Who's going? Any good Vancouver tips? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who's going? Any good Vancouver tips?

Ice Diva

On the Ice
My mother and I have tickets and will be going, yay!

We've booked rooms at the Hampton Inn downtown, which seems pricey and maybe not so convenient, but I imagine it will be fun to be downtown. Neither of us have ever been to Vancouver before. I'm wondering if there are better/more convenient options. We're from the states, and I'm wondering about getting to/from the event at UBC. How's the driving in Vancouver? And how is parking at UBC? Would we be better off to take the bus?

Thanks in advance!

To answer your question about driving in Vancouver, it's just fine. The drive from downtown to UBC is very straightforward, the streets well signposted and mostly on a grid -- until you get to UBC. Just ensure you leave plenty of time, because at Canadians in January there were traffic jams to get into the Parkade, which is right beside the stadium. Message me and I'd be happy to help you with more info.

DonnaR

On the Ice
If you don't want to drive to UBC, the 99 express bus is a great option. It runs frequently even on weekends. I took it in January for Canadians and it was very convenient. The venue is about a 6-7 minute walk from where the bus drops you off at UBC.

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'll be coming up from Seattle along with old friends of mine who are coming in from all over the US and Canada. This is my big winter vacation! I also can't wait to see the juniors live.

My group is planning on spending the day/evening before the first official practice on Grouse Mountain. We all skate, and Grouse has an 8000sq ft outdoor skating pond! Should be fun. I've never skated on a natural outdoor pond.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
I got east bleacher tickets for days 1 and 3, sadly couldn't get one for day 2 >D: Kinda grumpy about the GPF selling out so fast. I kinda wish it was held in Rogers Arena, somehow I believe it would have sold out there (plus, much easier to access for tourists!).

melgirl25

Medalist
Hi all! So ticket master is sold out. Has anyone gotten tickets from another site? Also, I have read on the site that the Senior Ladies Free skate is on that Saturday Dec 8?

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
I got tickets for Thursday and Saturday! So excited! Kolyada and Hanyu better make the final :laugh2:

UBC Arena is really small and doesn't have a lot of food options (if any at all), so yeah, arrive prepared. UBC campus has some food options, but most of them close pretty early or aren't open at all during the weekend.
On a plus side there are express buses from UBC to the rest of Vancouver. 44 will take you downtown, 99 will take you all the way to Commercial drive. It passes Kitisilano and Mount Pleasant neighbourhoods, both have a lot of good food options.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
I'll be there! Excited to road trip from Washington to Vancouver, will be only my 2nd time in Canada!

nguyhm

On the Ice
What is the best/most affordable way to get from the airport to UBC campus (I'm staying at Triumph house across from the arena). Thanks in advance.

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
What is the best/most affordable way to get from the airport to UBC campus (I'm staying at Triumph house across from the arena). Thanks in advance.

The most affordable way is to take Canada Line skytrain till Langara/49th and then take a bus to UBC. It will take an hour and will cost around $10 if you don't have a transit card because you would have to pay twice and you also have to pay extra when you commute from the airport (I know, it's stupid).

The most reasonable way is to get a cab. It's flat rate, so that would be $35 Canadian + tip. It will take about 20-25 minutes.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Bumping this thread to see an updated list of who is going!

I’ll be there. :)

I’ll probably start a slack channel if anyone is interested in staying in touch during the event.

If you were on slack for Worlds 2016, us nationals 2017/2018 or skate Canada 2018 you won’t need to do anything!

Last edited:

nguyhm

On the Ice

I’ll probably start a slack channel if anyone is interested in staying in touch during the event.

If you were on slack for Worlds 2016, us nationals 2017/2018 or skate Canada 2018 you won’t need to do anything!

I will be there. Looking forward to seeing you @Mrs. P and chatting on slack.

ximianK

Rinkside

another option is to take the Canada line from YVR and get off 4 stops after in Bridgeport Station. The 480 UBC bus leaves there on the adjacent bus loop every 15 minutes. The fare to get to the Canada line is $7.95 and you can use that ticket for transfer onto the 480 UBC bus.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
I'm going to be there for all three days! I'm in the east bleachers, so hopefully the view won't be too bad... lol. Maybe I should bring flowers for Rika and Nathan? *knocks on wood to not jinx them*

PS I've lived in Van most of my life, but never been in Thunderbird Arena. Are they going to confiscate any drinks and food? Because I want desperately to stock up, yet...

firal

Record Breaker
PS I've lived in Van most of my life, but never been in Thunderbird Arena. Are they going to confiscate any drinks and food? Because I want desperately to stock up, yet...

From the event website FAQ section:
Can I bring my own food and beverages to the event?
Outside food and beverage are NOT permitted in the arena. Refillable water bottles are permitted. Concession stands will be open throughout the event.

What type of food and beverage options are available at the Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre?
Concession stands are located throughout the arena and include a variety of healthy meals and concession classics.

Depending on the event and time of day, fans can look forward to a selection of fresh breakfast wraps, gourmet sandwiches, artisan salads, sushi, burgers, hotdogs, chicken strips, jumbo pretzels, popcorn, ice cream sandwiches and more. Bottled water, soft drinks, coffee, draft beer, cider and wine are also available.

If you are just hiding a banana or a granola bar in your pocket or at the bottom of your purse, they might not notice it, but there's always a chance they could confiscate it. :)

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Thanks. I really do look forward to $10 sammiches and the like (unless the concessions are actually reasonably-priced)...

Ulrica

On the Ice
I'll be going by myself, it will be my first time watching at competition live so I'm pretty excited :)

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker

I'll be there with my friend Melissa. First time in Canada, first GPF. Super excited [emoji14]
What's a slack channel?!

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States

I will be there! I remember the slack channel from Worlds 2016! Would love to be a part of this one too :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I will be there! I remember the slack channel from Worlds 2016! Would love to be a part of this one too :)

Awesome! I hope we get to meet at last! I'll add you to the gpf channel!

Anyone else interested in joining the slack, just pm me your email!