vouching for Shoma and Nathan (I love their abilities), but after the mostly negligence of the American press, the nasty remarks about his Pcs - especially SS - please prove them all wrong and get that S or even G medal. The media have turned me into a big fan due to their unfair negativism. I know he's more of a jumper than anyone but his artistry has improved so much in one season. And...eh..he sounds like a lot of fun as a person. Like with Javi and Yuru, that last is important too!

Agree about the media. I was never a huge Chen fan due to his greater emphasis on jumping, although he seems like a nice guy. Although I am more of a Shoma fan out of the three, if Chen wins I will not be upset, just because of the bad stuff that has been said about him. Yes, let's gang up on a teenager. Very sportsmanlike.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Nathan if he can do a decent short has the quads to win. He does NOT need to even skate as well in the fs as he did at the olympic. The odds are Hanyu, Shoma or Boyang will make errors for Chen to at least podium Chen while not necessarily the run away fave is definitely a force to be reckon with.

LucyH

On the Ice
No idea what the order will be but I think the medalists will be Boyang, Shoma and Nathan in any such order although secretly I'm hoping that Boyang because would it be so cool for Asian FS if the first man from China win the World FS Championships? I know there were Asian skaters that were great before Hanyu but he was a trail blazer in the winning mentality! I love Shoma but my god isn't the cutest?!

Kittosuni

Medalist

i think the unrealistic hype for Chen in the Olympics unfortunately rubbed some people the wrong way and still too fresh to forget. It also doesnt sit well to some that he is being presented as a jumping bean rather than an all around skater.

media even went as far as naming him as revolutionizer of the sport because of his jumps but went ahead and tore down some skaters who had similar strategy.

But realistically speaking he already got the PCS boost and just need to land his jumps/ not even being perfect to win a medal.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
i think the unrealistic hype for Chen in the Olympics unfortunately rubbed some people the wrong way and still too fresh to forget. It also doesnt sit well to some that he is being presented as a jumping bean rather than an all around skater.

media even went as far as naming him as revolutionizer of the sport because of his jumps but went ahead and tore down some skaters who had similar strategy.

But realistically speaking he already got the PCS boost and just need to land his jumps/ not even being perfect to win a medal.

I don't think the hype was unrealistic. After all, he won the freeskate at the Olympics by a considerable margin over everyone else -- a margin that would have been good enough for gold (certainly the podium) if he'd had a clean short. The issue was that he didn't deliver in his SPs. Had he had the jumping consistency/ability shown in his Olympic FS in the short, the conversation would be very different.

I do agree though that there was a double standard depending on the media that was covering him, where American media hyped him up -- although it wasn't unfounded... especially after US nationals. A greater hype would have been Mirai or Karen or Bradie winning a medal because as the results turned out, it was an impossibility (even the clean programs from Bradie and Mirai in the team wouldn't have put them in contention).

Worlds will be between Uno, Jin and Chen, obviously. With a dark horse being Kolyada -- although I have a feeling it'll be similar to Worlds 2015 with the top 3 way ahead of everyone else.

I would actually love for Jin to win, but I think it'll be Uno or Chen (I'm gonna say Uno). Chen has the highest scoring potential but Uno is more reliable -- and has the highest season total of any skater.

1. Uno
2. Chen
3. Jin

eaglehelang

Final Flight
I reckon you haven't been at Olympics threads
In addition to the the American media hype, there were also forumers who said Nathan gifted Yuzuru the OG gold,amongst other stuff. Imagine, someone actually said the reigning OG and World champ was handed his 2nd gold by a teen.

That leaves a bad taste in the mouth for the rest of us. More so since we saw it coming miles ahead that possibility of Nathan winning gold is low from his track record at major competitions - Worlds 2017. Mental strength issues. Proven during the team SP.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
^I'll eat my words when Chen lives up to the lofty expectations demanded of him, which in this case going by the hype equates to multiple WCs and at least one OGM. I didn't eat the words I said a month ago, when I predicted he wouldn't end up a podium threat at Olympics while everyone else was stacking him atop their predictions.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chen wins and I do think he has good odds of winning. But would I bet on him based on probabilities? No. The hype machine I see going on around Chen is reminiscent of the Gracie Gold hype 4 years ago, except worse, and it was painful to watch what happened to Gracie.

Does anyone think that Vincent Zhou might surprise everyone and contend for the podium?

Danibellerika

Medalist
I reckon you haven't been at Olympics threads
In addition to the the American media hype, there were also forumers who said Nathan gifted Yuzuru the OG gold,amongst other stuff. Imagine, someone actually said the reigning OG and World champ was handed his 2nd gold by a teen.

That leaves a bad taste in the mouth for the rest of us. More so since we saw it coming miles ahead that possibility of Nathan winning gold is low from his track record at major competitions - Worlds 2017. Mental strength issues. Proven during the team SP.

Being the Sasha Cohen uber I was, I had to learn the hard way that there are TWO phases of a competition (and even some qualification rounds back in the day) and you never count those chickens before they hatch. If I put my blinders on I can pretend she has a couple national titles, an OGM, OBM, and a couple of world titles too! But that's not reality. Think Shizuka cares that she didn't win both phases for her World and Olympic titles? Didn't look like it to me on those days...

eriecold

On the Ice
Does anyone think that Vincent Zhou might surprise everyone and contend for the podium?

yes. Specially with al these quad hype. He has it tough with the 3 expected ones, plus the 2 Russians (specially Aliev, not expecting that much from Kolyada). But he's definitely well positioned to end up in the final group and take a medal if one of the top 3 bombs out.

Status
Not open for further replies.