Who's going? Any good Vancouver tips? | Golden Skate

Who's going? Any good Vancouver tips?

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Thought I'd get the spoke in early and ask who's going? I've taken the plunge and am going with a friend's skating tour group. I'm travelling from Ireland on my own to spend a few days in the city before the rest of the group arrive so I'm wondering if anyone has any good tips for eateries/bars/sights to see in the city centre during those few days. Seems from what I've heard about the arena that I'll need to get some good refreshment before the events start as there may not be too much to enjoy without crowds and queues at the arena!

I'm really excited for all the events but especially so to see juniors live for the first time. Can't wait to see the city and some more quality skating and hopefully to meet and chat with some more fellow GS folk!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Be sure to include some indoor possibilities in case the weather is frightful, instead of just the standard drizzle/rain.

UBC Museum of Anthropology, Vancouver Maritime Museum, the art gallery, and the aquarium are all indoor possibilities.

For indoor/outdoor mixed, you could do the shops in Gastown, where the cruise ship passengers are taken by taxi so they can be relieved of their money without inconveniencing the residents in any way. Actually, there's some neat stuff for sale in Gastown. Granville Island is also a mix of indoor/outdoor and has lots of interesting shops. Queen Elizabeth Park is mostly outdoor but has a conservatory with exotic birds as well as plants.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
^^Seconded. It’s pretty much constantly raining here from October through March, and even if it’s light it can feel terrible when it’s already cold outside.

Edit: I will be there! With my nosebleed seats in the West bleachers. Thank god I don’t need to pay for a hotel.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I'm Irish, so rain is not a bother to me! There's no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes!

mayoto

Spectator
I’m going!! It was going to be my first time seeing a competition live until I got Autumn Classic tickets as well... I hear torched sushi is really good in Vancouver.

waxel

Final Flight
lyverbird1 -- as you know- I'll be there! I'm hoping the schedule allows for a few nice meals. I haven't started scoping out the details yet- anyone know if there are restaurants arena-adjacent?

I'm from Texas - it's already regularly 100 degrees- so I don't mind rain either. :agree:

lyverbird1

Final Flight
lyverbird1 -- as you know- I'll be there! I'm hoping the schedule allows for a few nice meals. I haven't started scoping out the details yet- anyone know if there are restaurants arena-adjacent?

I'm from Texas - it's already regularly 100 degrees- so I don't mind rain either. :agree:

I'm not encouraged by the apparent lack of good eateries around the arena. Maybe someone more local can advise? That or else a quality late night eatery in the city centre that will still be open by the time we're back there are the day's events?

cohen-esque

Final Flight
UBC is a little bit out of the way from things... I’d say try Granville St, which isn’t too far by transit or taxi and has some late night places. Roxy Burger is open til 4.

thorag

On the Ice
Country
Iceland
Do the "Flyover Canada" at Canada Place. it is wonderful! Science World is also great

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm still hoping to be able to snag a ticket -- even if it's less than a perfect seat!...I checked out the web site for Flyover Canada. It looks awesome! I have a hotel booked but nothing else.

Becki

Medalist
Richmond is pretty good too; a 20 minute ride from downtown Vancouver but has some amazing Asian (read: Chinese) cuisine and there's the historic Steveston fishing village too!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'm not encouraged by the apparent lack of good eateries around the arena. Maybe someone more local can advise? That or else a quality late night eatery in the city centre that will still be open by the time we're back there are the day's events?

let me help you... i lived by there for a long time...

UBC Thunderbird Stadium is right between two of the UBC villages... depending where you will be staying, that could be very useful.

On campus itself, there is the Student Union building for a quick bite/lunch.
There is a pub called Mahoney's and Sons... if you are not afraid to try pub food that might not be up to your Irish standards.

just across the street from Mahoney's, you have the old university village or marketplace with a couple chains (like McDonalds open 24/7). There is a decent sushi place called One more sushi and several other small joints, including a Vera's Burger if you want to experience Poutine. There is a fruit and veggies market with basics if you want to buy something for a snack. There is even a food court downstairs but I don't recommend it.

If you go further away from campus, so the other side of the stadium there is the recently built westbrook village with a new pub, some taiwanese restaurant and all sorts of smaller places. It's hard for me to tell you exactly what there is since the place was still evolving fast and i haven't been in 5 years.

Now, this is by no means anything fancy nor fun but it's conveniently situated at walking distance from the stadium. There is even a large grocery store at westbrook village. (save on foods)

If you are feeling like something nicer and open late :
but are not willing to take the bus for 30-40 minutes (UBC is far by bus from downtown) then you can try my favourite restaurant Baru Latino which is located on alma and broadway. It is always open late and it has great drinks. It's a south American restaurant. Delicious. 10 minutes away by bus from campus. Across the street there is a Brown's Pub which is a standard place for a burger/sandwhich drinks..

On Broadway in that area, you will find some other sushi places, The Eatery is fun... but often crowded..., some greek restaurants, some more pubs... a bit further, you will hit the neighbourhood called kitsilano with some more restaurants. This is all before you get to Granville street and much close than downtown. You would have to check for hours of operation as it does depend and of course, it depends not only of the restaurant but also on the day of the week.

There are really good restaurants in kitsilano: french, farm to table, thai (Maenam), some more greek, sushi, and pubs and diners.. I like Oakwood on 4th by macdonald, also open late. They make the best Old Fashioned and their menu is delicious and always seasonal. A great Bistrot.

Of course, you can hit downtown as well but do not assume that places are necessarily open late because it is downtown. In general I find that Vancouver sleeps early compared to other big towns I have lived/visited.

On campus : for lunch, there is Sage bistrot... this fancier place would be perfect if you feel like a fancy west coast meal before going to the rink. I loved it when I was around.
Vancouver's food scene is always evolving, some of the restaurants I am thinking about and even mentioning may have already closed... feel free to PM me if you have specific questions..

I remember posting about Vancouver a few times already in this forum.. most likely it was for Nationals last year.... but since we can no longer search threads that are archived, I will let you do the work.

When people mention Richmond as being 20 minutes away : sure... if you have a car.... not by transit... even downtown is hard to reach by transit if you are late and hungry.

UBC and the adjacent neighbourhoods, Point Grey and Kitsilano are filled with students : so there is always something open late... you could easily find pizza and falafels if you are not picky one night but the finer dining is closed.

In downtown, there is a lot to offer and prices vary consequently. If you are a foodie and want to experience something great and west coast Wildebeest is very pricey but worth it... however, it's on Hastings street East so do not venture late at night further East than that place or you will discover East Hastings... and it's not a tourist friendly area.

Chinatown is a popular destination as well as Granville Island (Edible Canada is a restaurant serving BC food as well as a fine grocery store if you want to purchase souvenirs.... and Sandbar is a seafood/fish restaurant... ) both are worth visiting.

ALso on 4th avenue, I forgot to mention the 24h open The Naam which is a vegetarian hippie restaurant very representative of Kitsilano's culture. It's a short bus ride away from campus... i have done the trip there and back in the middle of the night when needed.

i hope this helps

lyverbird1

Final Flight
let me help you... i lived by there for a long time...

UBC Thunderbird Stadium is right between two of the UBC villages... depending where you will be staying, that could be very useful.

On campus itself, there is the Student Union building for a quick bite/lunch.
There is a pub called Mahoney's and Sons... if you are not afraid to try pub food that might not be up to your Irish standards.

just across the street from Mahoney's, you have the old university village or marketplace with a couple chains (like McDonalds open 24/7). There is a decent sushi place called One more sushi and several other small joints, including a Vera's Burger if you want to experience Poutine. There is a fruit and veggies market with basics if you want to buy something for a snack. There is even a food court downstairs but I don't recommend it.

If you go further away from campus, so the other side of the stadium there is the recently built westbrook village with a new pub, some taiwanese restaurant and all sorts of smaller places. It's hard for me to tell you exactly what there is since the place was still evolving fast and i haven't been in 5 years.

Now, this is by no means anything fancy nor fun but it's conveniently situated at walking distance from the stadium. There is even a large grocery store at westbrook village. (save on foods)

If you are feeling like something nicer and open late :
but are not willing to take the bus for 30-40 minutes (UBC is far by bus from downtown) then you can try my favourite restaurant Baru Latino which is located on alma and broadway. It is always open late and it has great drinks. It's a south American restaurant. Delicious. 10 minutes away by bus from campus. Across the street there is a Brown's Pub which is a standard place for a burger/sandwhich drinks..

On Broadway in that area, you will find some other sushi places, The Eatery is fun... but often crowded..., some greek restaurants, some more pubs... a bit further, you will hit the neighbourhood called kitsilano with some more restaurants. This is all before you get to Granville street and much close than downtown. You would have to check for hours of operation as it does depend and of course, it depends not only of the restaurant but also on the day of the week.

There are really good restaurants in kitsilano: french, farm to table, thai (Maenam), some more greek, sushi, and pubs and diners.. I like Oakwood on 4th by macdonald, also open late. They make the best Old Fashioned and their menu is delicious and always seasonal. A great Bistrot.

Of course, you can hit downtown as well but do not assume that places are necessarily open late because it is downtown. In general I find that Vancouver sleeps early compared to other big towns I have lived/visited.

On campus : for lunch, there is Sage bistrot... this fancier place would be perfect if you feel like a fancy west coast meal before going to the rink. I loved it when I was around.
Vancouver's food scene is always evolving, some of the restaurants I am thinking about and even mentioning may have already closed... feel free to PM me if you have specific questions..

I remember posting about Vancouver a few times already in this forum.. most likely it was for Nationals last year.... but since we can no longer search threads that are archived, I will let you do the work.

When people mention Richmond as being 20 minutes away : sure... if you have a car.... not by transit... even downtown is hard to reach by transit if you are late and hungry.

UBC and the adjacent neighbourhoods, Point Grey and Kitsilano are filled with students : so there is always something open late... you could easily find pizza and falafels if you are not picky one night but the finer dining is closed.

In downtown, there is a lot to offer and prices vary consequently. If you are a foodie and want to experience something great and west coast Wildebeest is very pricey but worth it... however, it's on Hastings street East so do not venture late at night further East than that place or you will discover East Hastings... and it's not a tourist friendly area.

Chinatown is a popular destination as well as Granville Island (Edible Canada is a restaurant serving BC food as well as a fine grocery store if you want to purchase souvenirs.... and Sandbar is a seafood/fish restaurant... ) both are worth visiting.

ALso on 4th avenue, I forgot to mention the 24h open The Naam which is a vegetarian hippie restaurant very representative of Kitsilano's culture. It's a short bus ride away from campus... i have done the trip there and back in the middle of the night when needed.

i hope this helps

Wow! Amazing information and thank you!

Xena45

Rinkside
My mother and I have tickets and will be going, yay!

We've booked rooms at the Hampton Inn downtown, which seems pricey and maybe not so convenient, but I imagine it will be fun to be downtown. Neither of us have ever been to Vancouver before. I'm wondering if there are better/more convenient options. We're from the states, and I'm wondering about getting to/from the event at UBC. How's the driving in Vancouver? And how is parking at UBC? Would we be better off to take the bus?

Thanks in advance!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
There is plenty of parking in the parkade across from the arena. You can get better rates by buying a multi-day pass online (google UBC parking).

For Canadian Nationals, I got an email offering me a special pass for the entire period of the competition. It was cheap and convenient to buy it online before I went and have one less thing to worry about when I got there.

I believe the more convenient accommodation is full. There are some posts about GPF logistics in the 4CC thread (thread drift at its finest!) that you could read for more info.

nguyhm

On the Ice
I'm asking for a (female) friend. If anyone has a room with reasonable accommodations to the arena and is willing to share it for 2 nights, Tuesday and Wednesday Dec. 3-4 please let me know (PM me).

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Today I got an email that single tickets for the bleacher seats are available. These are on the Kiss and Cry end. Does anyone know, when they say bleacher seats, do they really mean bleacher seats as in "backless" seats. Just thinkin that might not be too terribly comfortable, but I'm feeling a little desperate at this point. :laugh:

Ice Diva

On the Ice
Today I got an email that single tickets for the bleacher seats are available. These are on the Kiss and Cry end. Does anyone know, when they say bleacher seats, do they really mean bleacher seats as in "backless" seats. Just thinkin that might not be too terribly comfortable, but I'm feeling a little desperate at this point. :laugh:

Sorry to tell you this, but the bleacher seats are indeed backless seats, unless they do something different from the Canadians in January. They're wooden so I'd bring a cushion ... :(