Why Sakamoto should go to the Olympics! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Why Sakamoto should go to the Olympics!

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Fuji TV's narrative right now seems to be heavily in Kaori's favour...

And yet, they just showed a graphic, for which selection criteria Kaori/Wakaba meet... and that seemed to say that Wakaba's 4/5 heavily outweighs Kaori's 3/5 - that Kaori's 2nd place at Nationals is her only "Plus", and Wakaba beats Kaori 4-1 on all of the other criteria, because of higher rankings/scores...

No telling if that's matches JSF's thinking thoughh. It may be Sano or Fuji TV thinking...

The waiting is killing me...! ^_^;

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Fuji TV's narrative right now seems to be heavily in Kaori's favour...

And yet, they just showed a graphic, for which selection criteria Kaori/Wakaba meet... and that seemed to say that Wakaba's 4/5 heavily outweighs Kaori's 3/5 - that Kaori's 2nd place at Nationals is her only "Plus", and Wakaba beats Kaori 4-1 on all of the other criteria, because of higher rankings/scores...

No telling if that's matches JSF's thinking thoughh. It may be Sanomiya or Fuji TV thinking...

The waiting is killing me...! ^_^;

I'd hate to be in the selection committee's shoes. There's no happy outcome for this for one of the girls.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Erm... No... Kaori bombed when it mattered at CoR. That's why she didn't reach the GP Final... (She was beaten by Wakaba at CoR too, BTW!)

Funny how scores "later in the season" are the only ones that count for Kaori... yet, people have to invoke last season's competitions to "prove" that Wakaba "bombs when it matters".

And don't tell me Kaori's CoR doesn't count as "bombing", when people are telling me that Wakaba's 200+ scores count as "bombing"... or that this Nationals counts as "bombing" when she made just 1 mistake in SP and 1 mistake in FS, and her score was barely 1 point away from the podium (and 6.5 points from silver)...

See, we can use carefully selected facts to create any narrative we like, to suit any agenda...!

Cup of Russia is not part of the selection process. Top GPF finish and Nationals could garantee a place on the team, not the world cup circuit. And no, Wakaba's 200+ are not bombing. As I said, Wakaba did make mistakes when it mattered the most, but they were not big mistakes, just mistakes at a very very wrong time.
Anyway, this whole Wakaba x Kaori is so disgusting. Both girls are lovely and I actually prefer Wakaba, but I'm just pointing out that it's not an easy decision and if Kaori goes, I will understand. If Wakaba goes, I will be incredibly happy for her and a bit sad for Kaori.

Imho, Wakaba was the kind of runner with a great start and than got slower next to the finish point. Wakaba had a horrible start and got so fast next to the finish point that we can't see who crossed the finish point first.

Liasky

Rinkside
Go Sakamoto!!!! I'm crying with full of happiness.

Do anyone know if WC and 4CC will be annouced tonight?

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Cup of Russia is not part of the selection process.
Wrong, CoR is part of Grand Prix series -> needed to reach GPF -> GPF result is a selection criteria

All academic now, of course.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
The announcement is settled for Kaori. Congratulations to Kaori for earning the Olympic berth. I hope Kaori keeps us surprised with her jumps and performances as well in the Olympics. I'm sad for Wakaba, but she should've delivered when it mattered most.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Wrong, CoR is part of Grand Prix series -> needed to reach GPF -> GPF result is a selection criteria

All academic now, of course.

No. GPF result is a criteria, not CoR. Wakaba was last there with mistakes in the free. Sakamoto didn't reach the GPF. Both didn't fullfill the criteria. But this is all past. I was just showing that either result would be reasonable. Seriously, all this Kaori x Wakaba controversy is just bad. Things are really close, it could be either way and it went to Kaori. Let's move on, please.

Both are beautiful skaters, both have strong and weak points, this is not a scandalous or an unfair decision, it's just what it is. Extremely close. Wakaba got worlds, Sakamoto olympics. Seriously not an easy decision.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
No. GPF result is a criteria, not CoR.
And how can a skater reach the GPF, get a GPF result, and meet that criteria... if they go to CoR and bomb it?

Of course it's part of the criteria.
It's perfectly obvious.
Simple, straightforward, incontrovertible logic.

Stop being obtuse.

Both didn't fullfill the criteria.
Wrong.
Kaori didn't meet that criteria.
Wakaba DID meet that criteria: She was in the top 2 of Japanese skaters at the GPF.
This fact has been splurged all over Japanese TV, ever since the GPF ended.

Leonardo

Final Flight
And how can a skater reach the GPF, get a GPF result, and meet that criteria... if they go to CoR and bomb it?

Of course it's part of the criteria.
It's perfectly obvious.
Simple, straightforward, incontrovertible logic.

Stop being obtuse.

Wrong.
Kaori didn't meet that criteria.
Wakaba DID meet that criteria: She was in the top 2 of Japanese skaters at the GPF.
This fact has been splurged all over Japanese TV, ever since the GPF ended.

I was trying to show the same point as you: both deserve it, both have strong and weak points, the decision was extremely close and it could go either way.

But ok, you are right and I'm wrong. You win, congrats. This discussion is pointless anyway, I won't reply it.

skatefan17

On the Ice
Everyone keeps saying the decision was so close, could have gone either way, etc but Kaori performed better and had better results, period. This should be treated as a sport, since it is one, even though it's an artistic sport. Kaori didn't get a chance to go to GPF because she only got one GP assignment from what I understand so that criterion is null.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Kaori didn't get a chance to go to GPF because she only got one GP assignment from what I understand so that criterion is null.

Errr no. Kaori was 2nd alternate for the GPF and very much did compete twice. She was at CoR as her first assignment where she placed 5th.

It was still right to send Kaori, she earned her ticket.

ks777

Record Breaker
I am so happy for Satoko and Kaori but so heartbroken for Wakaba:sad4: