Who is going to Skate America? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Who is going to Skate America?

icekiwi

On the Ice
Hi! I am new here. I am going Sunday for session 4 and 5! It will be my first live figure skating event and I am really excited! I am an adult figure skater and I can't wait to see these amazing athletes in person.

Hi Welcome,

Please remember to post 'live' reports for those of us who are not fortunate enough to attend 'live'. It is always great to hear a different perspective from watching live than from a square TV screen.

Thank you in advance!!!

icekiwi

On the Ice
To everyone that is going (very jealous!!)-

Please remember to post 'live' reports for those of us who are not fortunate enough to attend 'live'. It is always great to hear a different perspective from watching live than from a square TV screen.

Thank you all in advance!!!

Skatie

On the Ice
Are the Fanfest events open to anyone (I have tickets to both dance/ladies events) or is it a separate paid ticket event?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Are the Fanfest events open to anyone (I have tickets to both dance/ladies events) or is it a separate paid ticket event?

The Fan Fest has free admission.
I took a very quick swing through today.
I think the Bridgestone Performance Review events will take place there. Mini-stage was set up with rows of chairs in front.

Some activities seem targeted at kids (or "kids at heart" ;)). A table for making art (IIRC); another one for temporary tattoos or something like that.

One table was for writing notes to individual competitors ... I might go back and write a couple. Hope they actually will get delivered.

Did you see Nathan somewhere:biggrin:

I saw Nathan at unofficial practice on Wednesday.
From what I could observe of his interactions with others (mom, trainer, fellow skaters, etc.), he seems like a very down-to-earth and nice guy.
Even gave me a friendly nod on his way out although I had not attempted to speak to him (wanted to give him his space).

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Waiting in line to get autographs... I think I'm not going to get any because the line is too long, but it's worth a shot right?

I think I saw you cheerknithanson; are we allowed to say hi or is that still a no go?

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Phew! They cut the line at the family after me. Got a ton of autographs... Ashley, Karen, Bradie, shibs, parsons, and kaitlyn/jean luc. All very sweet and I got a chance to wish bradie good luck.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is it true no cameras are allowed into the events?

For practice it's fine. They only check your tickets not your bag so outside food was fine the 1st two days. But for the event while entering the building they announced no outside food, cameras and backpacks. Don't know why they waited until then to let people know.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OMG Meagan's husband just sat next to me! Too bad Meagan isn't with him, I love her!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
John Kerr sat two rows in front of me next to a couple he knew. Wish I could've heard his comments during the mens short!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Phew! They cut the line at the family after me. Got a ton of autographs... Ashley, Karen, Bradie, shibs, parsons, and kaitlyn/jean luc. All very sweet and I got a chance to wish bradie good luck.

Stupid (but serious) question about the etiquette of autograph sessions:

I made my way to the autograph area when it was very close to the scheduled endpoint of the session.

In an attempt to make the line move faster, Sora already was telling people to stop shooting photos with the skaters.

Before I showed up, I had been clinging to a feeble hope that maybe a couple of non-U.S. skaters would be included (such as Satoko :luv17:).
Was slightly disappointed (but not surprised) to see only U.S. skaters.

So ... the thing is that I do like all the U.S. skaters, but to save both their time and mine, today I would have been perfectly happy to skip all but the three skaters who have my very best wishes.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a polite/respectful way to "offer" to skip some of the skaters???
I foresee having the same issue at Sunday's autograph session.

I couldn't think of a solution today -- so I abandoned the ladies/dance line altogether.

(Happy to say that I lucked out and had separate chances [not at the autograph table] to speak to the three of greatest interest to me.)​

dailytg20

On the Ice
Does anyone have any suggestions for a polite/respectful way to "offer" to skip some of the skaters???
Interesting! Do they make you go in an assembly line through all the skaters? I could see how that could be very awkward. I would probably not be able to skip in that case since I would be afraid it would come off as being dismissive, or perhaps throwing off the flow of the line.

I could see if you appeared with full Satoko gear from head to toe or perhaps draped yourself in a Japanese flag the skaters would see that you are a superfan and would not feel bad about you skipping. :)