Why Sakamoto should go to the Olympics! | Golden Skate

Why Sakamoto should go to the Olympics!

Liasky

Rinkside
Reasons why Kaori should go to the Olympics

Kaori Sakamoto should go to the Winter Olympics!

These are the criteria of the Winter Olympics Selection!

Women's Single
① Select the winners of the All Japan Championship Tournament.
② Comprehensively judging from those who satisfy one of the following, including 2 athletes selected in ① Choose until you reach.
A) Player of the 2nd and 3rd place in the All Japan Championship Tournament
B) ISU Grand Prix Final Participant Top 2
C) ISU World Standing top 3 at the end of the All Japan Championship Tournament
D) ISU season world ranking top three at the end of the All Japan Championship Tournament
E) Top 3 in the ISU season best score at the end of the All Japan Championship Tournament

Clearly, Sakoto Miyahara met the 1st requirement, so she must receive the first spot.

Check out the second criteria. From 2A), only two skaters are in the condition which is 2nd place Kaori Sakamoto and 3rd place Rika Kihira.

Sadly for Rika Kihira, she doesn't meet the age requirement (since she is under 15 years old). So the second spot must go to Kaori Sakamoto.

In addition, Wakaba did not do so well in GPF. Kaori, who was the first alternate, might have done better than her.

So, Kaori Sakamoto for the Winter Olympics!

P.S. No bias from this. Since I'm a Mai Mihara fan. :love:

whatif

Medalist
It all comes down to which one is the safest bet. I honestly don't believe Higuchi deserves it this year more than Sakomoto. International judges do not like Wakaba. And Sakomoto seems to be a wild card which could take them by surprise. So if we are talking fairness + best bet, and since no second chances for my personal fave Mihara, I say it should be Kaori.

Liasky

Rinkside
It all comes down to which one is the safest bet. I honestly don't believe Higuchi deserves it this year more than Sakomoto. International judges do not like Wakaba. And Sakomoto seems to be a wild card which could take them by surprise. So if we are talking fairness + best bet, and since no second chances for my personal fave Mihara, I say it should be Kaori.

Agree. I'm Mai Mihara fan too! :)

beki

Medalist
The safest bet for what, though? I agree Kaori’s probably earned it, but she and Wakaba would likely finish at about the same place in the standings.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
I wanted Mai to go to Olys but Kaori deserved this spot. It is not about rankings , standings and SBs. If we speak honestly the highest SB Wakaba got was at Lombardia and we all know how wild scoring was at that competition. Another ridiculousness happened at SA when TP turned themselves blind and Kaori was robbed of gold, if everything went fair and transparent Kaori should have won SA, become 1st alternative for GPF and get there after Medo's WD . Could she produce better results than Wakaba? I'd say yes. Kaori handled skating last last year at JWC after cracker performances from Zagitova and Marin and grabbed the bronze. She delivered at Junior Nationals and got the d title, was low balled at CoR, delivered at SA and delivered 2 clean performances here under insane pressure skating last. Its not all about standings, rankings and digits... its also ability to deliver under pressure when it matters the most. So far Higuchi proved at least 5 times that she is unable to do her best it when pressure is on. I love her, she is amazing skater , astonishing talent but I hope JSF will have reasonable decision. What is the sense of sending Wakaba when there is a huge chance that she will implode. Here is the translation of article, seems JSF is saying the same that meeting criteria doesn't mean everything and it is about the ability to deliver at Olys / https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DRvZ3UzXUAAuOS7.jpg

Liasky

Rinkside
I wanted Mai to go to Olys but Kaori deserved this spot. It is not about rankings , standings and SBs. If we speak honestly the highest SB Wakaba got was at Lombardia and we all know how wild scoring was at that competition. Another ridiculousness happened at SA when TP turned themselves blind and Kaori was robbed of gold, if everything went fair and transparent Kaori should have won SA, become 1st alternative for GPF and get there after Medo's WD . Could she produce better results than Wakaba? I'd say yes. Kaori handled skating last last year at JWC after cracker performances from Zagitova and Marin and grabbed the bronze. She delivered at Junior Nationals and got the d title, was low balled at CoR, delivered at SA and delivered 2 clean performances here under insane pressure skating last. Its not all about standings, rankings and digits... its also ability to deliver under pressure when it matters the most. So far Higuchi proved at least 5 times that she is unable to do her best it when pressure is on. I love her, she is amazing skater , astonishing talent but I hope JSF will have reasonable decision. What is the sense of sending Wakaba when there is a huge chance that she will implode. Here is the translation of article, seems JSF is saying the same that meeting criteria doesn't mean everything and it is about the ability to deliver at Olys / https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DRvZ3UzXUAAuOS7.jpg

Thanks for the information, I hope Kaori will be selected. Go Kaori & Go Mai!

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
LOL.

Let's make a similar (ridiculous) narrative, but this time in Wakaba's favour shall we?

Kaori is wildly inconsistent and unreliable, giving disastrous skates and failing to deliver at both Asian Open and US Classic this season, where she received absolutely dismal scores.

Wakaba though, has been reliable and consistent, despite competing with injuries - she has scored over 200 points at every competition this season. Even if we exclude Wakaba's well deserved score at Lombardia, her average score this season is 207.19.

Kaori's average score this season is only 192.67. Even if you exclude BOTH the Asian Open AND the US Classic, her average is STILL less than Wakaba's, and if we only consider International competitions, it's substantially less than Wakaba's.

Wakaba has been Japan's most consistent and high-scoring skater all season, and has proved that she can hold her own against Zagitova (one of the favourites for an Olympic medal): They went head to head twice this season, and both times Wakaba was only about a point behind Zagitova. If people think Zagitova is an Olympic contender, then they have to think Wakaba is too.

Wakaba was lowballed at both CoC and CoR, and tech panels looked the other way when her rivals made obvious mistakes. Consequently, she was robbed of gold at CoC and silver at CoR. In spite of this unfairness, she was the only Japanese skater to reach the GP final outright, on her own merit. Satoko was only 1st substitute and only went because Medvedeva withdrew. Kaori was only the 2nd substitute, which shows she is not strong enough in international competitions.

What is the sense of sending Kaori to the Olympics when there is a huge chance she will implode and skate like US Classic or Asian Open?

The JSF's selection criteria favour skaters with both high scoring potential and consistency/reliability. Wakaba meets 4/5 criteria, but Kaori only meets 3/5. So Wakaba clearly has both the higher scoring potential, and the best consistency - due to her outstanding track record this season, and previous seasons....

LOL. This is fun, in a perverse kind of way. I could go on, but I think I've made my point.

The only difference between my post, and the one I quoted... is that I'm not serious about such ridiculous nonsense...

I too, look forward to JSF's announcement. I will be happy for the skater that makes the Olympic team, and devastated for the one that doesn't... I love them both... they both deserve it...

Marin

Record Breaker
LOL.

Let's make a similar (ridiculous) narrative, but this time in Wakaba's favour shall we?

Kaori is wildly inconsistent and unreliable, giving disastrous skates and failing to deliver at both Asian Open and US Classic this season, where she received absolutely dismal scores.

Wakaba though, has been reliable and consistent, despite competing with injuries - she has scored over 200 points at every competition this season. Even if we exclude Wakaba's well deserved score at Lombardia, her average score this season is 207.19.

Kaori's average score this season is only 192.67. Even if you exclude BOTH the Asian Open AND the US Classic, her average is STILL less than Wakaba's, and if we only consider International competitions, it's substantially less than Wakaba's.

Wakaba has been Japan's most consistent and high-scoring skater all season, and has proved that she can hold her own against Zagitova (one of the favourites for an Olympic medal): They went head to head twice this season, and both times Wakaba was only about a point behind Zagitova. If people think Zagitova is an Olympic contender, then they have to think Wakaba is too.

Wakaba was lowballed at both CoC and CoR, and tech panels looked the other way when her rivals made obvious mistakes. Consequently, she was robbed of gold at CoC and silver at CoR. In spite of this unfairness, she was the only Japanese skater to reach the GP final outright, on her own merit. Satoko was only 1st substitute and only went because Medvedeva withdrew. Kaori was only the 2nd substitute.

What is the sense of sending Kaori to the Olympics when there is a huge chance she will implode and skate like US Classic or Asian Open?

The JSF's selection criteria favour skaters with both high scoring potential and consistency/reliability. Wakaba meets 4/5 criteria, but Kaori only meets 3/5. So Wakaba clearly has both the higher scoring potential, and the best consistency - due to her outstanding track record this season, and previous seasons....

LOL. This is fun, in a perverse kind of way. I could go on, but I think I've made my point.

The only difference between my post, and the one I quoted... is that I'm not serious about such ridiculous nonsense...

I too, look forward to JSF's announcement. I will be happy for the skater that makes the Olympic team, and devastated for the one that doesn't... I love them both... they both deserve it...

I love both too. I agree Waka was robbed many times
I was about bombing under the pressure and when delivering matters the most. I honestly don't consider bombing asian trophy and random challenger US classics same level as bombing Olympic test event (4cc) , WC in Helsinki (Where spots were gained) and Nationals where spots for Olys are decided . The fact is when she needed to deliver the most she failed. that's it.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I was about bombing under the pressure and when delivering matters the most. I honestly don't consider bombing asian trophy and US classics same level as bombing Olympic test event (4cc) , WC in Helsinki (Where spots were gained) and Nationals where spots for Olys are decided . The fact is when she needed to deliver the most she failed. that's it.
Well if it's about "bombing"... then we can say that Asian Open and US Classic proves that Kaori bombs, even when she's NOT under pressure! So how much worse will she be under the enormous pressure of the Olympics?! And with her lack of experience in senior competition?

Wakaba at 4CC or World's? Well that's SO last season! And she hardly "bombed" at this Nationals...

OK, I'll stop this now, I promise.

QuadSal

On the Ice
Can we all say that both Kaori and Wakaba deserve consideration for the spot for different reaseons:
Wakaba having the second highest score out of all the ladies, getting to the GPF and having come close to Alina in scores.
While Kaori getting 2nd at Skate America, becoming 2nd alternate and holding her own enough to be 2nd at nationals at high pressure

Leonardo

Final Flight
LOL.

Just one point: Asian open and us classic are not important competitions. They are just warm ups. The competitions later in the season are a milion times more important. I know you are kidding and all, but that is one valid point: Kaori bombed when she could bomb, Wakaba made mistakes (even if not big) when she couldn't. That's a significant difference.

jinhamasaki

Rinkside
Just one point: Asian open and us classic are not important competitions. They are just warm ups. The competitions later in the season are a milion times more important. I know you are kidding and all, but that is one valid point: Kaori bombed when she could bomb, Wakaba made mistakes (even if not big) when she couldn't. That's a significant difference.

Agree with you here, while Kaori has been improving in every competition, Wakaba has been declining. The popped 2A really hurt her IMO. I reaaaaaally like Wakaba's FS and think it's Olympic worthy, but she isn't making a strong case for herself :(

Leonardo

Final Flight
Agree with you here, while Kaori has been improving in every competition, Wakaba has been declining. The popped 2A really hurt her IMO. I reaaaaaally like Wakaba's FS and think it's Olympic worthy, but she isn't making a strong case for herself :(

Yeah, but I still want Wakaba to go. Is that too selfish?

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Hmmmm i think that tomorrow if Wakaba get the spot, the "i love both" will not matter anymore, and then.....poor Wakaba.

Marin

Record Breaker
Yeah, but I still want Wakaba to go. Is that too selfish?

I really think that at least 5 of these girls deserve to go to Olys,I love all of them . I have been thinking: Maybe JSF should consider sending both Kaori and Wakaba at 4cc head to head and decide after that. I know it's too close to Olys and whoever gets the spot should skate the Team event too , but they both train in Japan. No big flight and jetlag risk.. maybe this is doable ?:scratch2: