Who is going to Skate America? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Who is going to Skate America?

concorde

Medalist
My daughter and I are having a blast being tourists!

If you watch the jumbotrons prior to the start of each event, Rusty is welcoming everyone to Lake Placid. You will see a girl in a pink jacket in front of the Lake Placid sign -that is my daughter. Fyi - it was shot on Thursday. Talk about being at the right place at the right time.

Yesterday say Julia L and Polina T in the lobby of our hotel. We also met the Chinese lady single skater, her mom, and the Chinese ice dance pair.

We got autographs during fan fest. We got Karen to autographs her book.

Still working on getting all the trading cards. We have 36 so only 6 left to go.

We also saw the men and ladies practice sessions. Ashley was on and let's hope she continues that way over the rest of the weekend. After watching Karen yesterday, i am not as convinced as others that she has had enough time to prepare her New/old short. I am keeping my fingers crossed for her.

I was overall very impressed with how all the pairs skated last night. The final Canadian pair was amazing!

Then we saw the men! Yeah! Adam was unbelievable. During the group warm up, it was interesting to watch him "flirt skate" with the USFS official with the camera - I kept seeing Adam going to that section of the ice and finally realized the why. And Nathan - why can I say but Nathan is phenomenal.

We were both exhausted and ready for another day at SA!

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Stupid (but serious) question about the etiquette of autograph sessions:

I made my way to the autograph area when it was very close to the scheduled endpoint of the session.

In an attempt to make the line move faster, Sorah already was telling people to stop shooting photos with the skaters.

Before I showed up, I had been clinging to a feeble hope that maybe a couple of non-U.S. skaters would be included (such as Satoko :luv17:).
Was slightly disappointed (but not surprised) to see only U.S. skaters.

So ... the thing is that I do like all the U.S. skaters, but to save both their time and mine, today I would have been perfectly happy to skip all but the three skaters who have my very best wishes.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a polite/respectful way to "offer" to skip some of the skaters???
I foresee having the same issue at Sunday's autograph session.

I couldn't think of a solution today -- so I abandoned the ladies/dance line altogether.

(Happy to say that I lucked out and had separate chances [not at the autograph table] to speak to the three of greatest interest to me.)​

Sorry, I don't see any way you could do that without it appearing rude. :/ I don't really think it would save any time though, because the line only moved as fast as the person in front of me, so although I just wanted an autograph, I spent a lot of time awkwardly waiting and smiling before the next skater would take my book.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
The Fan Fest has free admission.
I took a very quick swing through today.
I think the Bridgestone Performance Review events will take place there. Mini-stage was set up with rows of chairs in front.

Some activities seem targeted at kids (or "kids at heart" ;)). A table for making art (IIRC); another one for temporary tattoos or something like that.

One table was for writing notes to individual competitors ... I might go back and write a couple. Hope they actually will get delivered.

I saw Nathan at unofficial practice on Wednesday.
From what I could observe of his interactions with others (mom, trainer, fellow skaters, etc.), he seems like a very down-to-earth and nice guy.
Even gave me a friendly nod on his way out although I had not attempted to speak to him (wanted to give him his space).

Soooooo jealous! jelly, jelly jelly ....... major jelly!

nerdexpress

Rinkside
Hey is anyone in Lake Placid and want an all event ticket? I know some of the events have passed but I’m here and have an extra ticket and it includes practice and exhibition. $50 let me know! Section 2

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After seeing misha ge twice in passing today, I finally had the right moment to get his autograph and thank him for his skates last week. :) so happy!!

concorde

Medalist
Was that your daughter who shrieked when he walked in? Lol.

I chatted with him too and congratulated him. He's here with his family eating dinner.

Probably so. She was in the pink jacket.
There was a younger girl that went up to him after we spoke with him.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Okay my parents decided that after the pairs medal ceremony, that we should heading off to go home cause of weather that might happen and to get a head start. So I only saw half of the events. I got to say that it (Minus seeing Samohin get hurt) was the best Thanksgiving break ever. Some parts of it literally made my YEAR.

concorde

Medalist
Our S.A. experience continues even today at the Albany airport! We are waiting for our flight and skater after skater is walking by.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Final Flight
Got a photo with HongBo Zhao :hap93:
And met Paul Poirier again (last time meeting was worlds...2009! kept in touch since) - oh and Piper (but separately)
Wanted to chat and get a pic with Kaitlin and Jean-Luc - but they were occupied with the boot lady getting a consultation - but had a conversation with Jean-Luc on instagram noting that I threw the banana on the ice lol